$3 NLHE Turbo Rebuy: $$3 NLHE Turbo Rebuy: $$3.30 NLHE Turbo Rebuy: Folding Aces pre flop????

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3 NL HE Turbo Rebuy: $$3 NL HE Turbo Rebuy: $$3.30 NL HE Turbo Rebuy: Folding Aces pre flop????

I was in a satelite to the 750K guranteed on Full tilt recently. Top 8 i think it was, got entry to the tournament. There was 11 people left, im 6th in chips ( but that was still only 15 or so BB) im in BB with AA. folded round to SB who is the chip leader and he shoves.

WHat do i do? Fold and hope to sit it out and win entry or do i take being 4:1 fav and call?

I ended up making the call and SB flip over A3 off.

He had the ace of hearts......u know whats coming.....

FLop : KhQh7h
Turn : 2s
River: 9h

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Can i fold AA pre flop under any circumstance???

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you can fold AA in some satellites but this was not a spot where you could have. Sorry you took the 10% bad beat here.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you can fol aces preflop but it has to be a very special situation. Personally i never folded a pair of aces since i started playing poker.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold AA pre-flop, especially when it's HU. You made the right decision. Legit bad beat.

If it was a family pot where 8 other people went all-in, I'd think twice about it.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's an interesting read on that subject from ESPN's Bernard Lee:

Folding Aces Preflop

Several of you need to read this link ^^^^

Perfect example, and yes, I have and will in the future fold AA ... in the right situation. For all the reasons cited in this article.

In a satty like this where you have determined you can survive the bubble play, folding is a 100% guarantee that you CANNOT lose the hand.

For the "I play to win" theorists ... so do I. If I fold to a win, haven't I won? 1st, 5th or 8th ... would have been a win. Finishing 8th would have been the same as finishing 1st. What shame is there in taking the top prize, no matter how you get there ??? :confused:

I would much prefer to have my chip stack carry me to a win instead of having my AA that I simply cannot lay down carry me to the rail. For those who would still play their AA, I'll be busy playing the $750,000 guarantee while you are posting your BBV forum thread ... :D

JohnnyFronts

JohnnyFronts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites are the only times where you should be folding AA preflop if the situation calls for it. You stated that at 15 BB's you were 6th in chips out of 11. Im just going to guess that there were some pretty short stacks (less than 5 BB's) if it is a standard satellite, so yes, fold and let the short stacks take themselves out while you glide to a win. If the shorties double up then you might have to take some risks, but at this point you can wait a few orbits and hope they bust.

Rule of thumb in satellites: Don't put your tourny life at risk if you don't have to, be the one to put someone elses tourny life at risk.

Edit: Please include the rest of the table dynamics in future posts for more in depth analysis, things such as blind level, table position, stack sizes all that. This is a vague example and stack sizes are a HUGE consideration in similar scenarios.

H

headtrip13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding Aces

Against a big stack bully heads up I would never fold AA, this is exactly the situation I would want, there is no hand that you could fear so you did the right thing, I guess you coulda waited as there was only 3 people that you had to outwait, but then you had the chance that your chips would grow icicles and the shorty's would double up while your stack melted away, good play bad result

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this spot, there's no way you can fold. Your hand holds here, you're probably getting the ticket.

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As hard as it is to do it, I think it is an easy fold. 1-8 pays the same. You definately dont want to go against the big stack here. If its a short stack shoving at you, I make the call. You got unlucky here and missed your ticket

chukky88

chukky88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i folded few times AA in duble up tournaments,but in very special situations...i think you made the right move by calling in this situation...just a bad beat...

ImolAyrton

ImolAyrton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the bigstack shoves from the SB with everybody folded.. you have to give him really NO credit for a hand.. Just unlucky

And yes you can fold Aces in about a 6 way all in or higher because you are still ahead preflop but the chance you win the hand than is very small

Folding in Poker