$3 NLHE STT: Would you do anything differently here?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First hand of a 9man SnG, I get 99 UTG2 and the EP players fold around to me. I have played with this V before and my notes on him were "bets big PF. folds to 3bets PF a lot". He calls my 3bb bet from the CO and the blinds come along so I am not loving 99 so much and hoping for a favorable flop and I get a decent one.

I want to thin the field though and bet just over 75% thinking I need a little protection if someone wants to float an A here with deep stacks on the 1st hand. CO calls and blinds fold.

Turn makes the board a bit draw heavy so I need to put in another big bet, right? CO calls so he has hearts or 89 (less likely since I hold 99), 78 or a variety of possible 2 pair hands, I guess.

I hit a set on the river but it also lets any 8 get there. I made a smallish bet which might have been a mistake. Should I check that River? When he shoves should I fold with 38bb behind? Or is it just a case where you have to go broke here? I don't think I'm good enough to fold a set here.

What would you do differently?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD 2 Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $3+$0.30 (20.00BB)
HERO ($2000)
MP2 ($2000)
HJ ($2000)
CO ($2000)
SB ($2000)
BB ($2000)
UTG ($2000)
EP ($2000)

Dealt to Hero: 9 9

UTG Folds, EP Folds, HERO Raises To $62, MP2 Folds, HJ Folds, CO Calls $60, BTN Folds, SB Calls $50, BB Calls $40

Hero SPR on Flop: [7.51 effective]
Flop ($258): T 4 7
SB Checks, BB Checks, HERO Bets $214 (Rem. Stack: $1724), CO Calls $214 (Rem. Stack: $1724), SB Folds, BB Folds

Turn ($686): T 4 7 J
HERO Bets $515 (Rem. Stack: $1209), CO Calls $515 (Rem. Stack: $1209)

River ($1716): T 4 7 J 9
HERO Bets $445 (Rem. Stack: $764), CO Raises To $1209 (allin), HERO Calls $764 (allin)

CO shows: 7 8

CO wins: $4134

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand of a 9man SnG, I get 99 UTG2 and the EP players fold around to me. I have played with this V before and my notes on him were "bets big PF. folds to 3bets PF a lot". He calls my 3bb bet from the CO and the blinds come along so I am not loving 99 so much and hoping for a favorable flop and I get a decent one.

I want to thin the field though and bet just over 75% thinking I need a little protection if someone wants to float an A here with deep stacks on the 1st hand. CO calls and blinds fold.

Turn makes the board a bit draw heavy so I need to put in another big bet, right? CO calls so he has hearts or 89 (less likely since I hold 99), 78 or a variety of possible 2 pair hands, I guess.

I hit a set on the river but it also lets any 8 get there. I made a smallish bet which might have been a mistake. Should I check that River? When he shoves should I fold with 38bb behind? Or is it just a case where you have to go broke here? I don't think I'm good enough to fold a set here.

What would you do differently?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD 2 Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $3+$0.30 (20.00BB)
HERO ($2000)
MP2 ($2000)
HJ ($2000)
CO ($2000)
SB ($2000)
BB ($2000)
UTG ($2000)
EP ($2000)

Dealt to Hero: 9 9

UTG Folds, EP Folds, HERO Raises To $62, MP2 Folds, HJ Folds, CO Calls $60, BTN Folds, SB Calls $50, BB Calls $40

Hero SPR on Flop: [7.51 effective]
Flop ($258): T 4 7
SB Checks, BB Checks, HERO Bets $214 (Rem. Stack: $1724), CO Calls $214 (Rem. Stack: $1724), SB Folds, BB Folds

Turn ($686): T 4 7 J
HERO Bets $515 (Rem. Stack: $1209), CO Calls $515 (Rem. Stack: $1209)

River ($1716): T 4 7 J 9
HERO Bets $445 (Rem. Stack: $764), CO Raises To $1209 (allin), HERO Calls $764 (allin)

CO shows: 7 8

CO wins: $4134

Thank you for posting.

Preplanning our hands is such a valuable skill that it is a must if we want to grow.

How does it apply in this spot?

First we open 99 and get 3 callers if we are preplanning our hands we know this is common in our player pool.
Preplanning means when this happens preflop we are not looking to stack off unless we hit the flop hard. Did we? No

Preplanning for the flop we know that we will only get folds from very weak hands on this flop anything- 87- that connects in anyway is not folding- not overs with a gut shot for sure- on flop or even turn. We already know this from past experience.

So how does that effect our bet sizing? How does that effect our bet frequency?
We are in do not stack off mode so we do not take actions that require us to stack off.

If we are only getting very weak hands to fold then we do not need to bet large.
When the second over card comes on the turn and we know the V's playing style-few folds- and we preplanned not to stack off -why are we betting and why that size if we do bet?

Having a preplan for our ranges based on player tendencies and board interactions is a good study point for you.

Hope this helps
:):)

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thank you for posting.

Preplanning our hands is such a valuable skill that it is a must if we want to grow.

How does it apply in this spot?

First we open 99 and get 3 callers if we are preplanning our hands we know this is common in our player pool.
Preplanning means when this happens preflop we are not looking to stack off unless we hit the flop hard. Did we? No

Preplanning for the flop we know that we will only get folds from very weak hands on this flop anything- 87- that connects in anyway is not folding- not overs with a gut shot for sure- on flop or even turn. We already know this from past experience.

So how does that effect our bet sizing? How does that effect our bet frequency?
We are in do not stack off mode so we do not take actions that require us to stack off.

If we are only getting very weak hands to fold then we do not need to bet large.
When the second over card comes on the turn and we know the V's playing style-few folds- and we preplanned not to stack off -why are we betting and why that size if we do bet?

Having a preplan for our ranges based on player tendencies and board interactions is a good study point for you.

Hope this helps
:):)

Helpful direction. Thank you for your thoroughness!

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We try to flop a set and slow down if we dont.
I dont see much point in c-beting here.
Check/Fold mode for me in this spot.
eetenor described it well.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's not necessary put your chips on risk on the FIRST HAND. At the begin, just survive. I think you should have turned off after be called on flop. There are other easier spots to get chips.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open and sizing looks fine. However when 3 people call us, we should already begin to adjust our expectations and plan for the hand and understand, that we are mostly going to be setmining and/or trying to get to a cheap showdown with our medium pair.

Flop
Even though there is only one overcard, and its the lowest possible overcard, 3 other people saw the flop, so its quite likely, someone could have a T here, or they could have something even stronger like a set. Or someone just passively called preflop with JJ-AA. So I think, this sizing is already overplaying your hand. You say, you bet for "protection", but your hand is simply not strong enough to warrant that. Its completely ok to just check and fold, if someone else bet. The keyword here is multiway pot, which completely change everything, and you need a much stronger hand to get involved. If you are going to bet here at all, it should be for a small sizing like 30-40% pot.

Turn
Now there is another overcard, and even though its somewhat unlikely, he floated you with a hand like AJ or KJ, given your sizing and the fact, he had two more guys left to act after him, why are you even betting now? Are you turning your hand into a bluff trying to get him to fold a T? If not then what worse hands are still paying off such an enormous bet, which is now 25BB or a quarter of your starting stack? I would check here and basically hope, he check behind. If he bet, you did pick up a gutshot, so if he give you a really good price, then check-call and otherwise just check-fold and cut your losses.

River
You made a set, but now there is a 1-liner to a straight. You only have like a 2/3 pot sized bet left, which is to shallow to bet-fold. I dont think, you can jam for value, so as played I would check and evaluate. Hopefully he check back, and you win at showdown against a hand like AT, which you sucked out on at the end.