$3 NLHE MTT Rebuy: $3.30 +R preflop with QQ

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Stars $3.00+$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t75/t150 Blinds - 9 players - View hand 1117634
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: t5475 36.50 BBs
Hero (BB): t14322 95.48 BBs
UTG: t11603 77.35 BBs
UTG+1: t8875 59.17 BBs
UTG+2: t9400 62.67 BBs
MP1: t9654 64.36 BBs
MP2: t6150 41 BBs
CO: t6116 40.77 BBs
BTN: t7225 48.17 BBs

Pre Flop: (t225) Hero is BB with Q
diamond.gif
Q
heart.gif

UTG raises to t450, 3 folds, MP2 calls t450, 1 fold, BTN calls t450, 1 fold, Hero ???
Hero raises to t2250, UTG raises to t4950, 2 folds, Hero calls ???
Hero calls 2700

Flop: (t10875) J
club.gif
club.gif
K
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero ???
Hero checks, UTG bets t6653 all in, Hero fold
Villain ran 45/4 and the only raise shown was a 3bet with QQ. That being said, the stats were only gathered of 45 hands of a rebuy period and this is the 3rd hand since rebuys ended. Still, it seems reasonable to assume the villain is a very tight player pre.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As lame as it may seem, I'm probably mucking it pre. Realistically can we ever put villain on anything but AA/KK/maybe AK when they 4bet here? (& if they're 4-betting AK... do they choose this amount?).

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate the call for 1/3 of your stack, this is shove fold for me when he 4 bets, as is I gota muck on that flop, as PO says, he's most likely AA/KK, AK/JJ is unlikely but even if he is that loose he's still ahead now, I can't see what we're beating here.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is shove fold for me when he 4 bets
Exactly.

What happens on the flop is totally irrelevant. Ship it pre. I'm not folding queens against a guy with a 45% VPIP with that much dead money in there.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah...I hate my call too. Sort of the frustrated tilt-mistake when I know I should be folding. Should I have sized my 3bet differently? I think it might have been a tad on the large side but there are the two callers in there bloating the pot.

@c9 - you really think someone with 45 VPIP/4 PFR is going to 4bet AK/JJ enough for a shove to show profit? They're obviously never folding anything they put in the 4bet with.

The one plus side of the call is if I do think JJ/AK are in the 4bet range I can basically play the flop easily as villain shoves probably 99% of flops.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
. Should I have sized my 3bet differently? .

Kinda depends on what your plan is here if &/or when you're 4bet. I mean I guess you could make it a wee bit less if you're planning on 3bet/folding pre.

We've got 95bb's at start of the hand, in a mtt with a ton of weak/bad players where we're likely to find some decent spots to get it in. Not so sure this is one of them tbh.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah...I hate my call too. Sort of the frustrated tilt-mistake when I know I should be folding. Should I have sized my 3bet differently? I think it might have been a tad on the large side but there are the two callers in there bloating the pot.

@c9 - you really think someone with 45 VPIP/4 PFR is going to 4bet AK/JJ enough for a shove to show profit? They're obviously never folding anything they put in the 4bet with.

The one plus side of the call is if I do think JJ/AK are in the 4bet range I can basically play the flop easily as villain shoves probably 99% of flops.

This was my thinking too, and I would have played it the same. This is despite the adage "never flat a 3bet OOP". So I started thinking why it's a bad play.

I start from the assumption that you must 3-bet here. If anyone disagrees with this, I'm interested to hear why. I also think the size of the 3-bet is okay. I make it 2000, but it's not going to change the conclusions below drastically either way.

Now you can either

1. fold to his 4-bet, and you have lost ~15% of your stack.

2. shove, or see a flop where you have an extremely accurate range on villain. I agree that JJ & AK are in this range. You have just under 50% equity against this range (JJ+,AK).

2a. If you shove, you're flipping pure and simple. You lose 80% of your stack half the time and gain ~87% (80% plus the dead money) the other half.
EV >~ 0

2b. If you call you can shove / c-r any flop without an A,K or J. which comes up only about 55% of the time (!), and fold to any other flop.

So you lose 33% of your stack 45% of the time.

The question is, how often does UTG bet that 55% of the time if you check to him?

Assuming he shoves anyway, you are, somewhat surprisingly, still only ~50% against his range on a "favorable" flop (without a Q). So you lose 80% and win 80% of your stack half the time, as before. If you hit a set, you're ~an 80% favorite.

But your overall EV is -0.33*0.45 + 0.12*(-0.8*0.2 + 0.87*0.8) + 0.43*(-0.80*0.5 + 0.87*0.5) = -0.07. This play loses you 7% of your stack.

What if no J-A flops, you shove and he folds AK (AK consists of 30% of his range) and calls with JJ+, but calls with KK,AA when a Q does hit.

Your EV here is
-0.33*0.45 + 0.12*(0.55*0.45 + 0.45*(-0.8*0.2 + 0.87*0.8)) + 0.43*(0.7*(-0.8*0.66 + 0.87*0.33) + 0.3*0.45) = -0.10. You lose 10% of your stack in the long run.

Conclusion:
So calling is way worse than shoving and not much better than folding.

QED.

If the math is greek to you, the key points here are:
  1. An overcard or Jack hits the flop 45% of the time.
  2. A "favourable" flop (one without an A,K or J) still only gives you a coin-flip against villain's range if you don't hit a set.
  3. Most of your EV from calling comes from spiking a set of the flop, but since it only happens 1/8 times, it's not profitable.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@loop: I get the math pretty well but you analysis of how the flop plays is a little different than my assumptions when making the call. I am basically never shoving the flop. I either check/call a shove or check/shove the turn if villain checks back (on reasonable turns). I assume villain is going to shove the flop 99% of the time I check to him though, basically regardless of texture. I'd probably also have to check/call on J-high flops.

I don't know how that affects the math you ran...but I'm pretty sure the best play was just to fold to villain's 4bet anyway. I'm also not entirely convinced JJ/AK are in his range "enough" to play QQ into a 4bet.

Basically...I done messed up!

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was my thinking too, and I would have played it the same. This is despite the adage "never flat a 3bet OOP".

OK, I'll bite. Why do we never flat a 3bet OOP? I thought that was the first step of a stop-and-go play, or does that terminology only apply to simple raises?

Is the old adage a rule or a guideline? My ignorance here is complete.

beedee

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, I'll bite. Why do we never flat a 3bet OOP? I thought that was the first step of a stop-and-go play, or does that terminology only apply to simple raises?
This has nothing to do with a stop & go play. That's a super short stack tournament strategy that has very little to do with a deep stacked cash game.

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy is 45/5. He's can't lay down anything he raises with, particularly UTG. Fold or shove, I'd shove.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is still during the rebuy period?

edit n/m i can't read, still shoving