Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Bounty
Currency
$
BB stats after 21 hands: VPIP 33 PFR 19

From all the players at the table the BB seems to be a regular at this tournaments buy-ins.

Do you guys think that I should bet the turn? What about the river? This is the beginning of the tournament and sometimes I think I play way to passive.

pokerstars, $20 + $2 - Hold'em No Limit - 200/400 (50 ante) - 5 players

UTG: 51,360 (128 bb)
CO (Hero): 54,492 (136 bb)
BU: 68,742 (172 bb)
SB: 53,758 (134 bb)
BB: 56,990 (142 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(850) Hero is CO with A K
1 fold, Hero raises to 1,000, BTN 3-bets to 1,600, 1 fold, BB calls 1,200, Hero calls 600

Flop:
(5,250) A T J (3 players)
BB bets 3,938, Hero calls 3,938, BU folds

Turn: (13,126) J (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River:
(13,126) 2 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With stacks this deep a 2,5BB open raise is pretty small. But its not the end of the world, and sometimes I do this myself due to not paying attention while multitabling. The min 3-bet from BTN is fishy, and especially when BB has cold called, I would 4-bet AKs rather than just call and take a 3-way flop. Of course we are never folding any hand, which was good enough to open, getting like 9:1.

Flop
The weirdness in the hand continues, because now BB leads out AKA a "donk bet", and he does this on a A high board, which tend to favour the preflop aggressor. He leads for almost 80% pot, and I dont think, there is any play here other than call. Folding is definitely to tight, and raising would be an overplay. Even though you flopped top pair, this is not the greatest flop for AK, since you lose to AJ, AT, KQ, JJ and TT, which are all hands, both opponents can easily have. If BTN raise, and BB gives action, I would strongly consider folding. But luckily BTN folds.

Turn
The J pairs, and now BB checks to you. Now its time to do some hand reading and think about, what kind of hands lead the flop on this board into two opponents and then check on a board pairing card. And I think, boats make sense as a trap. Could also be AT, since the hand got counterfeited. Or a flushdraw, which slow down because of the paired board. Could also be AQ or weak AX, but if he is a good player, its difficult to see, why he would lead those hands on the flop. I dont think, he has trips very often, because leading with for instance KJ or QJ would be pretty weird. But all in all I dont see a ton of value in betting here, so I am ok checking back and trying to get to a cheap showdown.

River
The flushdraw comes in, and he check again. Now the question is, if he is tricky enough to take this line with a boat or rivered flush trying to check-raise us. I dont hate checking back and getting to a cheap showdown here, but I would not hate putting out a small bet for value either basically targeting weaker AX. You do need to have the discipline to bet-fold though, because if he check-raise you, I dont see, how that is ever a bluff. And of course its also not a value hand, that you beat.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You bet 2.5bbs, you caught the smallest min-bet this deep (128-172bbs 5-max) from a stronger position and a call from BB. You are next to act now. I would like to ask first of all what you've done, if you would be dealt with these hands: AA or KK or QQ?

I personally not playing deep games under 8-max. But my view on this exact game that you played, with 7228 enterants there's a small chance to win this, or doing extremely well. As long as bounties are involved, sooner or later, no matter how deep we are, as the blinds are going up mad, you 'll definitely see the stacked up players starting to hunting. As you said you may feel you play these games passive, which can indicate the fact, that if you not hit it by period, you may not be able to place yourself among the big stacks, and these stages you may struggle. So if we are in from such a deep moment, in my opinion its optimal to do a great effort to place ourselves in a great spot to coming up to the later stages, but to that its unavoidable to play pots small, but some of them definitely big.

Fundriver pointed out, its not a proper 3bet at all, at least this deep and this table-structure. If you willing to open with 2.5bbs, do ever 4bbs scare you away pre? Or what hands is this bet targetting? Wrong word, cause its targetting nothing, therefore you can call with 22 or 23s as well. And the pot still remained small,so it's not even building up the pot at all, while you may just call this off, and not even 4-bet like you did not bet this hand. So what's this tiny 3-bet really for? And yes, as it was mentioned, its a fishy bet, and probably want you or others to block in a very weird way, letting some hands in this person's hand like: small pockets, any suited high-small cards to see the flop and maybe use on you the favourable position.
If my read is wrong here, I don't care, cause we still have AKs, a monster hand, and why should be afraid really to 4-bet properly, maybe cut out a player in making 1v1? Only AA is ahead, but why BB could ever have AA or KK maybe even QQ, so we are definitely leading on one, and if BTN showed this wrong line this deep, why not calling our 4-bet still speculating the position this person have is enough for him, while we 're maybe even dominating, and will do in the whole party?

