No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Bounty
Currency
$
This is a $3.30 bounty Micromillions event, and we are at the beginning of the tournament.

SB has this stats over 129 hands played with him: VPIP 17 PFR 12, 3-bet 8.93 C-bet 60 Turn C-bet 100

I wanted so much to call here, but I don't think it will be a good call that's why I folded the hand. I think he has this range and against that range is basically a flip.

What do you guys think? How would you play this hand?

pokerstars, $2.94 + $0.36 - Hold'em No Limit - 125/250 (30 ante) - 9 players

UTG: 32,045 (128 bb)
UTG+1: 7,755 (31 bb)
MP: 10,457 (42 bb)
MP+1: 9,454 (38 bb)
LP: 12,398 (50 bb)
CO: 11,797 (47 bb)
BU (Hero): 25,123 (100 bb)
SB: 17,750 (71 bb)
BB: 7,301 (29 bb)

Pre-Flop: (645) Hero is BTN with A J
6 players fold, Hero raises to 625, SB 3-bets to 2,250, 1 fold, Hero calls 1,625

Flop:
(5,020) 2 3 4 (2 players)
SB bets 3,514, Hero calls 3,514

Turn:
(12,048) 4 (2 players)
SB bets 11,956 (all-in), BU (Hero) folds

Total pot: 12,048
SB wins 12,048

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey mariussica88! how are you doing?
Why do you put him or this range? I mean, is it likely that he 3-bets from the SB with hands like 43s, 32s, Q8s or even K9o? Do you have some read on him?

Preflop:
Fine! We choose to see a flop in position. That's great. We can also start estimating a 3-bet range. His 3-bet stats are not low: almost 9% is a good 3-bet percentage, so we can wide a little bit the 3-bet range, specially because the BB has just 29 BBs, and bounties are always attractive.
A range like (13.1%) 66+, A8s+, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QJs, ATo+, KJo+ looks fine, what do you think? We include some bluffs and some marginal hands, imagining he may want the BB bounty.

Flop: In a board like this, unless he has a pocket pair, he misses basically everything. He may also know that you will miss the board a lot as well. We can call his bet and evaluate the turn. If he checks, we might bet to try to take the pot, but we might also check-behind and try to see a showdown and expect him to have KQs, for example.

Turn:
This is a very difficult spot, but I think you made the best decision, specially when it comes to micro stakes. In micro, people generally don't bluff too much. If it is a bluff, ok, nice hand. But what hands would he 3-bet and double-barrel you with? I tend to give him full credit this time.
Also, we need to remember that this is a bounty tournament, and you cover him, so why would he risk his tournament life against you? The chances of dealing with a pair like 88+ is quite high.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
While I believe his range is most likely wider than you think, I believe that the way you played your hand was completely fine.
Pre-flop the raise was automatic in your spot and so was the 3-bet call. I would do exactly the same.
On flop I see 2 options, you either call as you did holding two over cards or you re-raise his bet and get a better picture of what he might have. Personally I'm most likely calling myself also, but with with raising there you either make him go all-in and you fold to that or you slow him down, being able to see more cards and getting the aggressor position.
On turn I don't see ourselves calling all in with 2 overcards and paired board. We are most likely beat, even if he missed the board. As poster above me said, we are only beating hands like KQ K9 and such.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hey mariussica88! how are you doing?
Why do you put him or this range? I mean, is it likely that he 3-bets from the SB with hands like 43s, 32s, Q8s or even K9o? Do you have some read on him?

I have some notes on him, he defends his blind almost every time. And against me, he know that I steal a lot from late positions if no one raise before me, that's why I put him on that range, even though I think he 3-bets a lot wider than that.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Turn:
This is a very difficult spot, but I think you made the best decision, specially when it comes to micro stakes. In micro, people generally don't bluff too much. If it is a bluff, ok, nice hand. But what hands would he 3-bet and double-barrel you with? I tend to give him full credit this time.
Also, we need to remember that this is a bounty tournament, and you cover him, so why would he risk his tournament life against you? The chances of dealing with a pair like 88+ is quite high.

Even though I believe he had a wide range here, I think that this time he had me beat, that is the reason I gave up on the turn.