$330 NLHE MTT: Flop a Flush 6 handed

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blinds are 50/100. I have about 12,500 off a 10,000 starting stack.

UTG+1 limps. Girl in Mid Position (Villain) Hesitates then Limps. She has about 13,000 and seems decent and aggressive. if she's in a pot she is usually betting a lot. CO limps. He is a major fish destined to lose his chips very soon and I'm trying to play pots with him. I'm on the button and praying to have a hand I can limp along with. I look down at :10s4::8s4: and happily limp along. SB limps and BB checks his option. So we are 6 players to a flop and Immediately I am regretting limping along, I wish I would have raised it up to isolate the fish. But, I didn't.

Pot contains 600. flop is :qs4::9s4::6s4:

checks around to the girl in mid position and she bets 375. the fish folds and I raise it up to 1,000. It folds back to her and she instantly calls without thinking and before the dealer can pull in the bets I see her check her cards. I am assuming this is a suit check. I immediately put her on a pair with a spade and she wants to remember which of her 2 cards is a spade.

Going to the turn pot contains 2,600 and the turn is the :3s4:
She leads for 1,600.

Action on me. Now what?

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold...he have the K or A of flush....that seems to be value bet. What you did after all ?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a call because her turn bet doesn't really make a lot of sense with 4 spades showing.

If villain is holding:

-As: her turn bet makes little sense. All non-flush hands and smaller flushes are easily folding to that bet size and she isn't getting value from it. With a nut flush and knowing you had a hand worth raising her on the flop, I would think villain would either check to you to give you a chance to bet out or would bet much smaller to give you a good price to call with any decent spade.

-Ks, Js: again, doesn't make sense because you're folding all non-flush hands and only calling with As or Ks (if villain has Js)

So, by villain betting out, she is in a situation where she is either only getting called by hands that beat her or she isn't getting any value for her nut flush by giving you an opportunity to fold a smaller flush/non flush hands.

However, as the Clarkmeister Theorem states, 4 suits on a board is perfect to bluff at when you don't have a suit/small suited card because you could either get:

-small flushes that beat you to fold
-non flush hands that beat your non-flush hand to fold

...Yes, the theorem is for a 4 suited board on the river, but I think it still applies here. Also, since villain is first to act, this gives her the perfect opportunity to bluff at the board.

Given the villain's preflop limp and your evaluation of her being decent and aggressive, we can eliminate a lot of big hands like AK, 1010+, AQs, etc that villain would've raised with. We can also eliminate hands like As/x because of her turn bet.

Hands like Ks10+ and Js10+ hands are likely to be limped in as are smaller pairs with a spade, suited connectors, suited 1 gappers, or non-suited connectors with a spade. 66 is possible for a set as I would expect villain to raise 99 or QQ, but then her flop bet/call reraise makes little sense if she has a set on that wet of a board....

Given the bet size and possibly safely assuming she doesn't have the As, I think the turn bet is either a bluff with no spades or a semi-bluff with a spade under As with the intent of pushing you out of the hand. Again, pushing you out doesn't make sense with nut flush. So, possible hands villain could be holding Js10x, Ks10x, 5s5x, 4s5s, etc.

So, I would just smooth call the bet and it'll very likely shut down the villain on the river. The river would probably go check-check, which you are beating a lot of possible limp hands w/ a spade villain could have, unless it something crazy like Ks2x. Even if villain has Js or Ks to beat you, your turn call stops her from making any type of river bet with these hands.

If villain does make a small bet on river, like a blocking bet, I'd probably just call given the thought process above. Again, As is very unlikely for villain to be holding giving the turn play, and seeing that you called a bet with 4s showing, villain knows you're at least holding a spade. So, her river bet is likely a value bet bluff representing the As to get you to fold as she has no show down value and would likely just check any small spade in her hand.

Last edited:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a standard fold. This is generally like KsQx type of hand.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I folded. And she didn't show.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts