$3.50 NLHE HU Tourney: Flat pre with AA fine?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.50 NLHE HU Tourney: Flat pre with AA fine?

I'm constantly telling people that flatting pre with AA is a cardinal sin but here's a spot where I thought it was best. Be interesting to here what others think.

A 3-bet dynamic had cropped up in this game. Early in the game and I'd already 3-bet his min raise 3 times (with AKo, KQo and A8o) and he folded all of them. He has 3-bet me on hand before this and I called with J9o (probably should've folded but thought I could take it away on a few flops), he bet 3/4 pot on a flop of AQ7dd and I folded. He also 3-bet a few hands earlier and I folded

My thought process:

I min raise as normal, he 3-bets what I presume is light, at this point his range is fairly wide, I'm thinking Ax, K9+ QT+, 77+. I thought alot of his range folds out to a 4-bet shove w/o history against me. a non-AI 4-bet just looks strong, I type 175 before I opted to call, I think I kill any value again as he folds to most of them even if he 3-bets light. Also if I 4-bet light my range is pretty much strong hands only, don't thik I've ever seen a villian at this level do that light. I figure I call and he'll fire on the flop. Pretty much nut flop for me, at this point I'm hoping he has 77+. A6 is the only feasable hand that has it here. I call flop to let him fire on turn with Ax, 77+ hands. I think he has my range on overcards, Kx, Qx, JT-J8, type hands and think he can barrel me off most of my range on most turns. If e thinks he probably knows I've got him on Ax, Kx type hand and feels his perceived range is ahead of mine. I think he expects me to shove strong aces and fold weak aces pre. Pretty much no bad cards for me in deck. Q hits and he shoves, at this point it's an obv call and I expect him to have a strongish Q. Is there any merit to my pre flop play? If not what would you 4-bet to?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t440)
Hero (SB) (t560)

Hero's M: 18.67

Preflop: Hero is SB with A
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif

Hero bets t40, BB raises to t80, Hero calls t40

Flop: (t160) 6
diamond.gif
, 6
heart.gif
, 6
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t80, Hero calls t80

Turn: (t320) Q
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t280 (All-In), Hero calls t280

River: (t880) 10
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t880

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems fine to me, more than fine. we're short pre, so we have no real issues getting the chips in postflop.

Since we have a minbet dynamic, i'd likely just min bet him back here preflop and see if he spazzes out i think he will at least call most of the time anyways.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh it's hyper turbo which I didn't mention originally.

Yea I think I could min bet him pre but I think he calls rather than spazzes out, problem is I have initiative then which means he will be reluctant to get chips in especially when that move tends to be strong at this level. I felt like letting him get rid of the top of my range was best because then he would fire on numerous flops+turns and get it in with TPTK due to the large pot being created pre without me giving much info away about hand strength.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's fine as long as you're never folding postflop.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I'm never folding post flop, I'd check/shove on most flops bar hitting top set where I'd c/c as there are so few Ax combos he would have at that point. Also on flops like this and low card flops where he jsut never hits I planned on c/cand letting him barreling on a good turn card.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you've been 4-betting a lot or he rarely 3-bets this is pretty standard.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea that's what I thought. No 4-bet dynamic had been created yet and he was starting to repsond to my 3-bet frequency pretty quickly by 3-betting alot. Just wanted to check calling was fine.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Results: he flipped over KTo. I don't actually mind his play here.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really like his line with KTo. I'm sure your opening all Kx and probably folding K2-K9o to a 3b so 3betting pre really achieves nothing. Plus being so short when you 4bet is he folding or stacking? Also postflop what is he repping ... I think most A high probably call down here due to only beating by pairs in his range.

I like the way you played it though.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His 3-bet is standard. I don't think I have Ax in my range at this point as calling pre with a weak ace would be pretty horrible and I'd shove all my stronger aces. He will see enough folds at this level to make this play +ev imo which is why I don't mind it. He doesn't have to rep much, it's still difficult for me to call.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-betting KT for value is totally standard HU

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I have Ax in my range at this point as calling pre with a weak ace would be pretty horrible and I'd shove all my stronger aces.

Yeah good point didn't think about that.