$3.50 NLHE STT: Was I right to fold top pair?

D

DoofusBazaar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

This was on a 3.50 buy in 6-max sit and go.

Blind: 15/30

Villain: SB (992 in chips)
Hero: BB (1729 in chips)

Ante 4.

PRE FLOP:

Hero: [Kh Ad]

Villain raises 30 to 60
Hero calls 30

*** FLOP *** [7c Qs 9d]
Villain bets 72
Hero: calls 72

Pot: 288

*** TURN *** [7c Qs 9d] [Ks]
Hero bets 144
Villain calls 144

pot:576

*** RIVER *** [7c Qs 9d Ks] [Ts]
Villain bets 288
Hero folds

Hero collected 576 from pot

Should I have called her bet? Villain could have had 2 pair, a flush or straight beating me.

Happy to hear from the experts though!

Ended up coming 2nd to her! :(

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played, on the river I would fold. However I am not a fan of how you played this hand. SB could be opening very wide there and even if they arent we have a very nice hand and in positon so I would 3 bet pre flop to get the pot bigger so the times we do hit we win more and the times we miss the flop we can take it away easier or have an easier time seeing the turn for free as most would not donk lead there. The hand plays much easier as a 3 bet here. Doesnt have to be a large 3 bet either as we are not mad at all when we get a call and are not 3 betting for fold equity.

On the flop as played I would call but if you had raised pre then you would be checked to and then either get a call or fold. A call would really narrow villains range and also make the hand easier to play. The turn then coming a king would be a bet assuming we were checked to and then villain really has to define their hand there. Assuming we did not get raised there I would then probably check behind on the river and hopefully take the pot.

The theme here is this hand plays much easier when you raise pre. If you flat pre here then you only really know what is going on when you hit the flop. When you miss you will get put in weird spots at times especially depending on the runout.

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd probably call that, but tbh you played terribly, maybe even JAM the turn, you have to take variance, they have KQ sometimes, but AK TPTK is solid hand in a Hyper sit n go, unless your playing a slow game ( idk why you would, they charge more rake and the games slow AF ) even hypers can take a good 30mins.

D

DoofusBazaar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, on the river I would fold. However I am not a fan of how you played this hand. SB could be opening very wide there and even if they arent we have a very nice hand and in positon so I would 3 bet pre flop to get the pot bigger so the times we do hit we win more and the times we miss the flop we can take it away easier or have an easier time seeing the turn for free as most would not donk lead there. The hand plays much easier as a 3 bet here. Doesnt have to be a large 3 bet either as we are not mad at all when we get a call and are not 3 betting for fold equity.

On the flop as played I would call but if you had raised pre then you would be checked to and then either get a call or fold. A call would really narrow villains range and also make the hand easier to play. The turn then coming a king would be a bet assuming we were checked to and then villain really has to define their hand there. Assuming we did not get raised there I would then probably check behind on the river and hopefully take the pot.

The theme here is this hand plays much easier when you raise pre. If you flat pre here then you only really know what is going on when you hit the flop. When you miss you will get put in weird spots at times especially depending on the runout.

thanks yeah that makes sense!

D

DoofusBazaar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably call that, but tbh you played terribly, maybe even JAM the turn, you have to take variance, they have KQ sometimes, but AK TPTK is solid hand in a Hyper sit n go, unless your playing a slow game ( idk why you would, they charge more rake and the games slow AF ) even hypers can take a good 30mins.

So would you have played with more aggression from the start of the hand?

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
most important of all, do you have information about the villain?

It was a very complicated situation with a straight and flush call.

If the tournament was still in its early stages, it was no crisis to fold.

GL

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
For me this is a mandatory 3-bet. You have a great hand, and you are against a very wide range, so pump up that pot and get some value. If you are not 3-betting AK for value, what does your 3-betting range even look like? Only aces and kings? This is way to passive man.

Flop
As played I would also call his small C-bet. You have 6 outs to TPTK, and you beat all his air even with just AK high.

Turn
You made top pair on a somewhat connected and wet board, and now he bet half pot. I guess just calling is fine, when you took a passive line so far, but I could also see going for a small raise here to set it up for a river jam. Yes he can have some hands that beat you, but you are way ahead of his overall range and can easily get action from worse hands. If he jam, you can call it off, and if a bad turn card comes, and he check to you, you can check it back knowing, you got your value on the turn.

River
Obviously a very bad river card, so I think, its fair to say, he is no longer betting for value with any hand worse than yours. This mean, we have a classic bluffcatching spot. One thing, I always start to look at, is what hands could he logically be bluffing with? And on this runout there are not really any, since all the draws got there one way or another.

Backdoor flush came in. JT and for that matter any JX made a straight. 86 also rivered a straight, and T8 rivered a pair. Maybe T8 could still be bluffing, for some players would check and try to take it to showdown. So for him to have a bluff here, it would have to be some complete airball like A5 or 44, that he just blast off with.

I also think, his betsizing looks a little bit like, he is a regular. Min-raise preflop and small "downbet" on the flop, then goes half pot on turn and river, which is something, a lot of regulars do to milk value. So while you are getting 3:1, and only need to be good 25% of the time in pure chip EV, I do like this river fold. I just dont think, that this line is going to be a bluff 25% of the time on average. You dont really have great removal either. If you had As, you would at least block some of his value combos, but with this particular combo of AK you dont.

D

DoofusBazaar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
For me this is a mandatory 3-bet. You have a great hand, and you are against a very wide range, so pump up that pot and get some value. If you are not 3-betting AK for value, what does your 3-betting range even look like? Only aces and kings? This is way to passive man.

Flop
As played I would also call his small C-bet. You have 6 outs to TPTK, and you beat all his air even with just AK high.

Turn
You made top pair on a somewhat connected and wet board, and now he bet half pot. I guess just calling is fine, when you took a passive line so far, but I could also see going for a small raise here to set it up for a river jam. Yes he can have some hands that beat you, but you are way ahead of his overall range and can easily get action from worse hands. If he jam, you can call it off, and if a bad turn card comes, and he check to you, you can check it back knowing, you got your value on the turn.

River
Obviously a very bad river card, so I think, its fair to say, he is no longer betting for value with any hand worse than yours. This mean, we have a classic bluffcatching spot. One thing, I always start to look at, is what hands could he logically be bluffing with? And on this runout there are not really any, since all the draws got there one way or another.

Backdoor flush came in. JT and for that matter any JX made a straight. 86 also rivered a straight, and T8 rivered a pair. Maybe T8 could still be bluffing, for some players would check and try to take it to showdown. So for him to have a bluff here, it would have to be some complete airball like A5 or 44, that he just blast off with.

I also think, his betsizing looks a little bit like, he is a regular. Min-raise preflop and small "downbet" on the flop, then goes half pot on turn and river, which is something, a lot of regulars do to milk value. So while you are getting 3:1, and only need to be good 25% of the time in pure chip EV, I do like this river fold. I just dont think, that this line is going to be a bluff 25% of the time on average. You dont really have great removal either. If you had As, you would at least block some of his value combos, but with this particular combo of AK you dont.

thank you :)

Not sure why I didnt 3 bet, I certainly know it's the right thing to do!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thank you :)

Not sure why I didnt 3 bet, I certainly know it's the right thing to do!

And I think, this is really, where all the problems in the hand began. If you 3-bet, a lot of the time he will fold, and you just take down a small pot and move on. Which is completely fine. 3-betting is also great for future game play. The guy min-raised you out of position, and this is not something, you want to allow people to do, especially not when you have them covered.

Some players will be doing this min-raising thing with any random junk, and they are basically saying, "hey I think, you are to passive, and/or you dont defend enough". By sticking some 3-bets in their face, you usually shut that action down. Blind vs. blind is always a bit of a battle, and as the guy in position, you dont want to make it easy for the guy out of position.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Impossible to say what the villain has here. You never raised pre-flop or flop, so the villain just senses weakness you as you just called his bets. That said I can't see the villain having less than two pair here. Most of the hands in his range he would have bet all 3 streets are ahead of you: 10-J, JQ, KJ, KQ, AJ, K-10, etc.

I can't see any reason to flat call his min raise here.

Folding in Poker