$3.40 NLHE STT: Q7o bubble 200-400

F

FastandFurious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200.00/t400.00 Blinds - 4 players - View hand 1222612
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): t1485.00 3.71 BBs - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 2.5, hands: 6545
CO: t875.00 2.19 BBs - VPIP: 10, PFR: 9, 3B: 3, AF: 1.0, Hands: 129
BTN: t8740.00 21.85 BBs - VPIP: 32, PFR: 14, 3B: 3, AF: 5.0, Hands: 129
SB: t2400.00 6 BBs - VPIP: 16, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 129

Pre Flop: (t600) Hero is BB with 7
spade.gif
Q
heart.gif

CO raises to t850, BTN calls t850, 2 folds

Me and CO were in a folding war.. both playing very tight.. blind level just increased and CO pushes all-in.. BTN was kinda abusing the bubble.. so I think he's call here is also pretty wide.. Anyway Wiz says to fold here and call only 33.0% if CO push 55% and BTN BS calls about 44%..

So it's a fold.. but I was wondering if it's really a terrible move to shove here? Cuz in that way if BTN or me wins I finish 3rd or better and only when CO wins I'll be 4th unless CO wins and I win sidepot vs BTN I might still have a small chance.. Aside from that I don't have any fold equity after my BB with about 2bb left..

Of course I can also overcall and hope for a cooperation play but I don't know.. in that case if CO or BTN wins I'll only have about 1,5bb left and ain't gonna help me much too..

Btw ..it's an obvious call if BTN didn't call right?

MuscleMan76

MuscleMan76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't even be thinking about calling here. Let the big stack KO the small stack. The fact that the BTN called instead of iso-betting, probably means he's really strong.

I think it's still a fold if BTN didn't call. You're risking more than half your stack with Q high. Not a good call, would probably be a good open-shove with Q7 though.

Either way, if you lose, and for some reason don't have all your chips in. Your down to ~600 and 1/3 of your chips are already in the pot for your SB next hand. Plus there's probably antes since this is on stars, so your'e risking your tourny here. I think you would be much wiser to fold in either situation.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely fold in this spot. You dont want to take any unnecessary risks when you are on the bubble and there is already somebody all in. If the BTN didnt call though I think it would be a good idea to call. The CO only has 2 BB so he is shoving VERY wide, even though his VPIP is 10 I cant imagine he is going to play tight here. 90% of the time you are going to be 60-40 one way or the other which is a great spot to be in since the blinds are 1/3 of your stack.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't even be thinking about calling here. Let the big stack KO the small stack. The fact that the BTN called instead of iso-betting, probably means he's really strong.Perhaps, but couldn't it also mean he's calling to help Collude on the bubble? This happens a lot and is sort of an unwritten rule among poker players, even bad ones.

I think it's still a fold if BTN didn't call. You're risking more than half your stack with Q high. Not a good call, would probably be a good open-shove with Q7 though. At that point we'd be getting Odds that are way too good to turn down, we'd only need to put in another 475 to win 1600 odd. So well over 3:1. At that point, if we fold, we're just gifting him a pot without a showdown. Even if we had 23off we have to take him to showdown, even though it leaves us crippled, we are not in good shape anyway.

Either way, if you lose, and for some reason don't have all your chips in. Your down to ~600 and 1/3 of your chips are already in the pot for your SB next hand. Plus there's probably antes since this is on stars, so your'e risking your tourny here. I think you would be much wiser to fold in either situation.

OP's rationale is actually pretty good. We can actually make overcalls in certain situations, but this isn't one of them.

Reason is the table setup. Even if the Shortstacker wins here, we are in the SB next hand shoving into him, so he is NEVER getting a walk. So i'd just let him bust out in this particular situation.

However it's great the OP is looking for overcall spots like this. If the stack setup was differant, or we had fewer chips (But still more than the other shortstack). I can see a call for a few reasons.

1. It helps us kind of lower the amount of chance the other shortstack guy wins the hand. He now has to beat 2 players to cash in this tournament, since we have him outchipped.

2. If we lose, some of the time we bubble. This isn't a big deal, we have very little equity anyway, and getting ITM doesn't give us much of a chance to get 2-1st place.

3. If we win, our Equity skyrockets, and we are now in a good shape to actually win this tournament.

4. If the other shortstacker does win, we are now in 4th position. As mentioned in this particular hand, we get to shove into that shortie from the SB, but he is likely also calling wide, so we're going to showdown next hand a lot of the time anyway. Also the other thing that can happen is that one of the others raises/shoves and we fold out. Getting into folding wars in SNGs isn't something i like to do, sometimes it's neccesary, but i'd like to avoid it if i can. So taking up an overcall situation helps us avoid that spot.