$225 NLHE MTT: OOP TPTK all heart flop

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a Live $225 NLHE shootout tourney. We started with 10,000 chips and 10 players and I have to win my whole table to move on to the next round. we still have 10 players and I have about 12,000 in chips.

Blinds are 100/200 no ante.

I am in the BB. It folds to the HJ who has just been sitting tight on his stack, he probably has 10,000. If I had to sterotype him I wouldn't call him a nit because he is young and he is intently watching the action like he is gathering reads on all of us. So I believe he is a young, thinking player who is playing TAG right now but he may plan on changing gears at some point.

HJ raises to 500. It folds to my BB and I have :ac4::10d4:.

Normally, I would fold a hand like ATo OOP vs a tight player, but again I don't think he's actually a nit and he is in late position. I think 3betting would be a bad play essentially turning my medium strength hand into a bluff vs a possibly strong range and I'd have to fold to a 4bet, or otherwise play an inflated pot OOP vs a player who I don't know anything about yet, so I elect to flat.

Pot contains 1,100

Flop comes :10h4::7h4::5h4:

action is on me. What should I do? Should I donk bet? How much? Should I check raise? Should I check-call?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 100/200 no ante.

Normally, I would fold a hand like ATo OOP vs a tight player

Pot contains 1,100

Flop comes :10h4::7h4::5h4:

I think you do not want to hear my oppinion on this hand, fold preflop lol :D Since i believe it takes you on really tough spots overall vs thinking player! he is young, but he is not a monkey!

As played: whatever you do, but do not commit yourselfe postflop. imo

ZekeRam

ZekeRam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check calling is fine here, you don't want to play an inflated pot on the turn as well. I'd fold most bets on 2nd and 3rd street too unless a 10 or non-heart A pops.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In game I decided to donk bet half pot with the plan of shutting down/pot controlling the rest if the hand and obviously folding to aggression or a terrible run out.

He thought for a minute before folding. I don't know if donk betting or check/calling is the better line but at the time I felt that giving a free card was too risky because overs and hearts are all bad for my hand so that's like a third of the deck that makes my hand really tough to play.

ZekeRam

ZekeRam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think donk betting is optimal here, there's not enough money in the pot to warrant, dare I say, a steal. A wet board plus his position is the perfect setup for a float. If he calls, there's no pot controlling here since the only move you have is to check, 2 barreling is way too risky since that'll put 18-20% of your chips in the pot.