$215 NLHE: Warm-up awkward spot early

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$215 NL HE: Warm-up awkward spot early

About the 15th hand of the warm-up so not much in the way of reads. Not going to say more about my preflop, other than I like to play pots cheap early and make my ranges hard to pick up.

Anyway, thoughts?

poker stars, $215 Buy-in (50/100 blinds) NL Hold'em Tourney, 8 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker
CO: 9,875 (98.8 bb)
BTN: 9,675 (96.8 bb)
SB: 9,791 (97.9 bb)
BB: 11,500 (115 bb)
UTG+1: 10,142 (101.4 bb)
MP1: 11,525 (115.3 bb)
Hero (MP2): 9,575 (95.8 bb)
MP3: 7,917 (79.2 bb)
Pre-Flop: Hero is MP2 with 9
diamond.gif
T
spade.gif

UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls 100, Hero calls 100, 3 folds, SB completes, BB checks
Flop: (400) T
heart.gif
spade.gif
heart.gif
(4 players)
SB bets 100, BB folds, MP1 raises to 300, Hero calls 300, SB raises to 1,000, MP1 folds, Hero calls 700
Turn: (2,700) 4
diamond.gif
(2 players)
SB bets 8,691 and is all-in, Hero ????

jmasterrich

jmasterrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
smells like a monster draw (FD and SD)...But other than that I think its up to you whether or not you want to risk your tourney life this early. I mean good thing is you definitely have outs if he hits. Me, I would probably lay it down, but then again I do NOT regularly play 215 buy ins and might be more reserved inmy style of play because of that.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate limped pre flop pots, mainly coz when we flop a monster like this were left in a really horrible spot. I usually lets these go unless I have the nuts. Yep, he could have a big draw, but he could easily have limped with 88, JQ,67.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate limped pre flop pots, mainly coz when we flop a monster like this were left in a really horrible spot. I usually lets these go unless I have the nuts. Yep, he could have a big draw, but he could easily have limped with 88, JQ,67.

Do you really think his turn shove makes sense for a monster? To me he's not really looking for calls, so I call. If he has a draw his equity has dropped a ton and I'm never surprised to see a big pair that decided to limp preflop or even a worse 2 pair.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Half agree with WV but on the other hand I could see the shove being a ST8/trips trying to push out the draw which your 2 flat calls could be seen as.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you really think his turn shove makes sense for a monster? To me he's not really looking for calls, so I call. If he has a draw his equity has dropped a ton and I'm never surprised to see a big pair that decided to limp preflop or even a worse 2 pair.

I agree with you to an extent, but then again he could be doing this with made hands that are scared of getting outdrawn. IDK, I just hate going busto in limped pots.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he has hit straight or a set, he wants that flush draw out. Its better to win a smallish pot than lose a huge one. It also might be the second bullet of course.

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
id really have to fold this hand also, early in a tourney with few reads and so many hands have you beat. also the amount of draws i think i have to lay this down.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This spot really sucks. I think I'd probably fold it though. One thing I've learned is that early on mtt players, even bad ones, rarely like to risk their stack with less than what they consider the nuts. I expect this to be at least a set if not a straight looking for calls from 2-pair/set and to chase out the flush draw.

Other thing is he has better equity when you're ahead than you do when he's ahead. You have 4 outs and he has 8 with an overpair or OESD (and if he has JT it's 11). Don't think that makes the biggest difference but something to keep in mind.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well seeing as he bet the minimum and then reraised on the flop and then bet all-in on the turn, he probably has something big and you can fold

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its weird the way villain has played this. Donk betting so small and then reraising small and then overshoving the turn. I really can't see a smaller two pair or a set betting so small given that the board is as drawy as it is. I think Zachvac's point about our equity when we are ahead or when we are behind is interesting but because there is only one more card to come I am not sure it is as important as if this was on the flop of course but shows we are only ever just ahead or way behind as this is never going to be less than a pair and a draw.

