$30 NLHE MTT Turbo Rebuy: soft table, bottom set scary board.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a live $30 turbo tourney with 1 $30 rebuy and 1 $15 addon. We have not reached the addon portion of the tourney and I have already used my rebuy.

I have 13,000 chips average is about 15,000. We are 6 handed and blinds are 100/200 so I have 65bb.

2 folds and I have:4c4::4d4: in the CO so I raise to 600

Button folds, SB flats, BB flats.

SB is a girl with about 16,000 who barely knows how to play, I've seen her overvalue top pair several times tonight. It is worth noting there was a ladies freeroll at this club earlier and most of the bustouts are playing in this 2nd tourney so the field is very soft due to a freeroll mentality. I had played several hours with this girl in the other tourney.

The BB is a solid LAG with about 25,000.

flop comes :4h4::5h4::7h4:

pot contains 1,800 and both players check to me so I bet 1,200.

The girl in the SB instantly jams for 16,000 and the BB folds.

Now what? call or fold?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played: Easy fold for me, i am not commited!

But i really do not like your cbet!

Last edited:
PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The cbet is good,and probabily i will call here,,SB as you describe her can have something like Ah 7 , ori maybe a pocket pair like 88/99

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Yes this spot is not commited and fold but I think that she exerts pressure with semibluff :D

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cbet is absolutely mandatory, seems like a clear call imo given reads.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am never fold set, even if board will be very coordinated, vs best hands you will have around 36% equity, vs worse hands more equity, so i am call. The worst scenario would be if villain have set too, but will be not so often..

InsertMoreCoins

InsertMoreCoins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The cbet is good,and probabily i will call here,,SB as you describe her can have something like Ah 7 , ori maybe a pocket pair like 88/99

cbet is absolutely mandatory, seems like a clear call imo given reads.

I follow the same thought path as these two. Good continuation bet and her shove seems like an action killer on such a wet board. Smells like a semi-bluff with a big draw, probably an :ah4: with a pair, so I'd put you as marginal favorite. With how you describe her even just 66 would look amazing to her.

Even if you're behind the board could pair, too.

How'd it turn out?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks guys. I thought it was probably a standard call given our stack sizes, and with my read I snap called. I think with deeper stacks and a better opponent I could potentially fold bottom set on a board like this with that kind of pressure, but in game I went with it.

It didn't turn out too well for me, but I thought it was still the right decision. I thought if she flopped a flush she would play it a little slower so I thought she had some kind of big draw or maybe just 2 pair.

earlier I'd seen her check raise J8 on a Qj8 flop, she then led out on the 9 on the turn and she jammed the river when a blank hit, her opponent folded and she showed the J8 very proudly. I don't think she even noticed the 4 card straight or realized her bet would only get called when she was beat which just re-confirmed to me that she overvalues hands.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet is fine but calling the shove was not necessary as the amount is just too big to risk even though the player is loose and overvalues her hands.

Why take such a big chance calling a big shove even though the player is loose and doesn't seem to know much. Still too big a risk. :eek:

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This situation is flip for me. I would either fold or call.

Since this is a rebuy/add-on tourney, have to gamble and go on with calling.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what... the first thing I thought is Im probably going to check here for a few reasons. Why is a c bet mandatory in any sense? They prolly aren't folding their AhX obviously or most up n down draws/pair draw combo. Any pressure leads us to this guessing spot. Not to mention I can think of about 5 times I flopped a set against a flopped flush n failed to improve. IMO if we expect them to continue with their drawy hands and almost NEVER fold, then why not get more info on the turn? We can still boat up and prolly still stack a stubborn flush trapping OR we can escape as cheap as possible if villain does catch one of their cards. What is the value in C betting and what is the value of being somehow happy to instantly snap call a shove. I wouldn't feel great about anything on my side the way it played out on the flop action.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the value in C betting and what is the value of being somehow happy to instantly snap call a shove. I wouldn't feel great about anything on my side the way it played out on the flop action.

The value of Cbetting is in getting my money in ahead against most of their range and denying a freecard on a very draw heavy board. This is a turbo tourney, you gotta get it in sometime.

I wasn't happy to snap call. There is a difference between making a quick decision and being happy about it. For instance when a short stack shoves like 3BB into me and I'm the BB and everybody else folds I'm calling with almost any 2 cards; it's a snap call and a quick decision and I'm not happy about it at all.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The value of Cbetting is in getting my money in ahead against most of their range and denying a freecard on a very draw heavy board. This is a turbo tourney, you gotta get it in sometime.

I wasn't happy to snap call. There is a difference between making a quick decision and being happy about it. For instance when a short stack shoves like 3BB into me and I'm the BB and everybody else folds I'm calling with almost any 2 cards; it's a snap call and a quick decision and I'm not happy about it at all.
I get what ur saying, but I think its a natural reaction to always want to deny the free card on draw heavy boards. I feel like Ive been getting better results believing in my skill and reads n wanting to see the board play out in a lot of situations. Also in this particular one ur hand could actually improve in the rare instances that u are behind. (which I know I have experienced sadly) If the board does pair, u know for sure this type of player is married to her flush or straight hands regardless. I know that strategy in turbos is different. Im not hating the way u played it, just opening a discussion. I might have played it the same way as u, but when I asked about the VALUE Im asking what hands in particular are u getting value from calling. Ahx or Khx? Pair + draw hands? Overpairs? A lot of those hands have so much equity left anyway that I just feel like maybe sometimes we play our hands like this TOO fast because we get worried about the draws that might get there anyway w a stubborn caller. That being said were u c betting for value or to get a fold in particular. I guess that's almost what it all boils down to. Also I suppose in the end more than anything this hand has to do with the villain type and ur read. Do u play it differently against a tighter player, or a LAG player who u respect? N if yes (obv) how so?

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, c betting HU vs multiway pot is a completely different debate as well. I think I would prolly cbet close to 100% here 3 or 4 handed, which could easily be the case w a flopped set w small to med pairs. Everyone agree w that?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a live $30 turbo tourney with 1 $30 rebuy and 1 $15 addon. We have not reached the addon portion of the tourney and I have already used my rebuy.

I think with deeper stacks and a better opponent I could potentially fold bottom set on a board like this with that kind of pressure, but in game I went with it.

U have made all your re-buys, but add-on cost half the rebuy amount!

All it takes to win a tourney is chips and the chair and pair of balls - does not really matter which kind of balls we are talking about :)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
U have made all your re-buys, but add-on cost half the rebuy amount!

All it takes to win a tourney is chips and the chair and pair of balls - does not really matter which kind of balls we are talking about :)

So try to squeak by till the addon to buy some half priced chips? I've heard of being tight on the bubble so you can min cash..but being tight in the rebuy period so you can add on? I don't get the logic there. Why not just sit out until the addon and start with a full stack + addon then?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general..

In rebuy tourneys is add-on everything - If you are not willing to play until add-on, there is no point of playing it at all! imo ( note that it depends on payout structure too)

rebuy period we should only risk knocked out in this tourney where we know almost certainly that we win at showdown! During the rebuy period people tend to be loose, even taking high risk knowing, because they could rebuy!

Idea of starting beginning of rebuy tourney is to accumulate huge stack without risking to knock out of the tourney+ getting valuable reads on villains! If you feel you have some sort edge of the field, start beginning of the tourney and play small ball poker (as they call it), do not take high variance risk's during this period!

After add-on people seems to tighten up, since they know if they lose, they will be out of tourney! Even fish probably knows that! This is the time for loosen up your game and hopefully we succeed rebuy period to double up safely to play fancy game!

Summary: You should make opposite what people are doing at given field imo

Last edited: