$3.30 NL HE MTT: How could I have played this differently?

J

JadeBaud77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
VP$IP
PFR
Game Options
  1. Deep Stacked
AF
Currency
$
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 39/16/4
Hi all,
My first post, apologies if this is the incorrect forum to review a hand. Been playing for about two months now, studying lots, reviewing lots, learning lots. Poker is a fascinating game and the study of human psychology and emotion control. I love it.

Wondering how I might have played this hand differently. After about 4 hours and 437 players in a MTT, I was on top by a strong margin at 67BBs with three others behind me, the next closest was at 43BB and the villain here was at 20BB. I was playing a tight (25/27/6). The villain was playing fishy (39/16/4) by going all-in after every flop to build up his stack. I tolerated it for about 11 or 12 hands. I admit to feeling a little frustrated here.
I jumped in with a trap hand KTd from the small blind, standard 3BB bet. He calls. Flop comes Ad, As, Qd. So possible flush, possible strait draw but I'm still OOP with an aggressive fish, expecting him to go all in. I bet 5.2BB, he calls. NO all-in from him, wtf? I thought about an ace in his hand but the temptation of the two draws on my side was worth playing it out. Turn shows 3d so I've made my flush, Ace-King high. I feel this is where I should have bet bigger, but I only went in for 13.7BB, he raises to 19BB all-in. You will see that this was a bluff 3bet. Here again, I just called his bet. River shows 7d which, as it turns out makes his full house as well as improving my flush. I ended up losing out on 83,000 chips here.
Comments? Thoughts? I'm pretty new so I'd love to hear what others may have to say.

Pacific Poker - 1500/3000 Ante 375 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 20.45 BB
Hero (SB): 66.36 BB
BB: 27.51 BB

CO: 37.68 BB

4 players post ante of 0.13 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2 BB) Hero has K:diamond: T:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) A:diamond: A:spade: Q:diamond:
Hero bets 5.26 BB, BB calls 5.26 BB

Turn: (17.03 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:
Hero bets 13.79 BB, BB raises to 19.12 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 5.32 BB

River: (55.26 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond:

Hero shows K:diamond: T:diamond: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 46%, Flop 34%, Turn 77%)
BB shows A:club: 7:heart: (Full House, Aces full of Sevens)
(Pre 54%, Flop 66%, Turn 23%)
BB wins 55.26 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to the forum, and this is the right place to share a hand.

Preflop
You can limp or raise here, and its largely dependent on style and dynamics.

Flop
You flopped a 12 out draw, but its a paired board. Here you can either C-bet or check-jam, but if you C-bet, it should only be 30-40% pot.

Turn
You made a flush, and here you have several options. You can check to "trap", you can jam to make it look bluffy, or you can make a small bet 25-30% pot and get the rest in on a clean river. Your bet committed you to the pot, so it was essentially a jam. But there is no reason to leave 5BB behind and create some awkward river spot. So that was a slight mistake, which luckily the opponent corrected for you.

Results
Just a bad beat / set-up. Whatever you do, the result would always be the same, when he has that exact hand. Even if you had gotten to the river with chips behind, you cant check-fold the nut flush, just because its a paired board. You had 77% equity on the turn, when most of the chips went in. This is the number, you want to focus on, rather than the river card, which of course we dont control.

J

JadeBaud77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Welcome to the forum, and this is the right place to share a hand.

Preflop
You can limp or raise here, and its largely dependent on style and dynamics.

Flop
You flopped a 12 out draw, but its a paired board. Here you can either C-bet or check-jam, but if you C-bet, it should only be 30-40% pot.

Turn
You made a flush, and here you have several options. You can check to "trap", you can jam to make it look bluffy, or you can make a small bet 25-30% pot and get the rest in on a clean river. Your bet committed you to the pot, so it was essentially a jam. But there is no reason to leave 5BB behind and create some awkward river spot. So that was a slight mistake, which luckily the opponent corrected for you.

Results
Just a bad beat / set-up. Whatever you do, the result would always be the same, when he has that exact hand. Even if you had gotten to the river with chips behind, you cant check-fold the nut flush, just because its a paired board. You had 77% equity on the turn, when most of the chips went in. This is the number, you want to focus on, rather than the river card, which of course we dont control.
Thanks for this. I did see the 77% equity upon review. I had plenty of chips to try and scare him off at the turn. Not sure if he would have scared off with 3A of a kind and gunning for the full house. I'm starting to understand the small probability of bad beats.

One thing I don't yet understand, what does a paired board mean?
Cheers

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had plenty of chips to try and scare him off at the turn.
When we are betting for value, our goal is not to "scare off" hands, that are far behind. The goal is to get called by such hands, so that we can win a bigger pot, when a bad beat does not happen.
One thing I don't yet understand, what does a paired board mean?
That its less attractive to draw to a straight or flush, because you might lose to a boat, even when you make your hand. Like it happened this time.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop: Agree that you can limp or raise here as you did and if you raise it should be more than a min raise. When villain calls here starting with 27 BBs and our raise is 3x I dont expect them to be calling wide. I would put them on something that they think has some value (ie I dont think they call here with 75 off or something like that unless your image is loose).

