$35 SnG hand: KJ

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Few reads, but so far 'CanYouPlay53' is loose-passive. I've been playing my usual super-tight super-aggressive style, and this was a rare limp from the SB.

He had made this weak call-down move several times before with weak draws or even A-high, and I was pretty sure that he was on the club draw. Sure a made flush was a possibility, but why bet that much on the river? My gut was telling me that I was ahead on the flop and turn, but check the river with marginal hands ran through my head, and I checked to him.

Anyways - what do you do here?

pokerstars GAME #5484421535: TOURNAMENT #27711964, $35+$3 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL I (10/20) - 2006/07/07 - 17:39:08 (ET)
Table '27711964 1' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: jackpotjojo (1270 in chips)
Seat 2: CanYouPlay53 (1560 in chips)
Seat 3: dinosaur7 (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: Killer88 (1450 in chips)
Seat 5: UCtony (1310 in chips)
Seat 6: ChuckTs (1940 in chips)
ChuckTs: posts small blind 10
jackpotjojo: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ChuckTs [Kh Jh]
CanYouPlay53: calls 20
dinosaur7: folds
Killer88: folds
UCtony: folds
ChuckTs: calls 10
jackpotjojo: checks
*** FLOP *** [Jc 6c 2c]
ChuckTs: bets 60
jackpotjojo: calls 60
CanYouPlay53: calls 60
*** TURN *** [Jc 6c 2c] [8s]
ChuckTs: bets 180
jackpotjojo: folds
CanYouPlay53: calls 180
*** RIVER *** [Jc 6c 2c 8s] [4d]
ChuckTs: checks
CanYouPlay53: bets 1300 and is all-in
ChuckTs:.........

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ez fold, smells like he flopped a flush, certainly 2 pair or better, maybe a set

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the only thing I would say is that this early in a tourney, you have the luxury of saying "I don't understand what he's doing right now, but I can take my time and figure it out and make my stand later".

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is an easy fold.

I'd put him on a set, but as you pointed out he has played Ace-high to the river in previous plays. On a draw heavy board lay this down and take his chips later on with something more substantial than top pair good kicker.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I called :confused:

*** RIVER *** [Jc 6c 2c 8s] 4♦
ChuckTs: checks
CanYouPlay53: bets 1300 and is all-in
ChuckTs: calls 1300
*** SHOW DOWN ***
CanYouPlay53: shows [5c Qh] (high card Queen)
ChuckTs: shows [Kh Jh] (a pair of Jacks)
CanYouPlay53 is sitting out
ChuckTs collected 3200 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3200 | Rake 0
Board [Jc 6c 2c 8s 4d]
Seat 1: jackpotjojo (big blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 2: CanYouPlay53 showed [5c Qh] and lost with high card Queen
Seat 3: dinosaur7 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Killer88 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: UCtony (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: ChuckTs (small blind) showed [Kh Jh] and won (3200) with a pair of Jacks

Call me crazy, but It was almost an instacall for me - his overbet was screaming please don't call me (and no, I'm not sticking with my decision based on the weird results, I really did think that my gut feeling was right, and hence why I called). It's very rare that I make a call like this, and in hindsight a call seems crazy, but they say to stick with your first gut feeling, and that for me was that he was drawing. Though it was still pretty dangerous - he could have had anything - 68, 53, any other garbage like that that would connect with that board.

I was pretty distracted when this happened, and my hands acted before I could think. I completely understand if you think that this is a fishy call by me - I'd be thinking the same thing of anyone else posting something like this - but my gut feeling was very strong, and I acted on it.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
CanYouPlay53 showed [5c Qh] and lost with high card Queen...:hmmmm:

polingpower

polingpower

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree there JQ at the most have auto muck on . i myself rarely show my cards.. TMI FOR FREE :D
HE GOT CAUGHT WILL HIS PANTS AROUND HIS ANKLES FOR SURE LOL
good call chuck see it all the.. well not all the time, some are smart enought to check the auto muck button:withstupi

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chuck, it's amazing how many donkey plays like you exposed can be found even at the higher buy-in SnGs and tourneys - good call.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm surprised you called Chuck. It SEEMED like he was slowplaying the flush but he was obviously setting up a bluff after he didn't hit his low flush. You ruined his table image and caught his bluff. Nice work!

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ChuckTs said:
Call me crazy

Your crazy! Personally I wouldnt risk that much on TP that early in the tourny, especially on a drawing board like that but kudos Chuck, great reasoning :D . It did smell out of place but im not gambling to early.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands