$3 NLHE MTT: Check back AA on this flop or bet smaller?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
$3 NLHE STT: Check back AA on this flop or bet smaller?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

I think my 3bet PF was sized correctly. When a K and Q come on the flop, I figure those are both in his range for raising from EP & calling a 3bet so I bet just under 3/4 pot. Too big? Should I check back or bet smaller here? There were 2 diamonds on the board so didn't want to give a free turn and figured he would call with most of his range with the K and Q there,

Thoughts?

NL Holdem $3+$0.30 (50.00BB)
HERO ($3037)
SB ($2953)
BB ($1999)
UTG ($760)
EP ($2224)
MP ($1876)
HJ ($1924)
CO ($3227)

Dealt to Hero: A A

UTG Folds, EP Raises To $138, MP Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $371, SB Folds, BB Folds, EP Calls $233

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.19 effective]
Flop ($847): K 6 Q
EP Checks, HERO Bets $610 (Rem. Stack: $2056), EP Folds

HERO wins: $847

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A smaller C-bet would be fine. With an SPR of just a little over two, you dont need to bomb the pot like this. Checking back is to passive though. There are at least some worse hands, that can and will call, especially if you size down. And if he has a hand like 77-JJ, he is not going to put in a lot of chips later anyway, unless he improve to something, which beat your AA.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on villain type I think your 3 bet sizing is too small. Its not a tradge by any means the sizing you used but unless you know villains folds a lot to 3 bets I think you can go bigger here pre flop. Plus in the micros many players do not seem to fold to 3 bets often enough in my opinion. You could be going against a villain (as what might have been the case) where they are going to call your 3 bet pre often and fold often to a c bet. If that is the case then you should try to get a little more with the 3 bet. On top of all that, 3 betting larger will make the hand play as a get in on the turn hand easier (not to say with these stacks turn jamming would be hard, but would be even easier with a larger 3 bet).

As played on the flop, a flop like that should hit villain which is what we are hoping for excluding the dreaded KQ. C betting here is a must to get value from Kx, Qx, and draws both straight and flush. If the hand started much deeper I think your sizing would be fine but here even a bet a 400 sets up a less than pot jam on turn. I like 400-425 here and then jam the turn. We do have ace of diamonds which helps if the diamond were to come turn and it also restricts villains two diamond holdings they could have.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depending on villain type I think your 3 bet sizing is too small. Its not a tradge by any means the sizing you used but unless you know villains folds a lot to 3 bets I think you can go bigger here pre flop. Plus in the micros many players do not seem to fold to 3 bets often enough in my opinion. You could be going against a villain (as what might have been the case) where they are going to call your 3 bet pre often and fold often to a c bet. If that is the case then you should try to get a little more with the 3 bet. On top of all that, 3 betting larger will make the hand play as a get in on the turn hand easier (not to say with these stacks turn jamming would be hard, but would be even easier with a larger 3 bet).

As played on the flop, a flop like that should hit villain which is what we are hoping for excluding the dreaded KQ. C betting here is a must to get value from Kx, Qx, and draws both straight and flush. If the hand started much deeper I think your sizing would be fine but here even a bet a 400 sets up a less than pot jam on turn. I like 400-425 here and then jam the turn. We do have ace of diamonds which helps if the diamond were to come turn and it also restricts villains two diamond holdings they could have.

Thanks for the insights, 300HPGOD. Didn't have much history with this guy at the time but I hear your point about bigger preflop raises. You are absolutely correct that people tend to call more PF because Dammit!! They are here to play, not fold! :D:D

These SnGs are definitely tighter in the early rounds, though. I know more about this guy now and can use that next time we meet.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally like your bet on the flop considering there were a K, a Q and 2 diamonds on the board. If he had a flush draw, a king, J 10, he would have called either way. I think randomizing in these spots with either a half pot bet or bigger is fine.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are blocking Ax flash, he had no nuts dro. 1/3 is a good flop size. Its value bet. When you're bet big, you are lose chips, because he must have good hand to call. It will be not very often. But if you bet little, he can call with dro, pairs or Kx, Qx for little.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree in the large part with guys. Yeah, 3 bet could be a little bit bigger, at least 400, but size of 3bet it depends how much chips in stack opponent has. If he is deep, above 30bb, then I play bigger 3bet, If he has between 20bb-30bb then your 3bet could be good, because opponent has good stack to play 4bet allin, sometimes this move works.

E

ElmerS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HERO ($3037)
SB ($2953)
BB ($1999)
UTG ($760)
EP ($2224)
MP ($1876)
HJ ($1924)
CO ($3227)

UTG Folds, EP Raises To $138, MP Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $371, SB Folds, BB Folds, EP Calls $233

EP Checks, HERO Bets $610 (Rem. Stack: $2056), EP Folds

Your post-flop raise is to big. I understand why you bet that big because you look to your own remaining stack and see enough chips left but forgot to check your opponent´s remaining stack. This is what happens if EP calls?

HERO ($3037)
SB ($2953)
BB ($1999)
UTG ($760)
EP ($2224)
MP ($1876)
HJ ($1924)
CO ($3227)

EP Checks, HERO Bets $610 (Rem. Stack: $2056), EP Calls $610 (Rem. Stack $1243)

Turn ($2067): ?

EP Checks, HERO Bets All-In
Is EP able to call with any hand in this spot with 1243 chips remaining at a pot of 2067?
Answer is no. He is pot commited.
So if you bet big in this spot he has to think about if he want to put the rest of his chips in the middle what force him to make more folds what´s something you don´t want in this spot.
If you bet small you keep bad hands like (2 diamonds, JT, KJ, AQ, QJ, QTs Q9s and maybe some middle pairs in the hand instead of folding them.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3bet size is fine. Flop bet could be a little smaller around 300-400 to balance your range.