Flop: As already mentioned, way too large a sizing but I slightly disagree with Fundiver above on the check jam route as a good option since this is a paired board and its the card I expect villain to most likely have if my thought process is correct that they are not calling light pre flop. That makes our flush draw a little weaker than normal due to the boat possibility by the end of the hand when all 5 cards come (which is what wound up happening). I think if we do check here and villain has Ax they actually will bet smallish due to they wouldnt want us to fold so we could just check call here if the sizing is small enough and see the turn and also have some showdown value with K high. I like betting the flop much more than checking, especially since we opened pre, and do highly agree here that it should be a smaller sizing to something like 1/3rd pot since Ax is never folding.

Turn: Its another bet that is too large as if we are going to bet this big then we should be all in but we dont want to go all in here since we dont want Ax to even consider folding. Therefore, I think we bet small here again (setting up an easy river jam of half pot or so) or we check and act as though we are scared. The only thing I dont like about checking is if we get checked back for some odd reason and then river comes another diamond as it wound up. That would kill all action unless we are up against a boat so my preference would be to bet small here and hope villain comes along or just says 6 BBs out my 19 BBs left is enough for me to just put it all in and then of course we snap call. I may be overthinking a check back as not sure it would ever happen if the villain had what I thought they had after calling a pre flop raise and as played calling a large flop bet but I would not want to leave it to chance. After your bet getting raised only a few BBs more with the hand we have is an easy call. Unfortunately they got there.

J

JadeBaud77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Thanks for this. I considered a check/raise on the turn due to his aggro play on earlier hands. I fully expected him to go all-in after the flop. I hadn't considered small getting 8n the turn and this is a good suggestion as an option. Not that it would have turned out any different in the end.
I appreciate your thoughts.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 39/16/4
Hi all,
My first post, apologies if this is the incorrect forum to review a hand. Been playing for about two months now, studying lots, reviewing lots, learning lots. Poker is a fascinating game and the study of human psychology and emotion control. I love it.

Wondering how I might have played this hand differently. After about 4 hours and 437 players in a MTT, I was on top by a strong margin at 67BBs with three others behind me, the next closest was at 43BB and the villain here was at 20BB. I was playing a tight (25/27/6). The villain was playing fishy (39/16/4) by going all-in after every flop to build up his stack. I tolerated it for about 11 or 12 hands. I admit to feeling a little frustrated here.
I jumped in with a trap hand KTd from the small blind, standard 3BB bet. He calls. Flop comes Ad, As, Qd. So possible flush, possible strait draw but I'm still OOP with an aggressive fish, expecting him to go all in. I bet 5.2BB, he calls. NO all-in from him, wtf? I thought about an ace in his hand but the temptation of the two draws on my side was worth playing it out. Turn shows 3d so I've made my flush, Ace-King high. I feel this is where I should have bet bigger, but I only went in for 13.7BB, he raises to 19BB all-in. You will see that this was a bluff 3bet. Here again, I just called his bet. River shows 7d which, as it turns out makes his full house as well as improving my flush. I ended up losing out on 83,000 chips here.
Comments? Thoughts? I'm pretty new so I'd love to hear what others may have to say.

Pacific Poker - 1500/3000 Ante 375 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 20.45 BB
Hero (SB): 66.36 BB
BB: 27.51 BB

CO: 37.68 BB

4 players post ante of 0.13 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2 BB) Hero has K:diamond: T:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) A:diamond: A:spade: Q:diamond:
Hero bets 5.26 BB, BB calls 5.26 BB

Turn: (17.03 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:
Hero bets 13.79 BB, BB raises to 19.12 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 5.32 BB

River: (55.26 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond:

Hero shows K:diamond: T:diamond: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 46%, Flop 34%, Turn 77%)
BB shows A:club: 7:heart: (Full House, Aces full of Sevens)
(Pre 54%, Flop 66%, Turn 23%)
BB wins 55.26 BB
Trying not to see results going action by action--well done posting for the first time - hope this helps

Ok so your numbers in the explanation and the numbers below are not the same you say 20bb but below it says 27.5

You mentioned mental game aspects of poker- What is our goal on with this stack distribution?

Top 2 is where we expect to be -anything else at this stage would be giving up EV-
How do we get top two-- we do not get into a battle for stacks without nut advantage We do not give up our chip lead easily

You then say you are getting frustrated by the other players actions- that suggests that we have lost focus on our goal--win the MTT and started focusing on beat this player--That is a good spot to study.

Ok you have KTs a great trap hand you say- so you raise it OOP against a loose agg? Could we not have trapped with it by flatting?

Ok they call of course and the flop sucks so we check I hope?? Let me see -nope we bet - Did you not think this flop sucks- Yes you have a flush draw to a royal on a paired board but if we bet and miss the turn do we really want to bet again? Or call if they bet?

We get called which is not great--turn is the flush we get all-in as we might and we win?? Nope the V sucks out.

This is mostly a cooler we still have a very playable stack size so we are ok but we could have stack protected in this spot which enables us to maybe get away from the rivered full .

:unsure::geek: