$22 NLHE STT: Button steal, did I misplay this hand ?

T

Toor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$22 NL HE STT: Button steal hand, should I have folded on the flop ?

I'm playing a $20+2 SnG. Blinds are at 50/100. Hero on the button and has 28BBs, and action is folded around him. He looks up to Q♣10♣ and puts in a 3BB steal raise. Villain is in the BB and calls. The flop comes K♣J♣10♠, giving Hero a pair of 10s, open ended straight flush draw and a royal flush draw. Hero makes a bet of 3/4th of the pot and Villain 3-bets Hero. "From my cold dead hands" echos in Hero's mind and ships it.

I'm mainly asking because I'm experimenting with EV+ late position steals, and one of the guidelines is that if you risk your entire stack on a steal you've fscked up. When villain 3-bet me, I presumed he had me beat at that point. Villain is a +ROI% player, and had been playing fairly conservative up to that point. Should I have folded to his 3-bet, or is shoving there a no-brainer ?

Last edited:
T

Toor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Warning, spoiler!
If you want to see the hand results, select the text below to reveal the outcome.
Villain flipped over 4c 6c and hit a runner runner 6 to win the pot

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On that flop you are only behind KK/JJ/TT hands and even those it is only slight 55-45. You are ahead of AcXc 60-40 and tied with AcT(h/d). Given this I probably shove on the flop and definetly shove over the 3-bet.

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded few times flush royal draws,but when i call or push to get flush royal or straight flush I missed.He probably got better hand at the moment but you can beat him here for brags.To gamble or to not...

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You definately have to shove here. Standard play IMHO

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a shove for me your up down str8 draws and excelent flush and str flush draws

KaptainJim

KaptainJim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most possible holdings: AA, QQ, JJ, AK(probably with A♣), KQ, KJ. Even a possible QQ.
You are 52,454% in front against that range.
So shoving is the best option, since he will sometimes fold hands that you are behind.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is definitely in order here. It's just one of those "ah well" moments.

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certainly a shove. Theres no other option in this situation. Just put your chips in there and hope to god there good. Thats all you can really do.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands