$3.50 NLHE STT Bounty: I think I levelled myself here.....thoughts???

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I'm playing a 9-handed Sit & Go, 5 pay, regular speed, so plenty of time for play. We were down to 5-handed. I had the chip lead when this hand went down.

I'm UTG, and make a standard pre-flop raise, player to my left flats, and short-stack on the button shoves to about 5 bb's (so bounty is there for the taking). Blinds fold, and I squeeze to 1400 (shove was for 436 chips). Player to my left 5 bet shoves. If I call and I win, I get two bounties, if I lose, I am down to 10 bb's, which, in this format, given the play, I feel I still have a chance. I decide to fold to the overshove. My read here is his limp then 5 bet shove tells me that he's almost never doing that with a hand like 7's, that at BEST I can hope for AK, but I'm behind his 5bet shoving range in this spot. I felt that by folding, I still feel like I have a great chance to cash/win the S&G.

Did I level myself here into a fold?
Should I have shoved myself instead of making this raise?

I welcome your thoughts. I will post the results after the discussion ITT.

Thank you.

poker stars $2.56+$0.64+$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t40/t80 Blinds + t10 - 6 players
The DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: t3344 M = 18.58
BB: t1197 M = 6.65
Hero (UTG): t3688 M = 20.49
MP: t3058 M = 16.99
CO: t1767 M = 9.82
BTN: t446 M = 2.48

Pre Flop: (t180) Hero is UTG with 8d 8h
Hero raises to t188, MP calls t188, CO calls t188, BTN raises to t436 all in, 2 folds, Hero raises to t1400, MP raises to t3048 all in, 2 folds

Flop: (t3604) Qc Jd 3s (2 players - 2 are all in)

Turn: (t3604) 7h (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t3604) 4h (2 players - 2 are all in)

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 pay? i don't get the format you are playing.. did you mean 3 pay?

In any case you kinda pot committed yourself by raising small here, just jam or make your iso raise the minimum to like 800 and then fold to rejams if you think his range is pairs and AK.

As played you pretty much forced yourself into having to call it off here, but the plus side is that you can win two bounties and you're left with around 8bb if you lose this pot which is enough to come back from just. So i call here as played.

However, i'd either jam it in preflop over the 400 raise to isolate that players bounty, or i'd make it like 800 and plan on folding to crazy overshoves. I think most of the time i'd just jam it in since there is plenty of dead money in the pot and i might even be able to make 99 TT fold here.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 pay? i don't get the format you are playing.. did you mean 3 pay?

Yes, 3 pay, that was a typo on my part (No Limit 9 handed). If I had busted those two players there, we'd be ITM and I would have had a huge chip lead and with that format, I can just punish the smaller stacks.

In retrospect, given your thoughts, I think you make some good points there. I've been short stacked in S&G's before (8 bb's give or take) and have come back to cash/win them, so really, calling off is probably a good play. In a turbo/hyper format, it's a no brainer. But, I think because I felt that by folding, I'd still be healthy in chips, and still have a reasonable edge on the field (I've been playing these non-turbos lately and have found them to be pretty easy to navigate through them).

Thanks for your feedback. Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts. I welcome them, both positive and negative.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key here is to look at the possible outcomes when we make our action. Don't just mash the raise button and move on, think about what we will do when we make a raise and he jams. if he calls and jams flops etc. etc.

If you think about these spots out of the game, next time you are presented with a simliar situation you will know exactly what to do, which is the key in being able to play 10-20 tables at once, which is the goal of any SNG player worth their salt.