Because the pre-moves were outplayed wrong, you may took down the pot, but a very small one. Were not getting closer to hit bounties, nor table-chipleading, nothing, just won 6K to 54K. There were plenty enterants, without any harm feelings cause it may sounded hard, I'm asking when do you want to place yourself higher, which hands? The less players are at your table, the bigger agression you should have. And this is a bounty game. Don't be afraid to fall sometimes, you rather would do with a balls deep game, which could also bring you to the top places in the right timings, rather to make the most safest ways. However in this occassion, as I already speculated, to a 4-bet it would be maybe only one stucking with you, so maybe its even safer to show the power of your great hand, and then slowing down if you miss it hard, or opp showing way too much interest in a questionable party.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You bet 2.5bbs, you caught the smallest min-bet this deep (128-172bbs 5-max) from a stronger position and a call from BB. You are next to act now. I would like to ask first of all what you've done, if you would be dealt with these hands: AA or KK or QQ?

I personally not playing deep games under 8-max. But my view on this exact game that you played, with 7228 enterants there's a small chance to win this, or doing extremely well. As long as bounties are involved, sooner or later, no matter how deep we are, as the blinds are going up mad, you 'll definitely see the stacked up players starting to hunting. As you said you may feel you play these games passive, which can indicate the fact, that if you not hit it by period, you may not be able to place yourself among the big stacks, and these stages you may struggle. So if we are in from such a deep moment, in my opinion its optimal to do a great effort to place ourselves in a great spot to coming up to the later stages, but to that its unavoidable to play pots small, but some of them definitely big.

Fundriver pointed out, its not a proper 3bet at all, at least this deep and this table-structure. If you willing to open with 2.5bbs, do ever 4bbs scare you away pre? Or what hands is this bet targetting? Wrong word, cause its targetting nothing, therefore you can call with 22 or 23s as well. And the pot still remained small,so it's not even building up the pot at all, while you may just call this off, and not even 4-bet like you did not bet this hand. So what's this tiny 3-bet really for? And yes, as it was mentioned, its a fishy bet, and probably want you or others to block in a very weird way, letting some hands in this person's hand like: small pockets, any suited high-small cards to see the flop and maybe use on you the favourable position.
If my read is wrong here, I don't care, cause we still have AKs, a monster hand, and why should be afraid really to 4-bet properly, maybe cut out a player in making 1v1? Only AA is ahead, but why BB could ever have AA or KK maybe even QQ, so we are definitely leading on one, and if BTN showed this wrong line this deep, why not calling our 4-bet still speculating the position this person have is enough for him, while we 're maybe even dominating, and will do in the whole party?

Because the pre-moves were outplayed wrong, you may took down the pot, but a very small one. Were not getting closer to hit bounties, nor table-chipleading, nothing, just won 6K to 54K. There were plenty enterants, without any harm feelings cause it may sounded hard, I'm asking when do you want to place yourself higher, which hands? The less players are at your table, the bigger agression you should have. And this is a bounty game. Don't be afraid to fall sometimes, you rather would do with a balls deep game, which could also bring you to the top places in the right timings, rather to make the most safest ways. However in this occassion, as I already speculated, to a 4-bet it would be maybe only one stucking with you, so maybe its even safer to show the power of your great hand, and then slowing down if you miss it hard, or opp showing way too much interest in a questionable party.

Good luck! :)

Thank you for your input.

With AA, KK, and QQ I would definitely re-raise pre-flop that's why I said that I played way to passive this tournament :oops: you live and you learn :geek:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AA, KK, and QQ I would definitely re-raise pre-flop that's why I said that I played way to passive this tournament :oops: you live and you learn :geek:
Yeah I think, the non 4-bet is way to passive. Its a late position confrontation, and if you are not 4-betting AKs here against a min 3-bet, then your 4-betting range is only AA and KK, which is extremely unbalanced and also very passive. You mention QQ, but actually if you are really afraid, BTN has AA, then AKs is a better 4-betting hand, because it block AA, which QQ does not.

Dallam has already explained very well, what that min 3-bet mean most of the time. Its a recreational player, who wants to freeze the action and take control of the hand, so he can either get there for cheap or bluff your capped range after the flop, since you have now told him, you never have a hand like AA or KK. And of course you should not allow that to take place, and especially not when he is on your direct left. A 4-bet here is not only for value. Its also sending him a message, that he is not going to sit there and randomly min 3-bet all your opens, whenever he feel like it.