$3 NLHE MTT: Interesting spot with AJs on bb against UTG open raiser and BTN flat call

021poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
okay guys, I was going to write a long post, but decided it would be better as a video because it would be a lot of writing. sorry its a little dry, but here's how to calculate the EV of a shove here:

https://youtu.be/MZcRFpO1SVc
Hey man! I would like to thank you for all your support as always. The video is very comprehensive and effective and I do believe that I can apply this approach as a model for the future similar situations.

Warm Regards :)

M

MrGreen13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
okay guys, I was going to write a long post, but decided it would be better as a video because it would be a lot of writing. sorry its a little dry, but here's how to calculate the EV of a shove here:

https://youtu.be/MZcRFpO1SVc

Thanks a lot for the video! I am happy of know that have dedicated evaluators in the forum :)

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem, of course now that we have the EV for the shove, we need to compare it to the EV of a call. I think a call will be really close, but I want to get a program for making EV decision trees that I think should be really helpful to evaluate something more complex like that. Its just that software is really expensive, If i get it, ill be sure to make a video with it. But without doing the evaluation, my intuition is that the EV of a call is going to be really close to break even

I hope everything in the video made sense

oh and would super appreciate clicking the thumbs up on the youtube video to help it get more exposure

Liked the video and subscribed to your channel.

Just so everyone knows, you don't get the YouTube link in the App. You need to open it in a browser or in the CardsChat app, click on the three dots on the top right corner, click open in browser and then you can see the YouTube link.

M

marnburger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice video mbrenneman0 I've done a few of these for certain situations but never one for multi-way. Was good to see how that works out. Need to be doing a few of these a week for different spots.

I'd be really intrigued to see what you can do with an EV calculation for a call. I've looked at this and get a bit lost with all the different outcomes that can happen, it's a big tree! Or even 3 betting in this spot when deep stacked.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah, estimating EV of a decision that involves multiple streets gets very difficult. i think the trick is to simplify it as much as possible at the expense of accuracy. Im hoping the software I'm looking at can help, but i dont want to say what it is yet because i dont want it to come across as a recommendation if its something i havent tried yet.

I honestly havent done any calculations like that with the EV of a call, but i think you would have to look at approximate equities like for example if we flop a flush draw, we have 9 outs, so roughly 20% equity to the next street. but then we have to figure out how often our villains bet which would probably require making some big assumptions. i think if villain hits a pair on. a flushdraw board then he would bet 2/3s pot. if the board is dry he probably bets 1/3 pot, and if villain misses he checks. or do we assume villain cbets 100% of the time for simplicity's sake, and does that give up too much accuracy compared to breaking down the various flop textures? then we have to break it down into if we flop a flush draw, if we flop top pair, if we flop top pair + flush draw, and if we flop flush draw + gutter, i think all the other possibilities would be too rare to really consider though. but you can probably see already how we're losing accuracy with every assumption we make, but should still get us fairly close.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Mbrenneman0, that video was awesome! Really cool of you to record that so we could see the workings out etc..

The video makes me want to fill up a computer with poker software so I can dissect my bad beats into ridiculously minimal percentages of possibility and moan about it at the bar. [emoji1][emoji1303]

Also play better mathematically.

Thanks again though, great video.

In regards to original post I'd be deciding between a call to see the flop or a raise to make it heads up/take the pot down. I'm never folding here.

D

drazak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One option would be to be 3-bet folding, you look much stronger here 3-betting instead of shoving. Being as V2 is so active they are likely folding to a 3-bet, V1 then is left, if he 4-bets or shoves you should be folding, if he calls and you connect you can shove the flop for a pot size bet.