$3.30 NLHE MTT: I was confused on every street. Tear me apart.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
The general rule for entering a pot, when someone else have already raised, is, that we go back to their position, and then we enter with less hands, than we would open raise from their seat. The opponent raised from LJ, and A9o is a clear fold from LJ, so its an even more clear fold, when someone else have already opened from LJ. You need at least AJo and more preferably AQo to make this call.

Flop
Taking a stab when checked to is ok. Checking back would not be insane either.

Turn
Now there are 3 hearts on the board, and the opponent decided to lead out after check-calling the flop, which is often referred to as a donk bet. You have A of hearts, which cut down on his flush combos, and most people would also C-bet with a flushdraw. So I dont think, there are a lot of flushes in his range. He could have a hand like AJ, that check-called flop, but leading out with that is definitely an overplay, when you can easily have both a Q and a flush.

So while I dont want to narrow him down to just one type on hand, his actions here are most consistent with him having a Q. Its definitely not uncommon for people to slowplay trips, and then when the third heart comes, he kind of panic and dont want to allow you to check back hands with a single heart in them. Which is in fact exactly, what you happen to have. If his range is mainly trips, you clearly dont have fold equity, so getting it in now makes no sense. On the other hand you are getting a good price, so even though drawing on paired boards is always a bit dangerous, I am ok making the call.

River
Given the range, I gave him on the turn, this is a very easy fold. The main hand, that would take this line as a bluff, is A of hearts, and he cant have that, since you have it yourself.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://play.americascardroom.eu/on...b96655d396cfabee0e8510b07ce7be4a77d16df199da9

I wanted to call the river so bad but couldn't bring myself to do it. My reasoning was they were playing an ace the same as me so I was just hoping for a chop. I could have folded preflop, but calling wasn't crazy. Their turn bet felt like a Kh or possible paired the jack.

Thank you for posting

When we are confused in a hand it is because we did not preplan it. We develop our preplanning in-game skills by studying the hand off table by using available data
from the hand and tools like GTO charts etc.

First data point preflop-
V has 20bbish stack GTO chart says what range opens in this spot?-if u do not have access to charts there are free charts available out there.

To keep it simple in this example V opens a tight range A9off + A3s+ 66+

Our GTO range bottom to play vs the V is AT off

Second data point Both the blinds are sub 20bb so they can shove and should be shoving some % of the time. This requires us to tighten our calling ranges in this spot as we do not want to call and fold to the shove.

Good to look at what the blind GTO shove ranges are and use equilab to see what your equity would be with A9off vs those ranges.

At this point in data gathering it appears A9 is a fold most often here.

As played

Our V has SPR of 3 and this is a terrible flop for us as any bet we make is polarized because we are capped preflop. Plus the V is not going to fold top of range because you might have a Q. The V will also check top of range to you as they will play for stacks here so they will trap often.

We want to think about our sizing on this flop if we have a Q do we really bet half pot into such a short stack? Solver sizing is 25% in spot like this. The big bet comes on turn with Qx and bluffs.

Hope this helps
:):)

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop
The general rule for entering a pot, when someone else have already raised, is, that we go back to their position, and then we enter with less hands, than we would open raise from their seat. The opponent raised from LJ, and A9o is a clear fold from LJ, so its an even more clear fold, when someone else have already opened from LJ. You need at least AJo and more preferably AQo to make this call.

Flop
Taking a stab when checked to is ok. Checking back would not be insane either.

Turn
Now there are 3 hearts on the board, and the opponent decided to lead out after check-calling the flop, which is often referred to as a donk bet. You have A of hearts, which cut down on his flush combos, and most people would also C-bet with a flushdraw. So I dont think, there are a lot of flushes in his range. He could have a hand like AJ, that check-called flop, but leading out with that is definitely an overplay, when you can easily have both a Q and a flush.

So while I dont want to narrow him down to just one type on hand, his actions here are most consistent with him having a Q. Its definitely not uncommon for people to slowplay trips, and then when the third heart comes, he kind of panic and dont want to allow you to check back hands with a single heart in them. Which is in fact exactly, what you happen to have. If his range is mainly trips, you clearly dont have fold equity, so getting it in now makes no sense. On the other hand you are getting a good price, so even though drawing on paired boards is always a bit dangerous, I am ok making the call.

River
Given the range, I gave him on the turn, this is a very easy fold. The main hand, that would take this line as a bluff, is A of hearts, and he cant have that, since you have it yourself.

Thank you for posting

When we are confused in a hand it is because we did not preplan it. We develop our preplanning in-game skills by studying the hand off table by using available data
from the hand and tools like GTO charts etc.

First data point preflop-
V has 20bbish stack GTO chart says what range opens in this spot?-if u do not have access to charts there are free charts available out there.

To keep it simple in this example V opens a tight range A9off + A3s+ 66+

Our GTO range bottom to play vs the V is AT off

Second data point Both the blinds are sub 20bb so they can shove and should be shoving some % of the time. This requires us to tighten our calling ranges in this spot as we do not want to call and fold to the shove.

Good to look at what the blind GTO shove ranges are and use equilab to see what your equity would be with A9off vs those ranges.

At this point in data gathering it appears A9 is a fold most often here.

As played

Our V has SPR of 3 and this is a terrible flop for us as any bet we make is polarized because we are capped preflop. Plus the V is not going to fold top of range because you might have a Q. The V will also check top of range to you as they will play for stacks here so they will trap often.

We want to think about our sizing on this flop if we have a Q do we really bet half pot into such a short stack? Solver sizing is 25% in spot like this. The big bet comes on turn with Qx and bluffs.

Hope this helps
:):)
Thanks for the replies!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
What a nice flush with A, but a very possible full house occures! Right fold for avoiding a bigger leak.

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold Pre, A9o too weak to call. If you think you can exploit Villain, you should've placed a 3-bet.

Not sure why you bet on the flop. A9 has decent showdown value and has some equity against a good portion of villain's hands.