$22 NLHE MTT: Facing a re-raise after I c-bet my AKo

C

CampaLoa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been opening a good amount of pots on this table and c-betting like 80% of the time. 3-betting preflop only a few times. I chose to 3bet all in on this flop, because of my aggressive image, I put him on a weaker ace (AJ/AQ), a medium-high pocket pair (no aces) or a complete bluff and trying to play back at me for c-betting so much. Did I make the right play here, or should i have called and evaluating the turn?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 22 Tournament, 125/250 Blinds 30 Ante (6 handed) - PokerStars Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

MP (t20680)
CO (t24185)
Button (t14365)
Hero (SB) (t17350)
BB (t3945)
UTG (t20411)

Hero's M: 31.26

Preflop: Hero is SB with K
spade.gif
, A
heart.gif

1 fold, MP bets t500, 2 folds, Hero raises to t1350, 1 fold, MP calls t850

Flop: (t3130) 2
spade.gif
, A
spade.gif
, 8
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t1855, MP raises to t4750, Hero raises to t15970 (All-In), MP calls t11220

Turn: (t35070) 9
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t35070) 7
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t35070

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm probably doing the same here and shoving here. Maybe 3-bet slightly larger pre to 1500-1700 to make it easier to get in on later streets if you hit your a or k

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's fine, I make 3bet about 1.6k because we're OOP.

C

CampaLoa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad I made the right play post flop, but I should look into my 3-betting sizes preflop i guess

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the right play was made here and I cant really put the villain on anything else. Villain is probably not calling reraise with 22 or 88 and would probably reraise with AA although a call is possible I guess. I would put villain on large pocket pairs and strong aces (JJ+, AT+). Flop seems good for us since we have TPTK and a backdoor flush. I think I would have made a larger cbet but shoving the villain's reraise is good. I doubt villain is playing with A2 or A8 and dont think villain would go all in with a flush draw.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure I like the shove to be honest after you're 3bet here. Both of you are relatively deep, I can't see him 3betting you with air on that board.

It's quite feasible he has two pair and possibly a set. People might see it as weak here but I think i'm folding my A,K after he re-pops me. Plenty of play left here, don't need to stack at this point I don't think. Again people will think this is awful and and easy call, but I'm not so sure for me personally. Amount of times I've called of and they show some A,x two pair is unreal.

I've seen people call off with weaker aces here, but when quite deep like this and tournament like it is in these stages, I really can't see someone raising someone when they was the pre flop aggressor quite a big sized raise too!

I know you can't see sets and they are hidden but what would someone be really calling with, deep stacked? suited conns yeah is a possibility so he could be re-raising you and calling your shove and hoping to hit his flush, but I tend to think two pair/set is most likely at this point. The big re-raise seems like he wants to protect his set from your potential flush draw. The main thing is though what's he calling with here? Surely not a weaker ace like A,Q/A,J. Possible he has Kings but I think he would re-raise and a set of Aces is plausible he is deep, maybe wanting to get most value out of you. Maybe I'm giving more credit than it's due but I don't like stacking at this point in a tournament with just a TPTK vs another large stack who flats a raise.

Then again, if you gave information on the villain would be easier to make a guess on range of hands of what he could be holding.

Last edited:
wislim

wislim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your read of villians opening range. Were only beat right now by 22,88.A2,A8.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's a good player his raising range will be large. Flush draws, weaker aces or (less likely) air. His range for calling a 3-bet AI is 22,88,A8,A2 and probably AJ,AQ. So i'd certainly 3-bet AI as he's only calling a small % of the time, and when he does you're not always behind (AJ,AQ etc).