Preflop:
1 players fold.
Hero raises 400 to 600
BB calls [400]
Total folds this street: 1
Potsize: 1200
Flop: Q♦ A♦ 8♣

Hero:???

Villain is 36/18/1.3 over 50+hands (small sample)

I really hate not having position in this spot (should have shoved Pre-flop). Best course of action here would be? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated...

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably just shove this preflop since ur sitting on 10 BBs and if u get a call you'll be oop and a flop like this really sucks. As played I guess I just shove, Villains range is larger than Ax here so just get it in.

V

vpb0i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
obv fold, cant do much with two over pair on the board, and yes shove preflop was right,

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Stacks:
BB with 5585
BTN with 1380
SB with 2035

hand.pl

Blinds: 100/200
Site: Pokerstars
Dealt to SB:J♠ J♦
Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
1 players fold.
Hero raises 400 to 600
BB calls [400]
Total folds this street: 1
Potsize: 1200
Flop: Q♦ A♦ 8♣

Hero:???

Villain is 36/18/1.3 over 50+hands (small sample)

I really hate not having position in this spot (should have shoved Pre-flop). Best course of action here would be? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated...

Hello,

Not the best flop but it's not terrible either. BB has a large stack and he could be defending very wide. I'd let my time clock run for awhile and check it over to make it look like I'm trapping with my Ax etc. If villian decides to bet I would fold. If he checks back I'm shoving the turn.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

On the bubble being the 2nd stack and the short stack already folded, this is a mandatory shove preflop.

There are no arguments for doing anything else with JJ at 10bb effective in this spot preflop.

A decent player in the BB 3bet jams REALLY wide and we have to fold JJ (I didn't run the numbers).

As played, this is a terrible spot on the flop and later streets unimproved, check all streets unimproved and try to see a cheap showdown. Don't put any more chips in the pot because BB could be looking to bubble-abuse us, eg if BB jams any street, we have to fold unimproved.

cheers

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On that board, JJ is usually not good.

For me, 10 BBs or less is just an open shove.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You answered your own question. With 10 BB with JJ in the sb position, you need to play open-push

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hopefully understanding of push-fold ranges have improved since 2008, where this hand was posted ;)

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hopefully understanding of push-fold ranges have improved since 2008, where this hand was posted ;)

I STILL see people NOT shoving hands like this pre-flop, because they're SO desperate to trap an aggressive player. However, I've seen this enough of the time to actually have the opposite effect they are hoping for, which, I suppose is fine, if you are fine picking up 1.5-2 bbs.

Good players will see through this and will think to themselves that this player is playing with their cards face-up.

That said, you mentioning push-fold ranges is completely bang-on, in that, depending on your stack size, you are JUST as likely to be shoving Aces, as you are Suited Connectors. THAT makes you tougher to play against.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I STILL see people NOT shoving hands like this pre-flop, because they're SO desperate to trap an aggressive player.

I also see people min-raising from SB in spots, where they should clearly either jam or limp. Its a little annoying, when you have a weak hand, because you kind of have to call and then fold on a lot of flops. But on the other side they get their ass handed to them, when you are strong enough to jam it in their face, or when you actually outflop them.

My comment was mostly meant to alert people, that this hand is from 2008, before they start giving OP more advice. By the way interesting to see, that they had 3,25$ SnGs back then. I wonder, it that means 3$ buyin and 25c rake? And in that case why oh why did they have to change that? It was fair and reasonable, but now you pay 37c rake for a 3,5$ 6-man and 39c for a 9-man.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Call preflop, because JJ is good postflop. Also if we call and if bb raise, then we push.

S

SoulMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check/Fold. Not going all-in pre flop was too greedy.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jam flop and load up the next one, I think the bb would of put you all in with any Ax so you might get lucky and find some folds like weak Qx, We dont know if the BB is stack aware to put you all in but if he is, JAM FLOP

if he isnt JAM FLOP and load up next game

EDIT YEA MAN - JAM FLOP he has way too big of a stack not to put you all in PRE