$.25 NLHE: Play At The Bubble

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$.25 NL HE: Play At The Bubble

Please excuse the fact that I am having to type this hand out. I am having trouble copying the information from my email address, so it will have to do.

45 man SnG, at the bubble. 8 remaining, 7 get paid. Blinds are at 300/600 with a 50 ante. I am sitting at roughly 5,800 chips (6th place, with 2 crippled stacks) in the bb when I am dealt JJ. There is an early position raise of 4bb from one of the big stacks (10,800), who has been doing a good job bullying the table.

Given the information, am I correct in assuming that this is a shove/fold situation? With my stack and increasing blinds, is this the right opportunity to make a push for a top finish or should I sit tight and wait for the blinds to eat the small stacks before I make a push for advancing my rank in the tourney? Would you shove, or fold?

I will post the action and results after a few solid responses. Thanks in advance.

M

mrjohnson911

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a shove.. villain ist not going to call your AI with a lot of hands in his pfr range since your stack size can really put a hurt on him...

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please excuse the fact that I am having to type this hand out. I am having trouble copying the information from my email address, so it will have to do.

45 man SnG, at the bubble. 8 remaining, 7 get paid. Blinds are at 300/600 with a 50 ante. I am sitting at roughly 5,800 chips (6th place, with 2 crippled stacks) in the bb when I am dealt JJ. There is an early position raise of 4bb from one of the big stacks (10,800), who has been doing a good job bullying the table.

Given the information, am I correct in assuming that this is a shove/fold situation? With my stack and increasing blinds, is this the right opportunity to make a push for a top finish or should I sit tight and wait for the blinds to eat the small stacks before I make a push for advancing my rank in the tourney? Would you shove, or fold?

I will post the action and results after a few solid responses. Thanks in advance.

What is your objective? Are you trying to just cash, or are you completely focused on the win?

Also, what are the stats of the big stack? Or rather, is he calling any two and just getting lucky, or has he shown a propensity to bet fold if he hits resistance? Either way, not knowing how small the crippled stacks are makes it difficult to see if you can hold you stack and wait. The problem is you don't want to be the short stack when the bubble finally bursts.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My objective is to have a chance to win, or at the very least finish near the top end of the pay scale. The small stack has an M of 3, and waiting that out would put my stack at about 3k, which would put my M at about 3 after increasing blinds, and a double up then would put me about where i'm at now. So, any hand I commit to at this point pretty much has to be shove/fold because calling or standard raise/call cripples my stack.

At the final table, there is not a whole lot of actual hands played because of the bubble. There has been a lot of pots taken down PF, so I don't have a great read on whether he will call or fold.

Anyway, I shoved the hand and got called down with KK. I missed and was knocked out at the bubble.

The question still remains, did I evaluate the situation properly and make the correct play, or should I have waited. Again, i'm not concerned about the result, I want to know if the play was correct.

WVUsellers3

WVUsellers3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it was the right play. I would have shoved AI if I was in the same spot thinking I would be able to switch my spot with the other guy chipwise.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd shove in a second. I don't like JJ pre or postflop, but with the rising blinds and antes I would never give myself a second to think about getting out of it with a raise-happy bigstack. You definitely couldn't call, so good play and nice try, it happens...