$3.30 NLHE MTT: Blind Struggle with 99 on QJJ

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HI, What do you think of my play here. Early in the tournament blinds 30/60, no reads on opponent.
My thought process:
I'm ahead preflop therefore raise.

Donkbet on the flop -likely he has Queen or flush/straight draw, its cheap so i call and i still have position.

Turn: Ace falls,and it helps my pf raising range (I don't know if he knows it) so I try to make him fold this queen or flush/straight draw. but he still calls .

RIVER: If he was chasing now he caught it, and even if he is holding queen I don't know how often will he fold on the river to make - bluff profitable so i decide to check back and lose minimum.

poker stars $3.00+$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t30/t60 Blinds + t5 - 8 players - View hand 2741255
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP1: t5816 M = 44.74
MP2: t5905 M = 45.42
CO: t3115 M = 23.96
BTN: t3762 M = 28.94
SB: t2935 M = 22.58
Hero (BB): t3345 M = 25.73
UTG: t7411 M = 57.01
UTG+1: t2976 M = 22.89

Pre Flop: (t130) Hero is BB with 9 of hearts 9 of clubs
6 folds, SB calls t30, Hero raises to t200, SB calls t140

Flop: (t440) Q of diamonds J of diamonds J of clubs (2 players)
SB bets t180, Hero calls t180

Turn: (t800) A of clubs (2 players)
SB bets t240, Hero raises to t600, SB calls t360

River: (t2000) 4 of diamonds (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Final Pot: t2000
SB shows 5 of hearts Q of spades (two pair, Queens and Jacks)
Hero mucks 9 of hearts 9 of clubs
SB wins t2000

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without stats, flop only call, turn fold because board very coordinated and makes no sense to do 2bet, you already can be far behind and can make a lot of mistakes.

Ace falls,and it helps my pf raising range (I don't know if he knows it) so I try to make him fold this queen or flush/straight draw. but he still calls .
It is only your guesses, such a game will always be -EV. Without any kind of statistics you can not so to argue, you know nothing about your opponent, if vilain loose-passive (I think so, because flop/turn he bets very small) he can call your 2bet with Qx or can have Ax, he never fold this cards even with bad kicker.

Last edited:
27DaNutz

27DaNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if it was me i would be calling the bet on the flop

However villain calls your pre flop raise.. he bets the flop and then bets the turn which for me is where i pretty much give it up on the turn .. he could have numerous hands that your always behind to.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After villain's preflop line I'm never bluffing the guy.

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It reads like a Queen. Limp pre then calls...I don't believe him on the flop. I don't usually believe donk bets because it's opposite of their original image.

I think if you limped because your holding a strong hand then why would you try to show strength on the flop to change my opinion. Because he is BvB he doesn't believe the A turn and calls. He couldn't raise it without looking super strong so he just calls (so we cannot rule out a Acombo of some sort)..however when he checks turn it means that he originally thought he hand was strong. But now he just wants to see a showdown. What's weak pre and strong on that board? A Jack is unlikely leaving Qcombos.

The question is if we can bet big and get him to fold a Q?

Also you'll get better feedback if you hide results. Luckily I didn't scroll all the way to the bottom before I came to a conclusion but it makes it much harder to be objective if you see the results.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no reads i'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here more often than not, i might peel one card to the turn, but once he bets twice the hand is dead to me.

I would also raise smaller preflop(but it's not a big deal), only because he's almost always calling, and our hand really doesn't play that well postflop/we're looking to c-bet and be done with the hand most often.