3.40 PS turbo : AJ in first level

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No reads yet, so going on usual ranges.

pokerstars Game #11519730508: Tournament #58451107, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2007/08/16 - 14:10:42 (ET)
Table '58451107 1' 10-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: threeputtpar (1480 in chips)
Seat 2: a.reite (1480 in chips)
Seat 3: §amsung (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: TDO82j (580 in chips)
Seat 5: trich350 (2780 in chips)
Seat 6: baxteru (1180 in chips)
Seat 7: Don_Gotti_66 (1550 in chips)
Seat 8: nagypower (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: smartyou (1480 in chips)
Seat 10: jeffred1111 (1500 in chips)
TDO82j: posts small blind 10
trich350: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jeffred1111 [As Jh]
baxteru: folds
Don_Gotti_66: calls 20
nagypower: folds
smartyou: folds
jeffred1111: raises 60 to 80
threeputtpar: calls 80
a.reite: calls 80
§amsung: folds
TDO82j: raises 500 to 580 and is all-in
trich350: folds
Don_Gotti_66: folds
jeffred1111: ???

What do I do here? Considering that my raise wasn't all that big and that I get two callers, this might be an AI to collect dead money or a big reraising hand (AQ, AK, JJ and up). Also, with two cold-callers and assuming usual range (paint + AJ and up + 88 and up), am I behind to everyone more than 50% of the time here?

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very routine fold, you are not ahead most of the time, and one of the other players in the hand might call.

_MavsFan_

_MavsFan_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would put him on a Ak, or PP such as 10 10. He is short stack, so he might be going all in on a Ax as well. But, I would probably fold here since it is early in the game.

-MavsFan

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very routine fold

This. I'll often fold AJ first time around in MP with an EP limper in level 1 of a SNG, nevermind calling after some guy has shoved what amounts to a third of our stack in.

I don't see how you can say "no reads" when the shover is down to 580 chips in level 1, by the way.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to fold this Jeff, as fast as you can. I know there is a great chance the shover is squeezing and you might be ahead of him, but you can't forget you have 2 players to your left in this pot making it way too much action for AJ.

To answer your question, even w/o reads its pretty safe to assume someone is ahead of you over 50% of the time. With AJ I really think the only way to go for you (besides folding which is absolutely the best) would be to shove so you could get the other 2 perhaps to fold and keep this HU with TDO82j, but its very risky and probably not worth the 200 in dead money.

Flat calling the all-in and getting called by one or both of them would be a disaster, cause you'd have a marginal hand, a big pot, and you're also OOP.

M

Mvemjsunpx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If there wasn't action behind you, I would endorse calling here, since he's short-stacked & it's a turbo so you don't have much time to be patient.

But since there's cold-calling action behind you, you should fold. One of them will likely call & you calling will only make that more likely. AJ is a bad hand for a big, multi-way pot.
You could shove, but if one of the cold-callers calls, you're probably finished.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This. I'll often fold AJ first time around in MP with an EP limper in level 1 of a SNG, nevermind calling after some guy has shoved what amounts to a third of our stack in.

I don't see how you can say "no reads" when the shover is down to 580 chips in level 1, by the way.

This was very early, probably the fifth hand and I was HU in two other SNGs, so let's just say that I hadn't any serious reads on him (from not paying that much attention). Plus, the hand that he lost that much chips in, he lost them fair and square playing QQ against a rivered two pairs (89 or 9T, don't remember), so I don't feel comfortable labeling him as loose or tight yet. Better off to tag him as an average opponent than speculate on his play.

As far as the question goes, of course I folded in a heartbeat. But the interesting thing was that the two cold-callers called the all-in and both had KQs (the shortstack had something useless such as A3o but he paired). Now, since they acted after me, was the FIRST caller behind me right in calling with KQs since the original raiser had folded?

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now, since they acted after me, was the FIRST caller behind me right in calling with KQs since the original raiser had folded?

I had a feeling this was how the hand was going to turn out. Obviously they are not right in calling with KQs.