$3.50 NLHE HU Tourney: hyper turbo river decision

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
readless at this point. Overbet river I'm thinking I have to be behind at this point. Flushdraw got there as well and I don't even hold any blockers to it. Can I fold it? I wasn't going to raise because I'm probably in trouble if I do. I checked turn to allow villian to barrel at river and I could raise him and maybe get value from 9x type hands, I thought he'd fold these to a bet on river and his weak flop bet was to protect a marginal hand. Should I have bet the turn as well just to protect from a FD?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t530)
BB (t470)

Hero's M: 17.67

Preflop: Hero is SB with K
heart.gif
, A
diamond.gif

Hero bets t40, BB calls t20

Flop: (t80) 9
heart.gif
, 4
spade.gif
, 2
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t20, Hero calls t20

Turn: (t120) A
heart.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (t120) 8
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t130, Hero calls t130

Total pot: t380

Results below in white, just highlight to read:

BB had 22, no spades.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a hyper turbo it's a surprise to me that all the money didn't go in. As played you can't raise the river but I don't really see how you can find a fold either. Just gotta pay him off even though the overbet looks strong.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he hadn't made mistake of checking turn all chips would've gone in. His line just smelt so strong and I couldn't really see much I beat. Overbet felt like he was trying to make up for a mistake earlier in thehand in not building a pot.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His line is more odd than strong although it seems like something has changed between the flop and the river, otherwise minbet -> check -> overbet makes no sense at all. Really only a FD that's hit on the river makes much sense but being readless in a $3 tourney he could be overplaying random crap or taking a stab with nothing often enough to mean you really can't justify folding the river, even though a lot of stuff you're beating like Ax hands should be 3-betting pre and I have no idea why a 9x hand would want to overbet the river.

Results spoiler (highlight): Wow he played that so badly.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I thought he had FD or a 2p type hands. Discounted 22 and 44 because that is an obvious shove pre. Yea it probably is just a sigh and call knowing I'm going to be behind a decent % of time.

What are thoughts on my checking turn?

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id prefer a bet on the turn, dont really like the check, he is def going to call with a ton that is way behind you

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea maybe a mistake on my part. Figured I could let him bluff/thin vb river and I could re-raise a blank river and not really rep much and be called by his thin value bets. Also if he checks to me I could make a decent bet and be called. Obviously had to re-evaluate this when he spazzzes out on river. That was my thinking anyhow.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet the turn with close to 100% of your range

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are thoughts on my checking turn?

Reasons to bet turn:

- Value
- Easier to ship it in on a blank river
- Our hand is pretty well disguised seeing as we could be betting turn after a minbet -> check with pretty much anything

Reasons to check turn:

- Uhh

dwbrown7680

dwbrown7680

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He takes a really weird line with the flopped set that saves you from busting. You should be betting the turn for value 100% of the time especially in a Hyper Turbo. Not much else to say really, you technically got lucky that he played this so bad.