$3.40 NLHE: What would you do here?

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.40 NL HE: What would you do here?

My image is tight, and I have shown down a few good hands where I raised pf to back it up.

I know this is a marginal raise from the CO, just trying to mix it up a little, with a little steal possibility mixed in .... button is real tight.

I have the FD post flop, and I feel like I should C bet.

Checking here is a mistake, right?

Do you bet? If yes, how much?

Stacks:
* BTN with 2741
* SB with 5190
* BB with 2415
* UTG with 5325
* MP1 with 3210
* MP2 with 3395
* CO with 2130

Blinds: 75/150
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to CO:9♥ 8♥
* * Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
* * 3 players fold.
* * Hero raises 300 to 450
* * BTN calls [450]
* * 2 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 5
* * Potsize: 1125
Flop:
* * 10♥ 5♣ K♥
* * Hero ?
Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is your stack size. With only 14 big blinds, making the 3xBB raise preflop and then cbetting a reasonable amount (600 or more), that's at least half your stack in the pot already. With the flush draw on the flop you wouldn't ever want to fold if your cbet is raised, so either make an overbet shove there or check-fold the flop. You could check-shove, but you're getting called a huge percentage of the time and you give up a lot of fold equity by not making the first move yourself.

Really you shouldn't have to make that decision in the first place. With that hand in the cutoff with 14 big blinds, you should be either folding or open shoving preflop. Your stack isn't big enough to be getting into contested pots with speculative hands. Best to either commit or get out.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd probably still bet 600 or shove here. The best thing is that you still have outs if you get called

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really you shouldn't have to make that decision in the first place. With that hand in the cutoff with 14 big blinds, you should be either folding or open shoving preflop. Your stack isn't big enough to be getting into contested pots with speculative hands. Best to either commit or get out.

+1 Your M<10 so you should be in push/fold not taking a flyer with suited connectors.

Once you take the flyer and have hit a good draw ya gotta shove.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I guess I shouldn't have been in this situation in the first place, but once I was"*, I didn't feel checking was right.

I bet 600 and he folded.

Thanks for the ideas.

* It occurs to me how many times poor play is accompanied by this comment.

trashcan

trashcan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go for CRAI here and its not even close, this way you can get some better hands to fold some percentage of the time

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the preflop raise here if the players behind you are playing conservatively.
I advocate moving all in here on the flop on a semi bluff.
It gives you the best chance to win the pot uncontested a high percentage of the time and if you get called you are going to have outs.
You may get him to fold the best hand this way too.

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a fold PF. Seriously, it looks pretty, it beckons you to play, and it's really really boring to keep folding such seductive hands, but please do so in this situation if you like money.

Refresher: You want to play suited connectors against lots of opponents with deep stacks where it represents a small percentage of your stack to do so and your opponents play like crap after the flop. Of those criteria, this situation *may* meet one and I need more evidence to support that. Fold it.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a fold PF. Seriously, it looks pretty, it beckons you to play, and it's really really boring to keep folding such seductive hands, but please do so in this situation if you like money.

Refresher: You want to play suited connectors against lots of opponents with deep stacks where it represents a small percentage of your stack to do so and your opponents play like crap after the flop. Of those criteria, this situation *may* meet one and I need more evidence to support that. Fold it.

I'm honest when I say that I VERY rarely will play these cards under these conditions.

The biggest thing I run into is a feeling that I'm being too predictable, and I have to mix it up a little. I will admit this may not have been the best time do do this, if for no other reason that my stack size which I know didn't really support this kind of a move.

But I hear ya. I know your advice is correct and I appreciate it.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't agree at all. If your image is tight in my experience you will just steal the blinds a high percentage of the time here, enough to make the raise profitable, and if you're called your hand still has potential. If you're reraised you'll have to fold but this isn't going to happen that high a percentage of the time. I would however favour a raise to 375 or 400 here, as opposed to 450, which will still get the players to fold weak hands.

C

Caysewell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm honest when I say that I VERY rarely will play these cards under these conditions.

The biggest thing I run into is a feeling that I'm being too predictable, and I have to mix it up a little. I will admit this may not have been the best time do do this, if for no other reason that my stack size which I know didn't really support this kind of a move.

But I hear ya. I know your advice is correct and I appreciate it.

There's no need to try and mix up anything in a $3.40.

You should definitely fold suited connectors preflop with your stack size. If you're playing anything, just open shove or make it 375 with the top of your range.

On the flop, betting 600 would commit you to the pot. As played, I would shove the flop.

If you find waiting for hands boring, consider playing more tables.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have two options once you have put yourself in this situation:
Check and try to get away cheap, or shove.

If the BTN is tight, a shove here might buy you the hand. I doubt it. A solid King would call a short stack 3X pre-flop. Hell, I would even call that with K-10 which means you are waaaaaayyyy behind. Tuck tail, minimize the damage, see as many free cards as you can (obv. shove if you do make the hand) and make better decisions pre-flop next time.

Sure, you would be down to about 1500 chips, but I've been in worse spots and come back to place ITM.

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have made a better decision preflop but, now that u got yourself in this situation, your decision must be either check and pray to see some cheap cards or to dump. I prefer dumping as you will be a great chance of picking up the pot. Gl at the tables!