2nd Pair, but Weird River Bet

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy's been in almost every pot, most of the time limping...I don't give him credit for much of a hand here, but then there's the overbet on the river. I always thought this type of bet was an indication for a strong hand that wants to get paid off. Also, he made the sort of bet a few hands later with 2nd pair after it was checked to him and he could have checked behind for showdown value.

pokerstars Game #21198414618: Tournament #114214464, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2008/10/14 18:23:47 ET
Table '114214464 1' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: *Sack Attck* (1390 in chips)
Seat 2: eshams (1540 in chips)
Seat 3: soupy38 (1490 in chips)
Seat 4: alexsolis420 (1975 in chips)
Seat 5: fly_up_high (4335 in chips)
Seat 7: The Shrog (1595 in chips)
Seat 9: drunknorway (1175 in chips)
fly_up_high: posts small blind 15
The Shrog: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to The Shrog [Ks 8s]
drunknorway: folds
*Sack Attck*: folds
eshams: folds
soupy38: folds
alexsolis420: calls 30
fly_up_high: folds
The Shrog: checks
*** FLOP *** [7c Ah Kh]
alexsolis420: checks
*** TURN *** [7c Ah Kh] [Ac]
alexsolis420: bets 30
The Shrog: calls 30
*** RIVER *** [7c Ah Kh Ac] [8d]
alexsolis420: bets 210

I

inhum8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
and then ? you called ? for me, even with a fish, i wouldn't have called, because it's a little pot, and u have no stress with blind levels... u can wait a litlle to catch him, for more...

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and then ? you called ?

Where did you get that I called? I didn't post any results, because I wanted to get some feedback first...

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If opponent was limping that much I probably would have raised preflop and then c-bet this.

On the river here I think I call as this bet can easily be a bluff. His limping range is pretty wide and Ax is only about 1/3 of it.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There's only 135 in the pot (not including the last bet of 210).. Wouldn't be worth it if you called and lost the hand. I would have folded.

Though.. if I had to put him on something... I might have put him on a flush draw after the turn, and tried to push you off on the river. I guess he could have an Ace.. but I don't really think so. Unless he played them badly.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
looks like most likely a bluff to me but is it worth picking off is debatable. I would probably just fold and make note of the play.

M

mrjohnson911

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
though spot, really depends on the read, but from the type of player you re discribing i probably would have called, cause if u dont, he can make this same play back at you every time, and u cant know/assess where ur at... also i think there is a good chance that ur ahead

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was under the assumption that usually an overbet is a bluff or if done earlier, most likely a draw, cause with an over bet you want your opponent to fold. And a smaller bet, especially on the river is a value bet, just trying to get a little extra out of ya. But this also is based on your read of your opponent, cause it is a good tricky play on occasion to overbet with a good hand to try to cripple your opponent. But on this play I would have folded, because the blinds are small with no raises throughout, so the larger bet to me seems like your opponent has the ace and he's looking to get more than a hundred___ chips for his set.