$3r, sick action holding AK with big stack

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
firstly, i wasnt utg, i was mp1, converter messed up

poker stars, $3.30 Buy-in (200/400 blinds, 50 ante) NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

Hero (UTG): 52,725 (131.8 bb)
UTG+1: 24,174 (60.4 bb)
MP1: 28,336 (70.8 bb)
MP2: 3,850 (9.6 bb)
BTN: 5,588 (14 bb)
SB: 17,399 (43.5 bb)
BB: 44,548 (111.4 bb)
MP3: 4,785 (12 bb)
CO: 4,829 (12.1 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is UTG with K
heart.gif
A
diamond.gif

2 folds, Hero raises to 1,200, UTG+1 raises to 6,000, 3 folds, SB raises to 10,800, Hero crys

I have a very very very very very very very laggy image and im pretty sure, i was being 3bet light, no noteable reads on sb

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB has seen a UTG raise, UTG+1 3-bet and is min-rereraising for over half his stack? i don't really see how he can have anything but AA/KK here.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im mp1 not utg, converter just sucks, sb also knows that i have been ridiculously laggy inc showing bluffs

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably push all in here, and cry if i'm called by AA or KK. You gotta play to win these games, and if what you say is right, and you're showing down bluffs etc, then you're probably ahead of what he has, AQ or worse. I think you're likely a coin-flip with 66-JJ.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
goddammit the converter tilts me.

i'm still folding fwiw. the wacky action makes your table image largely irrelevant.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are we during the rebuy period?

I don't think tourney players are capable of cold 4-bet bluffing...

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are we during the rebuy period?

I don't think tourney players are capable of cold 4-bet bluffing...

looking at the blinds i think we're not in the rebuy period anymore.

You guys are probably right, he probably has aces or kings (queens maybe?) but it is hard for me to commit to that as i have an ace and a king in my hand. I'm still sticking to my read of a pocket pair 66-JJ, maybe queens...although, from my experience, small pocket pairs tend to push all in rather than raise big. What does the original reraiser have to raise a raised pot. You'd expect a big hand from him as well... AQ? AK as well? Jacks?

You're probably beaten, but I'm going to push allin here and lose. Getting his chips seems to put me in a much better position to win the tournament - a much better payout than making it ITM only.... It may be a leak in my game I have to plug though.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold. Just the one reraise, I'd stick around, but with 2, your best case scenario is that you're up against pocket Qs or Js AND an AQ or something, which takes away one of your outs.

S

swampdonkey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what is SB doing putting in well over half of their stack on a rereraise.
why not all?
could be playing aces cute but any other hand (KK QQ) should be pushed all the way.
weird action.
i would fold AK thinking that AA or KK was out there with the raise reraise.
If he has anything less than AA i don't see how a serious player makes this raise leaving less than half of their chips back.
3.30 game? is it possible one nut case got through? Fold.

C

Caysewell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got confused by the HH.
So if you are in MP1,
1) You raised to 1200, some guy reraised to 6000 and SB 4bet or
2) Some guy raised, you 3bet and SB 4bet?

SB not putting all his chips in I would say it's more that he doesn't know what he's doing. But I would shove and hope to win the coin flip. I'm never afraid to race. (Like Styrofoam, it may be a leak in my game). If they show AA/KK, I'd cry.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold being afraid of going 3 way and the nuts in the other guys hand.

Although I too still don't really get your position in the hand.
Repost it raw imo

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got confused by the HH.
So if you are in MP1,
1) You raised to 1200, some guy reraised to 6000 and SB 4bet or
2) Some guy raised, you 3bet and SB 4bet?

SB not putting all his chips in I would say it's more that he doesn't know what he's doing. But I would shove and hope to win the coin flip. I'm never afraid to race. (Like Styrofoam, it may be a leak in my game). If they show AA/KK, I'd cry.

Nah he knows what he's doing but is doing a poor job of trying to hide it. Putting over 50% of your chips in pre but not going all in is 99.99% KK/AA like Dorkus said. I'd honestly be surprised if QQ or less showed up.

Action: cry some more.... then grudgingly fold b/c all things considered you got out of there without losing much. btw that's incredible how much a$$ you are beating at that table... 52k???

J

jrmonty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everyone else here I am thinking AA/KK maybe QQ which we getting crushed by gotta fold really.Even if he is playing any other pair really weird we still are only flipping.

But to be honest if it was me playing i would probably call cos I am an idiot :D . I should really learn to fold when i know i am beat lol.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sigh folded in the end after tanking and the 3better snap shoved a,q and the sb called with kings. Is ther eany arguement to shoving to take a 3way because of 1 our chip stack and 2 the side pot generated would be big

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sigh folded in the end after tanking and the 3better snap shoved a,q and the sb called with kings. Is ther eany arguement to shoving to take a 3way because of 1 our chip stack and 2 the side pot generated would be big
Why are you trying to get your chips in as a dog when your stack is so huge? Extra chips have marginal utility for sure, and I'm suprised this is even a thread.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

lol the ace hit didnt it? ;)

there's no argument that can be made for calling here. the guy behind you can of course be 3-betting light, but the SB simply has to have AA/KK here.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 14.704% 14.09% 00.61% 2614906560 113427640.00 { AKo }
Hand 1: 15.437% 15.06% 00.38% 2794648056 69700954.00 { 66+, A3s+, K7s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, A8o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 2: 69.858% 69.47% 00.38% 12890751816 71091118.00 { KK+ }

feel free to argue with those ranges but unless you really stretch things it's still going to be a fold.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no the kings held

Ive just never been big stack in a tourny before, so didnt really know if we should be gambling more

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no the kings held

Ive just never been big stack in a tourny before, so didnt really know if we should be gambling more
You should be gambling less right?

Here's my take on things:

Tournament chips have diminishing marginal utility, or in less fancy words, your next 1000 chips aren't as good as the previous 1000.

So like, having 1 chip is WAY BETTER than having 0, because you can actually win. Having 8 big blinds is better than having 1 chip, because now you have some fold equity preflop. 25 big blinds is a little better than 8 because you can resteal, but it wasn't as good as the jump from 1 chip to 8bb's, gaining fold equity preflop.

In this situation you've got everyone at the table covered, and you're probably among the chip leaders. The extra chips won't really be of much use. You can't cover the table *more*, so you should be looking to protect your stack.

Your stack gives you two luxuries:

1) You can wait through rising blinds for situations that are clearly a large edge for you.
2) You can play looser, and take gambles for small amounts of chips in order to put yourself in huge +EV situations for lots of chips. (So in poker terms, you can do things like call 3-bets with a wide range against deep-stacked players, ect.)

The AK situation just risks a large portion of your stack in a situation where you are clearly a dog to their combined range. So I don't see any upside here. Yes, 30% of the time you will really position yourself to make a deep run, but you're already essentially in that position, and the other 70% of the time you lose the ability to cover a player like the big blind in this hand.

Now keep in mind, this is just me theorizing. I'm a decent HORSE tourney player, but other than that, I haven't really made any final tables. So I may be way off base here, but to me, that seems logical.

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, that seems to be right on the money; and really demonstrates the thinking behind a tournament game decision.