$3.30 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Too timid in a rebuy?

crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holding Ad8d and called when two following players went AI. Naturally i was kicking myself when i saw the flop. My question is: Did i play too timid considering the rebuy format?

Hand:
pokerstars Game #52117945222: Tournament #338010513, $3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2010/11/03 20:18:47 CET [2010/11/03 15:18:47 ET]
Table '338010513 510' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: stevee10 (2350 in chips)
Seat 2: Antonius111 (4225 in chips)
Seat 3: Wet'nWin (11735 in chips)
Seat 4: screths (1920 in chips)
Seat 5: felix269 (3000 in chips)
Seat 6: arturitooo (3450 in chips)
Seat 7: SubEntrY (8215 in chips)
Seat 8: crancko (5590 in chips)
Seat 9: wendy366 (1500 in chips) out of hand (moved from another table into small blind)
stevee10: posts small blind 50
Antonius111: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to crancko [Ad 8d]
Wet'nWin: raises 125 to 225
screths has timed out
screths: folds
screths is sitting out
felix269: folds
arturitooo: folds
SubEntrY: folds
crancko: calls 225
stevee10: raises 2125 to 2350 and is all-in
Antonius111: folds
Wet'nWin: raises 6150 to 8500
crancko: folds
Uncalled bet (6150) returned to Wet'nWin
*** FLOP *** [Td Jd 5d]
*** TURN *** [Td Jd 5d] A♥
*** RIVER *** [Td Jd 5d Ah] 6♠
*** SHOW DOWN ***
stevee10: shows [Qd Qs] (a pair of Queens)
Wet'nWin: shows [As Qc] (a pair of Aces)
Wet'nWin collected 5025 from pot
stevee10 re-buys and receives 1500 chips for $3.00
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5025 | Rake 0
Board [Td Jd 5d Ah 6s]
Seat 1: stevee10 (small blind) showed [Qd Qs] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 2: Antonius111 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: Wet'nWin showed [As Qc] and won (5025) with a pair of Aces
Seat 4: screths folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: felix269 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: arturitooo folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: SubEntrY folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: crancko (button) folded before Flop

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold, IMO. You guessed correctly that you were dominated.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like a good fold to me too - with an AI and a caller it's highly likely that A8s is beaten and that proved to be the case. Getting a flop like that is one of those eye rolling moments but doesn't change the fact that you made the right decision at the time.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It`s very difficult to generalise about tactics during the rebuy period, as it`s massively dependent on the opponents. Different tables differ hugely. Some can be absolutely wild and others are as tight as any freezeout.

Having said that, I don`t see many situations in which your preflop call here is likely to be +EV. You are asking to be squeezed if the table is at all aggressive. I`d probably fold preflop but, if you`re going to play, I think you have to raise.

As played, your fold to the all-in seems sound to me. The way the cards fell afterwards is not relevant.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Having said that, I don`t see many situations in which your preflop call here is likely to be +EV. You are asking to be squeezed if the table is at all aggressive. I`d probably fold preflop but, if you`re going to play, I think you have to raise.

You'd 3bet here with A8s in CO?? I wouldn't.
I think the flat pre is fine.... you're looking to see a flop with a hand that can potentially win a huge pot if you hit.

Personally my goal in a rebuy is to attempt to get a decent stack for the tourney that starts once the rebuy period is finished. In one of those $3rebuys on Stars, if I get a stack of 5-7k+ before addon I'm probably doin' okay. (in other words > once I get a decent stack I'm not going to get it in real wide & donk off half of it.... like in this hand... 'ez fold'). It does depend on your table though (obv).

crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys. Was one of those hands that can haunt me for hours. Play is quite varied in these. Seems to me that this daily $3.30 60k guaranteed is a wild play bonanza, which is why i quite enjoy it. Makes it easier to assemble a reasonable stack while rebuy is in play.

ET, you're right: I was too weak going into the hand. I'm glad i didnt totally crap out responding though.

crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally my goal in a rebuy is to attempt to get a decent stack for the tourney that starts once the rebuy period is finished. In one of those $3rebuys on Stars, if I get a stack of 5-7k+ before addon I'm probably doin' okay. (in other words > once I get a decent stack I'm not going to get it in real wide & donk off half of it.... like in this hand... 'ez fold'). It does depend on your table though (obv).

I share just about the same goal: 10k plus after addon will be fine for starting the real mtt.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'd 3bet here with A8s in CO?? I wouldn't.

No, I said I would fold.

You won`t often hit the flush. If you do, you won`t often get paid off big, since three suited cards on the board often dampen the action. The more likely result of a flat call is that you will be squeezed out of the hand by a raise behind you which you can`t call (this is in fact what happened in the example).

It would be a tough one to calculate out and put numbers on it, and I am playing several tournies at present and am not going to try. My guesstimate is that the number of times you lose 225 chips by calling will, in total, outweigh the rare occasion when you win a big pot.

All of this is, of course, subject to my previous comment that rebuy tactics depend hugely on your knowledge of your opponents` tendencies. We don`t have that info here, which makes the debate a little too abstract to be really useful.

crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The table had several high aggro players. The daily $3.30 rebuy always have. Limping wasnt really an option, though that was what i tried. Would probably have called a 2x or 3x raise...

I'm out now. Ended in the money with KK against a suited A3 - villain hit an A on the flop :(

But hey, tomorrow's another day :D:D:D