$25 NLHE MTT: Was this a good play

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is the hand that knocked me out of my pub league tourney the other night. Let me know if you think I should have done something different.

The chip counts are approximates. There were 6 players at my table at the time. Big blind was 800.

Hero (UTG) - ~16 BB
Young lady (UTG+1) - ~12 BB
Villain (Button) - ~60 BB (running hot all night)
Hot blonde - ~22 BB
SB - ~16 BB
BB - ~25 BB

I am dealt 10-9 suited. I've been card dead most of the night, so I decided to raise it up to 1600 (2x BB). Everybody calls but the hot blonde lady. SO right away there are 8,000 chips in the pot. The table was typically fairly tight and you would usually only get 1 maybe 2 callers with a pre-flop raise.

The flop comes 9-6-4 rainbow. SB and BB check to me. I think about it and shove all-in with my top pair. The young lady next to me calls and the villain calls. The other two fold.

The young lady flips over 9-3, so I've got her dominated. The villain flips over 8-7, giving him an open-ended straight draw. Turn is a king, but of course the river is a 10, giving me two pair but the villain a straight, knocking me out.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have played the 10-9, but my stack was dwindling rapidly and I was going to have to make a decision soon. What do you think?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are card dead raise from the button with like 72o, that will show a much better chance at taking a pot down than this spot when you are UTG. dump it pre and open up way more in position. But with our stack size, we really should be looking to jam over loose raises alot more too.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the only problem I see here with your play is describing your opponents as "young lady" and "hot blonde".

this is not a joke.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When everybody folded to you while you in button or sb position,this is the perfect opportunity to steal.

iflylight

iflylight

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah its fine nothing wrong with how you played it

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
16bb is right on the edge of raising and shoving, I lean towards the latter. You don't need to have a premium hand to open shove, just one with a little equity and T9s fits the bill. Once the 9 flops you're never getting away from the hand, shoving was the right play, everything else was just drama.

the only problem I see here with your play is describing your opponents as "young lady" and "hot blonde".

this is not a joke.

I actually like it when hand posts try to be a little more descriptive than PLAYER1, and PLAYER 2 and describing an attractive woman (I'm making an assumption) as Hot Blonde seems more like an attempt to be playful than intentionally demeaning, and Young Lady is about as generic as you can get, but you clearly feel strongly otherwise. This is probably not the right thread to discuss this but sounds like a good topic for PLAYERS LOUNGE or GENERAL.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
16bb is right on the edge of raising and shoving, I lean towards the latter. You don't need to have a premium hand to open shove, just one with a little equity and T9s fits the bill. Once the 9 flops you're never getting away from the hand, shoving was the right play, everything else was just drama.

I actually like it when hand posts try to be a little more descriptive than PLAYER1, and PLAYER 2 and describing an attractive woman (I'm making an assumption) as Hot Blonde seems more like an attempt to be playful than intentionally demeaning, and Young Lady is about as generic as you can get, but you clearly feel strongly otherwise. This is probably not the right thread to discuss this but sounds like a good topic for PLAYERS LOUNGE or GENERAL.
I'm not suggesting the OP is being offensive or demeaning. I'm suggesting that describing your opponents that way hints at a leak in your own game in that you are blinded by their gender...possibly distracted or feeling sexual tension as neither descriptor is actually relevant to making poker decisions.

I think the technical play in this hand was totally fine. I thought I maybe picked up on a leak in the way he assesses his opponents.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not suggesting the OP is being offensive or demeaning. I'm suggesting that describing your opponents that way hints at a leak in your own game in that you are blinded by their gender...possibly distracted or feeling sexual tension as neither descriptor is actually relevant to making poker decisions.

I think the technical play in this hand was totally fine. I thought I maybe picked up on a leak in the way he assesses his opponents.
Ahh, I see what you're getting at. Could be something to that.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Fold pre... especially if we're talking about competent players (but maybe we're not?). With those stack sizes, one might assume that they'll be looking to gii over an open. Instead we get a 12bb stack 'calling' in EP... 'if' they were decent, one might assume this is a monster AA/KK but when we see later that they were actually holding 93o in that spot.. it makes the hand analysis a completely different story (imo). I'd think dialing it back to A-B-C might be best (when on a table where players aren't taking stack size into consideration).

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre... especially if we're talking about competent players (but maybe we're not?). With those stack sizes, one might assume that they'll be looking to gii over an open. Instead we get a 12bb stack 'calling' in EP... 'if' they were decent, one might assume this is a monster AA/KK but when we see later that they were actually holding 93o in that spot.. it makes the hand analysis a completely different story (imo). I'd think dialing it back to A-B-C might be best (when on a table where players aren't taking stack size into consideration).
You know, I don't really like folding pre here. With 16bb you're getting pretty low on fuel and you're not likely to survive much longer unless you chip up. Granted that 10-9s isn't solid gold but it is a gamer. Even without the str8 and flush possibilities both cards are likely to be live if you should get called. Min raising pre and open shoving most flops is a possibility but I like the preflop shove better. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know, I don't really like folding pre here. With 16bb you're getting pretty low on fuel and you're not likely to survive much longer unless you chip up. Granted that 10-9s isn't solid gold but it is a gamer. Even without the str8 and flush possibilities both cards are likely to be live if you should get called. Min raising pre and open shoving most flops is a possibility but I like the preflop shove better. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump.

Agree. The tougher the table the more likely I am to jam it here to avoid being outplayed. The softer the table the more likely I am to try to outplay them with a decent hand in position and minimize my variance.

Since it's a $25 pub league game I lean toward thinking the table is soft. Since the table contains a young lady and hot blonde it's definitely a soft table since girls are bad at poker. That's a joke. :)

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you were card dead all night that means they see you raising with top 15% hands max max, cant figure why 4 people call to your EP raise if they see you tight but they might know you..but shoving in a flop that doesnt hit your range it says you re bluffing, i would also call with a pair of 9 in their skin