$24 NLHE Deep Stacked: Suited connector flops small pair, facing turn check-raise

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$24 NL HE Deep Stacked: Suited connector flops small pair, facing turn check-raise

I know the golden rule is to not go broke with 1 small pair when playing small pps and suited connectors.

There's also the rule that turn check-raises are the nuts.

Naturally I ignored/violated both of those principles.

Reads: Villain had been limping a lot...saw him show down a small pair in a limped pot on a board like this. He also paid me off in a BvB battle when my 33 rivered a straight with an ace and he called with A6.

Comments on all streets welcome. Preflop is standard I think. Flop seems like I'm compelled to bet. To me his hand is face-up (AK/AQ) and the turn check-raise is so out of line I just stuck it in. I figured even if I'm beat I have some up to 11 outs but to be honest, I as 99.9% sure I was good.

I'm not sure what he thinks he is representing here except pure air.

Stacks:
BB with 3280
UTG with 2650
MP1 with 2980
MP2 with 2080
CO with 6090
BTN with 3755
SB with 3540

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
Dealt to BTN:7♥ 6♥
Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
4 players fold.
MP2 calls [50]
CO raises to 150
Hero calls [150]
2 players fold.
MP2 calls [100]
Total folds this street: 6
Potsize: 525
Flop:
3♥ 6♠ 2♦
MP2 checks
CO checks
Hero bets [300]
1 players fold.
CO calls [300]
Total folds this street: 1
Potsize: 1125
Turn:
2♥
CO checks
Hero bets [800]
CO raises to 1,600
Hero raises to 3,305, and is all in

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually like limping in with suited connectors, (as most here can testify:D ).
Villian is raising standard 3x bb. I would agree with your assestment here of AK/Q. I would also add to his range any small pp to maybe 99 and any A rag.

I would have either C-bet more on the flop or checked. If checked and raised I would have tossed the cards. You need too many cards to fill out your hand.

Fold and wait for a better hand.

Your play on the turn is one of donking away your chips.

Last edited:
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lolz he slowplay U!

Calling the turn seems like something to consider? I also don't like your turn bet size.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isnt this gonna be like small overpairs that the fish expertly slowplayed alot?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think about the strongest hand he could have here is 88 unless it's 33. If he has TT+ then good for him, but he obviously had A-high as he lolfolded.

G

Goinfordamill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good play

Hmmm I say you got a hold of someone that was trying to bluff the whole way. I hate to say it but I have made the mistake of betting all the way to the river with nothing, hoping to get a fold.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By calling the turn, don't we get the chance to let him spew more? And if we're behind, doesn't it give us a chance to catch up? I really don't see why jamming is good since we fold pretty much everything we beat, and are always called by better.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmm are we folding rivers when a face card hits?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmm are we folding rivers when a face card hits?
Maybe an ace, but I'm calling the rest. And considering 4 of the face cards are hearts, I'm not too worried about picking out the right scare cards to fold.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id have checked the turn kept the pot small and see what developed on the river, let him bluff if he is behind and if were behind lose the minimum, if a heart hits then value bet or raise if he bets... thats how id play it anways..

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd agree that betting the turn is bad.

But what is this turn min check-raise representing on this board? why wouldn't an overpair just shove?

H

HNRocketS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold the turn. Villain has over pair almost every time. No need to get it in with top pair crap kicker this early. especially in these 24+2's.