$27 NLHE MTT: AQ vs 88?

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, friends!:)
29.10.21 won a satellite ticket for $ 27. 30.10.21 played at 22:01 (the prize was 20 tickets for $ 1,050).Due to the fact that I have no experience of participating in such tournaments, so I played very tightly, hoping to increase the stack and only then show aggression.But, unfortunately, I took off in 170th place.I wanted to ask you for advice on how I should have played in general and in the last hand in particular.Thank you in advance!)
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/1a1GsomR

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, friends!:)
29.10.21 won a satellite ticket for $ 27. 30.10.21 played at 22:01 (the prize was 20 tickets for $ 1,050).Due to the fact that I have no experience of participating in such tournaments, so I played very tightly, hoping to increase the stack and only then show aggression.But, unfortunately, I took off in 170th place.I wanted to ask you for advice on how I should have played in general and in the last hand in particular.Thank you in advance!)
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/1a1GsomR

Thank you for posting.

Satty play is very close to normal play until late stages of the satty. We have to build and maintain a stack but we do not need all the chips so we do not need to push every edge.

The AQ hand

First we ask why did we just call AQ with 30bb preflop?
Calling is ok but we changed our play post flop from why we would just call preflop.
We did not want to go broke with AQ
When we call it is to not raise fold or raise get it in vs the UTG range from a monster stack.

On the flop the monster stacks range can still be ahead of us with AK AKspades AA TT 66 AQspades
They may be behind with AJspades KK QQ JJ KQspades when the V leads 200.
We saw this V blocker bet the 88 which means they blocker 99 77

Looking at that range is a click back the best choice on flop?

When the flush hits the turn is shoving the best choice with the above V range?
What worse hands call the turn shove? What are we targeting for value?

Hope this helps
:):)

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting.

Satty play is very close to normal play until late stages of the satty. We have to build and maintain a stack but we do not need all the chips so we do not need to push every edge.

The AQ hand

First we ask why did we just call AQ with 30bb preflop?
Calling is ok but we changed our play post flop from why we would just call preflop.
We did not want to go broke with AQ
When we call it is to not raise fold or raise get it in vs the UTG range from a monster stack.

On the flop the monster stacks range can still be ahead of us with AK AKspades AA TT 66 AQspades
They may be behind with AJspades KK QQ JJ KQspades when the V leads 200.
We saw this V blocker bet the 88 which means they blocker 99 77

Looking at that range is a click back the best choice on flop?

When the flush hits the turn is shoving the best choice with the above V range?
What worse hands call the turn shove? What are we targeting for value?

Hope this helps
:):)
Hello! :)
Thank you for your valuable advice.I hope over time I will gain experience to play for such applicants.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I understand you correctly, this was still far from the money, so there are no particular ICM considerations, and we can play this basically like a cash game hand.

Preflop
Being UTG+1 with AQo and facing an UTG open is actually a fairly tough spot especially with this stack size of 25,5BB. If you 3-bet jam, you are not getting a good risk/reward, and you are smoked by the range, that call. If you 3-bet small, you have to put in a large percentage of your stack, so you dont have any great options, if someone 4-bet. And finally if you call, you allow 6 players behind you to either take position or squeeze. So while calling is probably better than 3-betting, I would actually not hate to simply fold. Especially when UTG is the chip leader and can bust you.

Flop
When he min-bet, you clearly need to raise for value and protection, but your sizing is way to small. You need to charge him to stick around, and you are not doing that by just clicking it back. A reasonable size is 1.000 to 1.200.

Turn
The frontdoor flush completed now, and if more chips had gone in on the flop, I would probably check back and then make a decision on the river. However because you just clicked him back on the flop, his range is still wide, and its probably fine to bet something like half pot to charge draws and hands like AJ. However when you move all-in for almost two times the pot, I think, you are creating a situation, where you are getting all worse hands to fold and only better hands to call, so your hand is to in between to use this massive sizing.

Conclusion
You definitely need to work on your betsizing. On the flop you went way to small, and on the turn you went way to large. This likely affected the outcome, because if you size your flop raise better, then 88 probably goes away. And this is ok, because he is not putting in more chips with 88 on the later streets, unless he hit his set. So by allowing him to stay in the hand, you just set yourself up for a situation, where you get stacked, when he hit it and win nothing extra, when he dont.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in a tough spot here with the rest of the table to act. In your position I would have probably done the same and just call the preflop raise. If the table is VERY aggressive I may actually fold.

You flop raise was MUCH too small. You did not bet enough to push him out. There are a lot of hands he could have bet here such as 2 spades, KQ, etc. and you need to bet enough where it is incorrect for him to call. You need to bet around the pot, say 1500 or 1600. In doing to you deny him the pot odds and the implied odds to call. If he comes over the top you have a decision to make. But most of the time you will be way ahead here.