$3.5 NLHE STT: Facing river donk jam early in a 6 man SnG

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are just 5 hands into a 6 man regular speed SnG on Stars. Never played with this opponent before, but including this hand he had raised preflop in 2 out of 6 and played 4 out of 6. So shaping up to be a bit on the active side, but still to early to have any real reads.

3-bet him pre with AQ, flopped trips second kicker and went for value on flop and turn. On the river he donk jammed for a little more than the size of the pot. Do we call here, and any comments about the earlier action?

pokerstars, $3.13 + $0.37 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 6 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 2,015 (101 bb)
MP: 1,593 (80 bb)
CO (Hero): 1,503 (75 bb)
BU: 351 (18 bb)
SB: 1,325 (66 bb)
BB: 2,213 (111 bb)

Pre-Flop: (48) Hero is CO with A♣ Q♠
UTG raises to 40, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to 120, 3 players fold, UTG calls 80

Flop: (288) A♦ A♥ T♠ (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets 95, UTG calls 95

Turn: (478) 9♣ (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets 239, UTG calls 239

River: (956) 3♥ (2 players)
UTG bets 1,558 (all-in), Hero?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First I will start off by saying that I like the way you played the hand from 3 betting pre to your bet sizing on the flop and turn. The river card is basically a brick as no draws come in and we I think we can safely assume that villain does not have 33 here as they could raise that pre but I think they would have folded to the turn bet with that. I know you stated we know nothing about the villain but if the villain was a thinking player we could add to all of variables here that they really should know we have a good chance at having Ax here so they should deter them from bluffing us. However, in my opinion this hand is just too good to fold. You could be running into a set of 9s or 10s, AK, and even less likely A10 or A9 but there are also Axs that do this that we beat and this player could be also doing an ill timed bluff. This is a 6 man sng that is just getting started so given that these are usually tournaments that we grind and will play a lot of I think you call and put your chips in the middle here. This is a great spot to have a huge stack early. I do fear that this is a flop and runout that the villain could slowplay with almost no risk and know that you have a decent shot at having Ax which would be hard to fold but I still like going with it here.

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I called the river, that I go all in on a white river, but that I was an active player does not indicate much value. plus a bet that could be made with an A worse or pure bluff. I would pay in that sequence

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the input. I did in fact make the call. I think, if he actually had a boat, he would be much more inclined to check to me again and let me continue hanging myself. Also no hands really improved on the river other than maybe A3 of spades exactly. So to me this looked like a wild bluff, and since he did seem to perhaps be a bit of an action player, I almost beat him into the pot. He had Q9 of diamonds, so he was in fact bluffing :D

I have not played these 6 man SnGs a lot, but they seem to attract a fair amount of insane maniacs like this, at least up to the 3,5$ level. In this particular one we were heads up after just 25 minutes and still only in the third blind level, which is pretty insane. The other surviving player was a solid reg though, and I ended up taking second place.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I add something from me. I think that on that small blinds and deeps stack I prefer playing bigger 3bet pre flop. I think that on the flop small bet looks good, we have probably the best hand. I don't see in opponent's range AKo, because with Ako opponent should play more aggressive pre flop at this level. The turn and river cards seem safe, so I think that on the river usually we have the best hand and we should call his bet, because our hand is too strong to fold. Besides it is 6 players sng and players are more loose than full ring game. GL :)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting hand! I like your play on all streets leading up to the river.
I think we definitely have to call here given that his line doesn't make a lot of sense, and also because we beat hands in his value range like random AXs. Lastly, there aren't many AK and full house combos left in the deck :)