$250 NLHE MTT: Mid Tournament Call with a set?

• Thread starter Everybodylovesdeuces
  • Start date
Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a $100 tournament with one $100 rebuy and a $50 add on, both of which almost everyone takes. 15k for the buy in and 10k for the add on for 40k total. We are in round 4 which is just after the rb/ao have ended. I have 44k. This is a fairly fast tournament for $250 with 25 min blinds.

Blinds are 100-300-600

A well known player to me (and who is one of the best players at the table) in 3rd position makes what I think will be the standard raise for this level to 1600. He is a pretty straight forward TAG but will lay down his hand on the turn when he has nothing. He has about 55k ss.

I flat with 5c5s. Everyone folds to the BB who also calls. I haven't played with him before today but he seems like a real blind defender. I have BB slightly covered.

Pot 6100

Flop 5dQs4h. Bingo! BB checks, Original raiser leads as expected for 2500. I decide to flat because this is a really dry flop and BB will call if he has any piece of it. BB does call.

Pot now 13600

Turn 3c. BB checks. OG raiser bets 5500. I see him breathing hard and I know this means he has a big hand. His range here is 44, QQ, AA, KK, AQ and maybe KQ. I decide to flat again. BB check raises all in. Now I've seen him take this exact same line earlier in the tournament with QT on a T high board, so to me this is representing weakness. Probably KQ or QJ, maybe AQ although I suppose he could also have 45 or 67. OG raiser goes into the tank and finally puts his chips in. Now I go into the tank. AA or KK seems so likely here.

Do you call for your tournament life? I have the 3rd nuts. The only hand I'm really worried about is QQ. If I fold I still have 34400 and an M of 17.

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call here,and go for it,like you said,probabil the original raiser have AA,KK or AQ,i put my chips here without any regrets..

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill go for it. Even if I bust this hand, I still have one rebuy which means not yet out in the tournament.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very easy call, snap it... If villain have high trips , is not your day...

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would generally be c/ring this flop. someone shoving this turn makes little sense unless they have a set or a straight. The texture that he was aggro with q10 matters a lot to decide

the_wonk

the_wonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flat pre is fine.

on the flop i much prefer popping it. An EP TAG is going to be on a pretty strong range, and I want to maximize the value I get out of his best hands.

think about it this way -- if opener doesn't have KQ+ are you going to be able to extract additional value from him regardless? probably not, right? he's going to shut down after he's called. and the corollary to this question, if opener does have KQ+ and you raise the flop, is he going to just fold? probably not, eh? so go ahead and give yourself a chance at gorging the pot now so that you can size larger on the turn and river.

your line (flatting the flop) gives you a chance at earning an extra small bet from hands like TT/JJ. that's not worth near as much as increasing the chance of getting the pot 2-3x as big when you are up against a big hand. and if you do happen to be beat, whatevs. easy call off the way you played btw.

i really shouldn't be giving advice to fellow portlanders. ;)

DonSifu

DonSifu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with the Wonk. And of course you snap call. Did you? what was the outcome?

B

baxre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call here. It's a chance to get a lot of chips.
Btw What is result of this hand?