$320 NLHE STT: What do you guys think?

M

mild7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars 300+20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t15/t30 Blinds - 6 players - View hand 1278750
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): t3605 120.17 BBs
BTN: t3520 117.33 BBs
SB: t1445 48.17 BBs
BB: t1550 51.67 BBs
UTG: t1170 39 BBs
MP: t2210 73.67 BBs

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is CO with A 9
1 fold, MP calls t30, Hero calls t30, BTN raises to t120, 3 folds, Hero calls t90

Flop: (t315) 3 4 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets t150, Hero calls t150

Turn: (t615) 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets t300, Hero calls t300

River: (t1215) 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets t650, Hero folds

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couldn't get much worse to be honest.

Fold preflop, you have doubled up in a tournament, you don't really need to get involved for a while.

B

Brave_n_Crazy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems very passive play on your part. I see no reason to call the turn bet, though I'm not sure why you played the hand in the first place. It will be interesting to see what others say but for me, this looks messy.

M

mild7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was play money SNG, but I treated as I play with real money SNG. coz I'm still learning the strategy.

I was thinking of hitting an A or 9. I continued the call because I was thinking I have the high card, but when the river came I realized that BTN must have some kind of a pair at least.

So what do you guys usually thinks when you are in this situation?

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call preflop was ok. villians bet on flop wasnt that high, so raise him and see what happens. if he reraises then he has it, so fold. if he calls, try 2nd-barreling on turn, again, if he calls/raises, he has it.

and for a minute I thought you had deposited and gone into a high-stake sng, lol!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I either raise or fold as my first action preflop. Which one I choose really depends on my reads on the other players - did you have any in this case?

Playing a medium ace out of position sucks and once we get to that flop we can pretty much check-fold with confidence. If villain is bluffing us out with KJ or something then so be it but most of the time we're either up against a bigger ace or a pair.

We're only 12.7% to catch an ace or nine on the turn by the way, and we're only 24% to catch one if we see both the turn and the river. So calling just hoping to hit one of those isn't a great strategy, especially since we could hit and still be way behind - if villain has TT+ then hitting a nine doesn't help us and if he has a better ace (AT+) then hitting an ace obviously doesn't save us either.

That said it's been a lot of years since I've played any play money games and maybe the players are bad enough that it's OK to call this river expecting a chop and even a win sometimes... just for the love of all that's unholy don't do it in a real money game.

M

mild7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the opinions guys...I just played real money SnG, it's very small buy in though..either I got lucky or the opponents were unlucky hehehe..I won it. But you guys are right, playing real money and play money are totally different..here's the round where I got lucky, Real money SnG.

Z

Zync

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded preflop after the raise from Button. A smooth call after a limper might be ok but I try not to do it unless i'm on the button. If the button raise or call, you are out of position with a hand that is dangerous to play. For me, this is a clear fold after button raise. No way that I way to play this hand out of position. Concerning the call on flop and turn, I don't see how you can improve your hand.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope you are not US player that just started your roll on PS... Sorry all for the mess our Gov has made.

On the hand I think you should raise pre-flop a limp is ok too. IN this case you were raised and were out of position. Your had is not very good and you have enough chips to take your time so you should fold it and pick another time/place. If you are Gus Hansen you can play this type of hand OOP if you want but that is because he has a great post flop game (since you are more or less just starting out likely are still developing your game post flop, so just pick your spots till you have seen enough hands to know how to play well OOP post flop).

I think it is important to know what type of players you are up against so you can put your oppenents on a range here. With play chips it can be tough but it is still equally important to know the skill and comfort of the player you are up against. We dont know this so it is tough to suggest any real play other than playing it straight up.

Anyway after the flop a check is good... with his C-bet he is too either 1)missed the flop but has two good cards, or 2) his hand was so good that the low flop does not matter or unlikely 3) the flop gave him a set. I think your options here are either fold or raise. I would fold because he has a big chip stack, If he were small stack I would put more pressure on him. Again you have time to pick your spots so throw this one away.

You call and the turn comes out. The 4 is not a great card for him but also not likely a good card for you so I again would check / Fold. He bet you call.

The river comes out and is a 7. This is not a good card for you but for him also not a very good card. Here the board has paired up twice and you have an Ace. I think again you either check here and hope to see showdown. If he bets I may or may not call to see what he has as your A kicker may be good but likely expect a split at best.

In some cases you could make a play for the pot on the river with a bet as two pair on the board I am sure is not what the villian wanted to see. However you really would need the right table image and your opponent would need to be observant to think that perhaps you had been slow playing a good hand. However that type of play is likely asking too much of your oppoents in the play chips and micro stake limits.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Terrible.

Edit : Just realised it is a play money game, better un-reg from that $320 sit and go that i am waiting to fill.........Figured it was to good to be true, oh for the 2003 days :(

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible.

Edit : Just realised it is a play money game, better un-reg from that $320 sit and go that i am waiting to fill.........Figured it was to good to be true, oh for the 2003 days :(
haha lol'd

imo fold pre. if you don't like that, raise to isolate limper.
never call that raise from BTN. A9o is a trouble hand, you'll never win in the long run (especially OOP).

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible.

Was thinking the same thing!