Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$22 NL HE: JJ facing pre-flop raise

Kardly has been fairly aggressive but not recklessly so... 145 left out of a field of 1584, already itm

pokerstars Game #26100701702: Tournament #147626335, $20+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (600/1200) - 2009/03/18 15:25:25 ET
Table '147626335 113' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Kardly (27644 in chips)
Seat 2: Kirahf (39012 in chips)
Seat 3: dakota-xx (19862 in chips)
Seat 4: Scorn4u (14315 in chips)
Seat 5: Kappes82 (20466 in chips)
Seat 6: LARRYB27 (49935 in chips)
Seat 7: needabraclet (26910 in chips)
Seat 8: since1879 (51746 in chips)
Kardly: posts the ante 125
Kirahf: posts the ante 125
dakota-xx: posts the ante 125
Scorn4u: posts the ante 125
Kappes82: posts the ante 125
LARRYB27: posts the ante 125
needabraclet: posts the ante 125
since1879: posts the ante 125
LARRYB27: posts small blind 600
needabraclet: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dakota-xx [Js Jc]
since1879: folds
Kardly: raises 2400 to 3600
Kirahf: folds
Cabandit is connected
dakota-xx: ???

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the situation at hand, your only move is to re raise all in. If you bump it up to 10,500 - 12,000, that leaves you only with 6,000+ or so. Not enough to protect your hand if he smooth calls your preflop raise. Furthermore, he must realize, by calling your all in, he jeopardizes his chip stack to dead last with only 2 1/2 rounds of blinds and antes.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's not a nut and he's in ep so his range is pretty definable.

I think AQ, AK maybe AJ and KQ and most pairs, certainly down to 77 are in his range. A smaller number of JQ, TJ, KJ are in there as well and some smaller pairs and Axs hands. Of course a few 78s etc too.

All of which means you are ahead of his range though unfortunately only usually getting called when you shove by the part that dominates or flips with you.

Despite this I shove and hope he either folds or calls with AK.

It's a tight situation and if your hand was TT then I'd be making a really player specific decision and there would be a fair few folds in there.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can put his range on more than 99+,AJs+,AQo+ (which is the 50-50 point) I think you should be AI here. The more Ax, Kx and connectors you can put in his range the better your numbers are. The hands left to act should only be calling you with AA/KK and the pot as it stands is a 30% increase to your stack and your M is 7.

B

bobphilallo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At that stage of the tourney I thnik you shouldve went all-in being a low stack. If he calls you have a decent looking hand if he folds you have a nice pot. So its really a win-win situation unless he has better than JJ.

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe you have to reraise either half your stack or all of it, it is up to you. You need to put pressure on him and make him decide if he wants to put that many of his chips in the pot, if he has aq or ak he has six outs your favored and he is going to have to get lucky. Lots of guys wont put in that many chips with aq or even aj lots of guys raise a lot with weaker hands. So that is why you need to make your move.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know, these are the exact hands I run into right after cashing in a tourney. I used to have a saying when somebody would ask me how far they think I will make it in a tournament. I would say, "Until I get JJ". I would be pushing here because it is the best move, but I know in the back of my mind the A or K will be hitting the turn :p

JonasBluffer

JonasBluffer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering you're already ITM, the best move is push all in, because if you call, and an ace appears on the board, i doubt you call the bets, so lets the math works and push all in, thats poker!

MrDuff1331

MrDuff1331

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing you can do is go all in here! If you knew this guy was playing super tight you can fold. And yes he is raising it basically under the gun, which could mean he has a stronger hand then usual. I would be making this move because you are getting short and he already put in a raise so now with you re-raising you should isolate him unless someone has a monster hand! So at this point I would say you are most likely in a coin flip followed by being a big favorite, and lastly it is least likely that you are far behind in this hand, so this is probably your best chance to increase your stack!

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you said he's playing aggressively, I would make a big reraise. An all iln is probably the best raise, but if you want to put in a different raise thats okay (knowing that you have to call if he takes you all in). With JJ, this is really one of the better spots that you can hope for, but at the same time, you really don't want to see a flop with this hand, since its likely that an over will hit and you'll be in a tough situation facing a c-bet. I would ship it all in here.

Big_Narfy

Big_Narfy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call the bet your early hes early if book players hes on aa kk qq jj tt aks but he makes a small reraise not a large one so i put him at stealing the blinds or suited ak highest a call will not put you out i know your in the money but the pros are right most of the time if u had a A hand aa kk aks You go raise a reraise you dont therefore call is the correct move for the preflop

V

vpb0i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id call here and play the flop, just cause you are you have more than 10xbb after the call, with this range, probably low pp or the ak suited factor, but id call here and play the flop, see how it goes from there.

D

dean0208

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can put his range on more than 99+,AJs+,AQo+ (which is the 50-50 point) I think you should be AI here. The more Ax, Kx and connectors you can put in his range the better your numbers are. The hands left to act should only be calling you with AA/KK and the pot as it stands is a 30% increase to your stack and your M is 7.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is text book your only move is to raise allin as you cant just call

i disagree that his range goes all the way down to suited connectors but a range of 10s+aq/ak/kqs/aj(maybe) is pretty likely

to be honest that hand that situation it isnt really a choice

SHIIIIIPPPPPP IIIIIIITTTTT INNNNNN BBBBBIIIIGGGGGBOOOOYYYYY

R

RightMeow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally i would push it in... would be terrible if you were behind QQ and up...but it would have probably been a race with AQ+
Its always good to get it in with the best. I liked what was said first... put him at risk.