$3 NLHE STT: 6max SNG: Hero put to decision with AQ on draw heavy board.

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure the right play is to fold here.

I was pre-flop aggressor. Should I have raised on the flop? Villain is unknown. Anyway, read on.

Early in game.
Blinds: 25/50
Stack sizes: Roughly equal at t1200.

Preflop:

UTG folds.
CO limps.
Hero (Button) raises 3x BB with :ad4: :qs4:
Blinds fold.
CO calls.

Flop:

:8c4: :10d4: :5c4:

Both players check.

Turn:

:jd4:

CO shoves t855 into t375 pot.

*Hero stack t1370

Shove or fold?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 9.29.44 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 9.29.44 PM.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 28
BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap fold. You have nothing but a draw and a few outs.

My question, however, is why didn't you bet the flop? By not cbetting, you gave your opponent a free card ;)

Last edited:
mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With two overs and the check to me on the flop, I should have continued aggressing. Ugh. Why do I do this to myself?! Thanks. I see it. I was playing way too cautious.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends a lot on your player notes, but given that you probably have none... By c-betting the flop, you can represent a made hand on that wet board and have a chance to TID. If, then, you meet resistance, you can still get away from the hand, and it's still early in the tourney.

We've all been there, right. Lesson learned. Onward and upward :)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
c-betting wet boards is not always the best idea. it really depends on your opponent and what you think he will call with preflop, if you have no idea, then this board is likely to connect with a lot of hands that will want to continue.

hands like QJ J10 J9 KQ the list goes on and on. it depends on the villian, but if they are bad, or at the micro level, overcards rarely fold these flops. and any type of draw will continue with the hand usually, bad players like to chase cards right?

so c-betting this board is certainly not bad, but nor is checking back. Sometimes it actually gives us the free card, we control the pot and we get more information about villians range. There's nothing stopping us from checking the flop, and then putting in a 'delayed' c-bet on the turn if checked to us again. so yeah, c-betting is not mandatory here, sometimes it can be better to just check. i'd be checking this board against one villian probably around 50% of the time, depending on villians percieved range.

Now if the board is 55K, then that is a board where we really want to be c-betting ALL the time, because it's so unlikely that villian will connect with it. So checking sometimes wins us money by not giving money away when we're likely to be called a lot.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
folding the turn is mandatory.

the more interesting question is whether or not to CBet the flop? We have no reads and we are out of position. Which is the best line? I actually think both are equally good in this spot and it will depend largely on your table image and reads. I tend to Cbet 2/3 of the pot 2/3 of the time. I use texture to help me decide whether or not to Cbet. This flop has medium texture so it's really kind of a toss up for me.

If it's a close decision, I'm more likely to Cbet when I've completely missed and have no draw...because those hands are easier to play for me. If they fold, it's all upside since I had squa-doosh. If they raise or even just flat, then I know the hand is basically over.

I'm much more likely to check and see what develops when I have some kind of draw or a medium strength hand.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold sir.
The only hand you beat is a bluff hand.
I think checking is still good here. If he bets on latter streets, I know we're beat.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding the turn is easy, You have quite a few cards that will improve your hand, but most aren't clean outs.

The more interesting question is whether to cbet the flop. It seems like a pretty good fit for his likely range, plus there isn't all that much I can rep. So I prefer checking, albeit not by a huge amount since I'm IP.