$3 NLHE MTT: ICM or am I wrong?

J

joeyvegasboi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

I was playing a tourny with roughly 40-50 people remaining, 30 itm, and sitting in 16th place with about 38-40 bb.

I am in hi jack position with AK suited of clubs and guy who covers me to my right opens about 3x. I call.

One other person calls behind (altho sorta irrelevant I think you'll find).

Flop comes 10c, Jc, 5h. I have inside straight and nut flush draw.

Dude leads out 2/3s pot. I call.

Turn comes 6h. He pots it which is about 2/3s my stack. I realize this is probably where my mistake was in calling here but due to the tourney structure I kinda think this is a situation I just gotta hope I get lucky in due to at the flop I am making my hand 50% of the time.

River comes nothing and I don't have many chips left and kinda need to see what he has so lose all my chips.

Did I play this horribly or is this how you have to look at ICM for tourneys in the long run?
Reason being I am making my hand 48% of the time, and had I made that hand I would've been first in the tourney well before the bubble giving me an advantage to get even more chips to take advantage of the bubble. If anything should I maybe just shoved the flop for the added fold equity?

Not sure if I just shot myself in the foot or if this is just what they mean when the cards running out decides the tourney winners.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is polarizing his range in the flop by betting so big, narrowing his range to overpairs, sets, and AJ. He clearly doesnt want to give you a good price to hit your flush. With 2 overs, a gutshot, and the nut flush draw, and given the ICM considerations, I think a call on the flop is the right play. However, once we completely whiff the turn, and Villain continues to bet big, we have to fold. In earlier and later stages of the tourney, I might opt for a check-raise on the flop given how much equity we have, but so close to the money bubble, we have to fold this hand on the turn.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should raise/get it in on the flop. As played, you should fold the turn.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3bet preflop.

As played raise and plan to get it in on the flop.

As played on turn... just fold. You're not getting the right price even if he has say, QJ with no club, which is absolute best case scenario for us I think.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@ Scourrge - I don't think 3bet here is mandatory. Against most players I would 3bet most of the time while mixing in some calls, like 80 raises and 20 calls. Against certain opponents I would move that to 50/50. You want to protect your calling range by having some of these hands in there.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on table dynamic and your opponent but first of all i would 3 bet him preflop. Then let’s say we played cc preflop, on that flop sometimes I’d like to 3 bet and get it in or depends on the tournament structure and money jump i could decide to call it off for once and shut it down on the turn.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone,

I was playing a tourny with roughly 40-50 people remaining, 30 itm, and sitting in 16th place with about 38-40 bb.

I am in hi jack position with AK suited of clubs and guy who covers me to my right opens about 3x. I call.

One other person calls behind (altho sorta irrelevant I think you'll find).

Flop comes 10c, Jc, 5h. I have inside straight and nut flush draw.

Dude leads out 2/3s pot. I call.

Turn comes 6h. He pots it which is about 2/3s my stack. I realize this is probably where my mistake was in calling here but due to the tourney structure I kinda think this is a situation I just gotta hope I get lucky in due to at the flop I am making my hand 50% of the time.

River comes nothing and I don't have many chips left and kinda need to see what he has so lose all my chips.

Did I play this horribly or is this how you have to look at ICM for tourneys in the long run?
Reason being I am making my hand 48% of the time, and had I made that hand I would've been first in the tourney well before the bubble giving me an advantage to get even more chips to take advantage of the bubble. If anything should I maybe just shoved the flop for the added fold equity?

Not sure if I just shot myself in the foot or if this is just what they mean when the cards running out decides the tourney winners.

I agree with most of the posts already....3-bet preflop and be ready to get it in on the flop.

If you had raised preflop you may have ended the hand then.

I mean....what was your plan in position? Flop a K or an A ? It's a very playable hand but were you trying to trap?

Good luck !