3 handed against 2 terrible people

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just tried to bring up the hand history but apparently on fulltilt you need to check a box otherwise it won't save them.

Okay so what do you do in this situation.
It is 3 handed, and I have seen one guy with enough chips to wait for a big hand (over 1300) push with 10 8 offsuit, get a call and double up.

I'm sitting with over 3400 and the guy to my left has more than me and will call any raise with anything.

First the guy to my left will also raise the pot no matter what off the flop if I don't bet. So, I catch in my BB hit a jack, all others were blank. Check into him then raise his bet to a large amount, in this case he folds and goes away.

Later I catch JJ in my BB again. The guy that pushed with 10 8 raises my bb of course and the guy to my left limped in. So I reraise huge, (all-in) thinking I know I am ahead against both these guys (I guess the guy to my left could have a big hand because he limped but, I'll get to that.)

Make a long story short the guy to my left calls my all-in which is close to the size of his stack with KQo. The guy that raised my blind folds. In this situation I thought I shouldn't push seeing as JJ isn't a tremendous favorite, but then I got to thinking it wasn't too bad of a play. normally, that sized raise from a player that doesn't play many hands would make a person not call an all-in with KQo for most of their stack, and the guy that pushed with 108o would call with anything.

I think i am just going crazy because I like the play, but something in the back of my head tells me it was the wrong play.

Blinds were at 100/200 it was a 10$ 6 handed sng.

Last edited:
skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash game or tourney? What are blind levels?

I'd suggest reading some of the other hands in the Hand Analysis section and the FAQ on posting here. With some more info on the situation at hand, the advice you get from others will be much better and it will help you think about what the important bits of information are in making the "right" play in the future.

However, I will take JJ vs KQ anytime anywhere.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the toughest situation for me in SnGs is when I get shorthanded against really lose players. (you're not alone) :/

My usual line would be to play tight aggressive early in the sng, then loosen up and start stealing blinds and pots when we get to the bubble or 3-handed. This generally works vs weaker TAGs and LAGs, as they tighten up at this point.

This of course never works though when you have maniacs or calling stations because they give you no respect; that is unless we start getting a lucky run of cards, but we can't rely on that. The best approach would basically be the very tight aggressive approach (play opposite to your table's style, right?).

This kind of depends on stack sizes vs blind sizes, but we just want to get our money in with a hand that's ahead of their range. So if you're sitting on say 1400 chips and blinds are 100/200, push preflop. I'd say 66+ push, a bunch of aces, KT+, etc etc. I think you'll have to use your own judgement as to how low you go based on your oppponents, but you get the idea. Anyways, basically you don't want to play them postflop and let them push you off the best hand. Get all your money in preflop if possible (your push with JJ was more than fine; you're way ahead of their ranges) with the best of it and just hope your hands hold up.

G

Gothfunc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash game or tourney? What are blind levels?

I'd suggest reading some of the other hands in the Hand Analysis section and the FAQ on posting here. With some more info on the situation at hand, the advice you get from others will be much better and it will help you think about what the important bits of information are in making the "right" play in the future.

However, I will take JJ vs KQ anytime anywhere.

Skoldpadda, if you're allin against KQ with JJ, you're only 55% to win, if your tournament life is at stake it doesn't seem great to me.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skoldpadda, if you're allin against KQ with JJ, you're only 55% to win, if your tournament life is at stake it doesn't seem great to me.

Well, it's 3 handed, not a full ring game. So the chances of your hand being best are VERY high. It's a risk I'm willing to take, especially 3 handed. According to twodimes:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=150545
pokenum -h jc jd - ks qh
Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Jc Jd 971165 56.72 735454 42.95 5685 0.33 0.569
Ks Qh 735454 42.95 971165 56.72 5685 0.33 0.431

So, with JJ vs KQo, I'm nearly 57% to win... almost a 3:2 favorite. Not a coinflip. Poker is about decent edges, and getting 3:2 is a good risk in my book.

H

homerphobe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see nothing wrong with the push. You're shorthanded and making the guy call off a big bet with KQ. Even if he calls you're a slight favorite. I definitely don't think you're crazy.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Laughable man - haha!"
-The Jesus

(sorry, but his voice just popped up into my head when I read this)

How are we to know he has KQ?

Read this: https://www.cardschat.com/blog/03/21/on-hand-reading/

It's not about pinning an opponent on a single hand, it's about pinning them on a range of hands. We're way ahead of villains range with JJ, and we need to get our money in here every single time.

G

Gothfunc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this, but you had already said it, so it seemed pointless to reiterate. I was talking only about "JJ vs KQ anytime anywhere". Meaning JJ vs overcards. I think there are times you would want to fold JJ if you think you're against overcards, depending on the blinds and such.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands