$3.40 NLHE STT Turbo: Tight regular raises 2.5x UTG 10BB, sitting with AQo

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.40 NL HE STT Turbo: Tight regular raises 2.5x UTG 10BB, sitting with AQo

poker stars $3.00+$0.40 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds - 8 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

MP1: t3525 35.25 BBs
MP2: t1700 17 BBs
CO: t260 2.60 BBs
BTN: t1905 19.05 BBs
Hero (SB): t2275 22.75 BBs
BB: t1455 14.55 BBs
UTG: t1015 10.15 BBs
UTG+1: t1365 13.65 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is SB with A:spade: Q:diamond:
UTG raises to t250, 5 folds, Hero?

Is this a fold?

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold even though I wouldn't like it not sure why he just doesn't go allin that short unless he has a big hand and wants action. His utg range should be quite narrow.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lets look at the 3 options we have

1) Call and play a pot out of position with 7.65 effective stacks in a 6bb pot against a strong range. Not going to be profitable

2) Shove into a range that has AQ pretty well dominated unless he is really bad which was not indicated in op so I am not going to assume that. Not going to be profitable

3) Fold... lose the small blind. I like this one

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 100% agree with you guys. From what I can tell, he is a very competent player. What would he 2.5x here and not shove? Must be a hand that is seeking action.

So then, which hands would merit a shove in this situation?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this is an actual solid reg then raising to 2.5 rather than shoving suggests a hand that wants action, which is really just JJ+. I think AK and the rest of his range probably just shoves. If that's the case I think we can fold.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lets look at the 3 options we have

1) Call and play a pot out of position with 7.65 effective stacks in a 6bb pot against a strong range. Not going to be profitable

2) Shove into a range that has AQ pretty well dominated unless he is really bad which was not indicated in op so I am not going to assume that. Not going to be profitable

3) Fold... lose the small blind. I like this one

+1

I agree - toss the ace queen.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is an actual solid reg then raising to 2.5 rather than shoving suggests a hand that wants action, which is really just JJ+. I think AK and the rest of his range probably just shoves. If that's the case I think we can fold.

absolutely! could probably throw JJ over into the shoving range.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Using that logic that means one would have to fold QQ which is really gross. Not sure if I'd do that, hmm don't know.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sometimes the reads can be off on "solid regs" at this level. they may have decent stats, but serioulsly, even the solid regs are not very good at the 3.40's. I've only played one guy who was able to adjust to me, and since i have adjusted back he's been calling with the same range, so he obv can't adjust twice, anyways. Any decentish reg will be raising a tight range, but we can't rule out stuff like AQ perhaps AJs and pairs like 88 here, i know he is raising small UTG, but i notice a lot of regs doing that, becuase they fail to see that they are under 10bb's. So yeah it's hard to say what there exact range is for shoving or raising, perhaps they never shove until they hit 7bb's who knows, we just have to assume he is either trapping here, or if he isn't then he is a really bad reg, and we can note it down for future reference.
Raising spazzy amounts with stacks of under 12bb's is Something that's hard to pick up on, but there are a few of them who do it religiously, some even raise folding from the SB with shortstacks etc. Do give him credit and fold the AQ here, but folding QQ would be a sin in this spot, because while we assume if he is a reg he should be extracting value out of KK/AA, he could just as easier be raising with the same normal UTG range he always does, the one mentioned above might be close. Something i'm learning rapidly is to not overestimate your opponants at small stakes.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes the reads can be off on "solid regs" at this level. they may have decent stats, but serioulsly, even the solid regs are not very good at the 3.40's. I've only played one guy who was able to adjust to me, and since i have adjusted back he's been calling with the same range, so he obv can't adjust twice, anyways. Any decentish reg will be raising a tight range, but we can't rule out stuff like AQ perhaps AJs and pairs like 88 here, i know he is raising small UTG, but i notice a lot of regs doing that, becuase they fail to see that they are under 10bb's. So yeah it's hard to say what there exact range is for shoving or raising, perhaps they never shove until they hit 7bb's who knows, we just have to assume he is either trapping here, or if he isn't then he is a really bad reg, and we can note it down for future reference.
Raising spazzy amounts with stacks of under 12bb's is Something that's hard to pick up on, but there are a few of them who do it religiously, some even raise folding from the SB with shortstacks etc. Do give him credit and fold the AQ here, but folding QQ would be a sin in this spot, because while we assume if he is a reg he should be extracting value out of KK/AA, he could just as easier be raising with the same normal UTG range he always does, the one mentioned above might be close. Something i'm learning rapidly is to not overestimate your opponants at small stakes.

I was contemplating that I was giving him too much credit. What about JJ/AKs?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's generally a good range to call down if the guy was shoving from early, and re-stealing it's a good range, perhaps i may tighten it to JJ+ AKs, JJ is kind of close here i think i'd lean toward folding it sometimes, as we don't have any fold equity here either.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WiZ, I am so screwed when you finally make it to the $12s on Tilt. I'm gonna have to quit poker or answer my long-lost calling in Razz ring games or something until you move up past me :p

You're right, I'm thinking about what I'm used to from a solid reg. If the reality is more what you're saying then I agree, it's probably still a marginal fold with AQ here but we can easily ship JJ+ / AK.