$3.30 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $3.30 $ NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Top pair vs nuts

G

GSPchamp315

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just played 3.30 $ tournament on pokerstars (I won the ticket because I successfully completed a quiz on poker school). So there were 1975 players and I finished 371 (288 get payed - 5.9k gate) and I was among the chip leaders for almost 2 hours of the tournament than lost two hands in a row against A A and fell down to about 8k than claimed back up to 13k and then I think I missplayed this. So I had A K of clubs and I raised 3 big blinds (1.5k), big blind called and flop was A J 8 of hearts I raised to 2k, he called and turn was 2 of diamonds so I've put him to K J or something like A 10 with having a flush draw so I shoved (with about 10k behind, he called and he had the nuts - K 2 of hearts. I was maybe a bit tilted at that point

I

invisile

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay we have 26bb pre. Flop strd. Turn we have 10k behind and pot is like 8k. This point i would slow it down and try to get showdown cheap as possible.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, it's better to post the entire hand history.

That aside, why did you decide to put him on the range you did? Ranging isn't a matter of just picking some possible hands. It's about considering all the hands the opponent might reasonably have and adjusting their weighted probabilities based on what you know about his style, the action so far, etc.

I wouldn't expect him to have the hand he actually had, but how / why did you rule out hands like AJ, 88, maybe even JJ?

G

GSPchamp315

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ruled them out because he was big blind and he was thinking some time before he called so I've put him on a medium/weaker hand.. idk maybe I put him on that just because I wished he had that

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your move is just right. It so happen he was very very lucky on the flop. You have to pay him off. Just my thoughts.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ruled them out because he was big blind and he was thinking some time before he called so I've put him on a medium/weaker hand..
The strength of your read that his slow call meant a modest hand depends on how often and how consistently you've seen him do this. How much history did you base this on? The thinner a given read is, the more you have to allow for the possibility it's not completely accurate.

In this case, there's a difference between eliminating certain hands from his range vs. deciding they're less likely than average to be in his range.

idk maybe I put him on that just because I wished he had that
I wish I could say I never indulge in wishful thinking. That said, the less wishful we are and the less often we're wishful, the better.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have very big stack what shove in turn, hands what we beat fold, but hands that beat us never fold.. In turn need c-bet again if he shove i think we can find, because stack very big what play on whole..