$3.30 NLHE MTT: Laying down a middle pair pre-flop. I think that was a good play.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm posting this hand as an example of what I believe was a good lay down pre-flop. When the flop comes, I had that moment of agony (that old "look what I could have hit if I hadn't folded?"). But then the way that hand played out was a great lesson in playing smart to win the tournament, not just focus on winning a hand. I would have lost the hand and taken a very bad beat.

Do you agree that this was a hand to be laid down considering the raise and large reraise?

Absolute/UB Cereus Hold'em, $600.00 BB (9 handed) - Absolute/UB Cereus Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($9694)
MP1 ($17334)
MP2 ($5316)
MP3 ($30698)
CO ($15153)
Button ($4639)
SB ($6565)
Hero (BB) ($18512)
UTG ($5115)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8
heart.gif
, 8
diamond.gif

4 folds, MP3 bets $1672, 2 folds, SB raises to $6291, Hero ????

Last edited by a moderator:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it really depends on reads. as default folding is fine, reshoving is meh. I'd get it in with TT+/AQs/AK

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You haven't talked about the table dynamics, opponent reads nor how far on this is in the tourney etc but yes in general, after a raise and reraise (with the reraise being effectively an AI for a third of your chips) I'd be looking at 88 with some scepticism. It's only a middle pair and there is a strong likelihood that your opponents have cards that will beat you post flop even if you have the strongest hand pre-flop.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol. a case of double results oriented thinking.
Preflop Thinking. I folded a weak pair to heavy preflop action. LOOK HOW SMART I AM
Flop Thinking. Doh! I woulda flopped a set. LOOK HOW DUMB I AM
Showdown Thinking. Wow, sure glad I didn't play that hand, I'd be on the rail now. ONCE AGAIN I AM SMART.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol. a case of double results oriented thinking.
Preflop Thinking. I folded a weak pair to heavy preflop action. LOOK HOW SMART I AM
Flop Thinking. Doh! I woulda flopped a set. LOOK HOW DUMB I AM
Showdown Thinking. Wow, sure glad I didn't play that hand, I'd be on the rail now. ONCE AGAIN I AM SMART.

Exactly the point I was trying to make! Wish I stated it like that.

I haven't heard the phrase "double results oriented thinking" before. I like it.

bolda3

bolda3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fold pre was fine-don't look at post flop results, no one knows what those cards will be. Your 88 vs up against 99, so a good laydown.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
please, 1) convert your hands, and 2) don't post results!! If you post in Hand Analysis, it should look like this:

Absolute/UB Cereus Hold'em, $600.00 BB (9 handed) - Absolute/UB Cereus Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($9694)
MP1 ($17334)
MP2 ($5316)
MP3 ($30698)
CO ($15153)
Button ($4639)
SB ($6565)
Hero (BB) ($18512)
UTG ($5115)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8
heart.gif
, 8
diamond.gif

4 folds, MP3 bets $1672, 2 folds, SB raises to $6291, Hero ????

Please do this in the future! I'm editing this into OP for now, but I'll just move it or flat out delete it next time.

kthxbye :D

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way you can truly get in here is if you have some sort of read on the other big stack. Some sort of evidence that he's just a turd and is raising garbage that can't call the little guy's shove. The shove is slightly too much compared to our stack to make an isolation raise without shoving...so I would lean towards folding here most of the time.