The draws are still not there and I suppose we are looking to accumulate chips. We did call the flop looking for a blank turn. It is very close but I would probably fold seeing as if we call villain could still have plenty of outs if we are ahead, we still have a nice stack and the villains odd flop play which would suggest he is not too scared of anyone drawing would suggest a big big hand. Having said that, I think analyzing it I would probably fold but in play I reckon I would call having flatted the flop and the blank hitting.

I am very interested in what MP1 had that raised the flop and then folded also.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I thought this was an easy call. However, villain is representing such a narrow range -- I don't think he ever has AT/KT here. Small bet then four-bet on the flop is a strong hand. Since he still has customers after the four-bet, I think he could shove the turn with a hand as strong as 88 or QJ.

I'd really like to know what the hell he is completing the SB with. QJ/99/88 are probably in his range, don't know about 76.

R

RightMeow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something about the all-in just doesnt seem like he has the nuts at the time. I think i make the call and hope for the SD/FD or both...
Although it could be very likely he already has the 67 and is afraid of other draws. I also dont play $215 buyin, so i guess this makes my opinion little worthless :p

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a easy move. You need to fold. You cant get caught up on two pair on a board like this. In the small blind he probably completed with 67 or j7 either way he has you beat. This is just an unlucky flop for you

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you just got pwned by a J Q. Fold and live to fight from a better hand.

I can't tell you how many times I've overplayed 2pair on a flop like that. Early in the tournament, villan sees that you are willing to commit chips and is looking for a quick, early, double up.

E

EvilEmperor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off would have preferred raising flop.

The villains line smells of QJ, J6(probably suited but not hearts), 76 or 88. You would expect villain to raise up TT and probably 99 rather than limp with them so they are less likely.

Seeing as villain seems keen on taking down pot on turn I'd guess at 76 being more likely as QJ has less draws to worry about so villain would be more inclined to entice a call with it.

Villain saw you call a raise then a reraise on flop so has to be expecting you'd call here a good percentage of the time.

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold.

Hero has no read on the villian to make a bluff (or semi bluff) call. Without any reads, you probably shouldn't just call someone HOPING he's bluffing. so you have to ask yourself, "what GOOD hands can i be up against that i can beat?". probably only 98. but with all the other GOOD hands out there that can beat your holding......fold.

-m

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just not worth it to call at this point. They easily could have you crushed already, and even if they don't, the best case scenario for you is that you're up against a huge draw, which will hit 40% of the time or so. When your best possible case scenario is a 60/40, it's not a great spot to get that much money in. I know it sucks to lose all the dead money already in the pot, but you've got to get away from it.

10crow10

10crow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in this spot you are either beat already or they have a monster draw like KJ suited and will have a lot of outs to win. I feel like they way they played it on the turn that they might have the small str8 and are scared of the flush draw and better str8 coming in. A tough fold but I am pretty sure its the right one.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm nearly certain I'd be folding here if it were me. You're either 1. already smashed and drawing very thin. 2. hold a marginally better hand against a big draw - and I think this is the best you can hope for.

Considering the stage of the tourney you're in, it's not a spot where I'd be looking to stack off.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sad to say he may have something ugly like J/7 or 6/7 perhaps suited to make it worse. The mistake here was calling preflop. You allowed the blinds in free. Unfortunately you didn't give yourself the opportunity to determine the blinds value of his holding until trapped on the turn.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well? How did it all end?

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well? How did it all end?

Agreed? QQ was my initial thought for some odd reason, but I'm going to say he pushed with AJ. THen again QJ wouldn't surprise me in the least. You definitely backed into a corner with this one.

DogzBestFrnd

DogzBestFrnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seeing the cheap pot early to not give away ranges is cool, but the flop really is a bad one.
I think fold also. He either has the set or the strait here IMO. All in on a draw this early I dont see.

:hmmmm: And just a quick guess, the villian had pocket 44 from the SB. He was bluffing at the pot and caught trips on the turn.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this stage, with so much at stake and no reads, I would fold and live to win another day.