MTT
Buy-in
$200US
VP$IP
Game Options
  1. Deep Stacked
Currency
$
At the Wynn it’s the $200.00 noon daily. Starting stacks are 20k. It’s a 10k guarantee event. Rounds are 30 minutes long. We are on round 2. Big blind Ante is in play. Blinds are 100/200/200.
I am in the BB. The CO opens to $600. It folds around to me. I have QQ. So the backstory of the CO: He’s on his 3rd drink. He came here to have fun. He is very animated and likes to talk a lot. He is involved in a lot of pots. He likes to raise. The last two hands he was involved in went to the river and he got sucked out on. So he’s been pissed now for about 5 minutes
With all that in mind, I didn’t give him much credit to his open, let’s see if he’s serious. I raised to 2k. If he raises it’s going to have to be a big one so that’s why I went to 2k. He calls without much thought.
Flop is KQJ two are clubs. I bet 1500. He again calls without much thought. The pot is now 7,300. Turn comes KQJ9 still two clubs. I’m still not cool to give out a free card here so I bet 6,000. He thinks for a min this time. Then he does this weird thing like he’s stacking out big chips in little stacks like he counting up a big raise. Then he just calls. River is a 5. Flush didn’t get there but there is that big straight staring at me and now we are at the river. Pot is 19,500. I have 29k. Villain has 25k. Ok so I haven’t gotten raised yet and this guy has been pretty aggressive when he had the goods. I think he missed everything so I triple barrel but small because I want some value on the river. I bet 10k. Without much thought he pushed all in. Now I’m thinking I guess he has it. But I just stopped and thought about it some more. I just felt he was bluffing or thought I was bluffing and has a pair. So I donkey call lol won a nice big pot. I thought for sure I was going to loose there.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Sorry I forgot to put what villain had. 5,4 club club

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
In general OOP given that board I would have been more inclined to check call rather that raise. It may have ended up the same since he was on that club draw and may have bet out for you to call.

That said, you were in a tough spot since your raise sizing did not price him off of flush draws (in general, you need full pot on the flop or half pot on the turn to do that). But pricing him off of draws is only good when you feel that's the only thing you are worried about. You had the flush draw out there and the straight may have already gotten there... or was on a draw as well. So yeah, full pot on the flop or half pot on the turn may have been a bad idea because you were already screwed.

So other than the fact I would have been a bit more passive OOP on that board, you played it fine.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the Wynn it’s the $200.00 noon daily. Starting stacks are 20k. It’s a 10k guarantee event. Rounds are 30 minutes long. We are on round 2. Big blind Ante is in play. Blinds are 100/200/200.
I am in the BB. The CO opens to $600. It folds around to me. I have QQ. So the backstory of the CO: He’s on his 3rd drink. He came here to have fun. He is very animated and likes to talk a lot. He is involved in a lot of pots. He likes to raise. The last two hands he was involved in went to the river and he got sucked out on. So he’s been pissed now for about 5 minutes
With all that in mind, I didn’t give him much credit to his open, let’s see if he’s serious. I raised to 2k. If he raises it’s going to have to be a big one so that’s why I went to 2k. He calls without much thought.
Flop is KQJ two are clubs. I bet 1500. He again calls without much thought. The pot is now 7,300. Turn comes KQJ9 still two clubs. I’m still not cool to give out a free card here so I bet 6,000. He thinks for a min this time. Then he does this weird thing like he’s stacking out big chips in little stacks like he counting up a big raise. Then he just calls. River is a 5. Flush didn’t get there but there is that big straight staring at me and now we are at the river. Pot is 19,500. I have 29k. Villain has 25k. Ok so I haven’t gotten raised yet and this guy has been pretty aggressive when he had the goods. I think he missed everything so I triple barrel but small because I want some value on the river. I bet 10k. Without much thought he pushed all in. Now I’m thinking I guess he has it. But I just stopped and thought about it some more. I just felt he was bluffing or thought I was bluffing and has a pair. So I donkey call lol won a nice big pot. I thought for sure I was going to loose there.
Great job sharing lots of data
Effective stacks at the beginning of the hand is a good piece of data to share - It seems V had 34.5K or 170 BB to start?

At those stack depths our preflop raise is small based on SPR

On flop what part of the V range are we targeting with this size? Would V fold a flush draw to a larger flop sizing?

Is the V folding most of their range to any sizing? Can we then target only a portion of their range? When we do that what sizing do we use?

When a live Villain calls flop "without much thought" What is the most common holding they have?

The turn completes a draw is now the time to bet bigger? If our V had worse pair based hands do we get value at this sizing?
At this sizing do we not get the V to fold correctly most often?

When the V gives you the live tell of stacking chips then just calling -what does it mean? Is it ever a Tx hand?

How can we use that against the V on the river?

Take the time to think about ranges on this river? What is a standard range for the V to have to call your small bet as played?

If that range is narrow then we would normally target that with a larger bet 50% pot as we would have bluffs- therefore we are not just using the small bet for value we are also hoping to induce a bluff--

We want to have that thought as part of our preplan on turn when the V seems to have part of the board but not better than us and is trying to scare us on turn as the tell suggests- those players are the best type to induce bluffs from- with a small river "scared bet sizing" right after they tried to scare us.

Good job calling - great job inducing the shove

:unsure::geek: