$25 NLHE MTT Bounty: 3 bet IP against cold call from BB

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 level of tourney, we got 3rd stack on the table, slightly above avarage stack in tournament.

4x folds, Co (43bb) opens 2,1bb, hero with KsQs 3bets 6bb (57bb), sb folds, bb calls (44,2bb), Co folds,

Flop Js 3c 9h (15,6 bb pot)
2x checks,

Turn Js 3c 9h 6s (15,6 bb pot)

bb checks, hero bets 10bb, bb calls

I bet to stack him on river when I hit to take his bounty

River Js 3c 9h 6s 4d ( 35,6 bb)

BB checks, hero checks

I hate such situations, when I missed milion outs, bluffing, with no showdown value seems an idea, but it looks very weak, I think that he could even call me with something like AQ and every pocket pair

I don't have any reads, his range according to me is strong sth like 77-QQ,AQs-AJs,KQs,AQo, mayby some KK, AA

I thought about many lines. All in on flop, when I have sth about 32% equity, so with fold equity seems ok, but it looks like I would like to buy it, bet on flop for example half, makes difficult decision when he decide to shove.
On turn when I choose bet line I have easy shove turn, but when I checked on flop, checking on turn and betting are both resonable options, both have merits.
On river, do you bluff it?

Tourney is mistery bounty, but he is got probably basic bounty.

What do you think about this hand how would you play it?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-betting here is completely fine, and at some frequenzy we can also just call and see a cheap flop in position. Only folding is totally out of the question.

Flop
Getting our 3-bet cold called from the blinds should always send smoke signals into the air, because unless the opponent is a clueless fish, his range should be much stronger, than if CO defended after opening. So even though we flopped a gutshot with two overs, the overs are not very clear, and we need to make up our mind, if we want to start a bluff and potentially get him off hands like AK, AQ and TT if not now then later. Getting check-raised would suck, because we would have to fold, so all in all I do lean towards taking a free card.

Turn
The issue with this delayed C-bet is, that you are not really representing anything. Its not like, if it was As, where you could say "hey I have AK/AQ, and now I want value". So even though he showed weakness by checking again, I am not sure, you have enough fold equity to justify this. When we bet the turn with a draw, it can not mainly be to build up a pot for the nuts. There need to be some folds taking place also, since we only have one more card to bink out straight or flush, and even when we do bink, we usually dont get paid, when the opponent has taken such a passive line.

River
As played I kind of think, you need to pull the trigger and move all in to see, if that can get him to fold. As I said already, checking the turn kind of cap his range, unless he is being very tricky and passive with a hand like top set. It looks more like some marginal showdown value like those AK/AQ/TT I already talked about, and facing a decision for all his chips, he might still let those hands go, even your story is kind of poor.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6 level of tourney, we got 3rd stack on the table, slightly above avarage stack in tournament.

4x folds, Co (43bb) opens 2,1bb, hero with KsQs 3bets 6bb (57bb), sb folds, bb calls (44,2bb), Co folds,

Flop Js 3c 9h (15,6 bb pot)
2x checks,

Turn Js 3c 9h 6s (15,6 bb pot)

bb checks, hero bets 10bb, bb calls

I bet to stack him on river when I hit to take his bounty

River Js 3c 9h 6s 4d ( 35,6 bb)

BB checks, hero checks

I hate such situations, when I missed milion outs, bluffing, with no showdown value seems an idea, but it looks very weak, I think that he could even call me with something like AQ and every pocket pair

I don't have any reads, his range according to me is strong sth like 77-QQ,AQs-AJs,KQs,AQo, mayby some KK, AA

I thought about many lines. All in on flop, when I have sth about 32% equity, so with fold equity seems ok, but it looks like I would like to buy it, bet on flop for example half, makes difficult decision when he decide to shove.
On turn when I choose bet line I have easy shove turn, but when I checked on flop, checking on turn and betting are both resonable options, both have merits.
On river, do you bluff it?

Tourney is mistery bounty, but he is got probably basic bounty.

What do you think about this hand how would you play it?

Thank you for posting

GTO chart at 40bb eff KQs is a call not a raise- we are calling a wide range 17% of all hands so we include this hand. It plays well multiway and can dominate the CO open range. GTO has the CO shoving hands at 40bb when we 3bet and we do not want to call off vs a GTO shove range so we cannot equity realize in a spot like that.
Something to consider

As played preflop
On the flop we have gutter -2 overs and backdoor flush draw. This is a great spot to bet small.
We have AA--JJ all of which wants to bet small.
Plus if the BB has AJ or TT we want to get them to fold by the river so we have to setup our bluffs on the flop.

Also if a T comes on the turn we want the pot bigger and we do not want to make it look like we are now betting because of the straight.

When we bet flop small and pick up equity on turn we now bet 66% pot as we have soo many outs to a win here. This also indicates to the V that we will shove river. This increases the number of folds by a competent V.

Then we can bluff shove river expecting a reasonable number of folds.

As played turn:

We now do not want to bet here with the hope of hitting to get stacks. Why? our stack needs to be protected so we can get other bounties like the CO when we bet the 10 and lose it we fall below both the CO and the BB so now we are the bounty victim not hunter.

River All your thoughts make sense as played.

Hope this helps