$200 NLHE MTT: $200 NLHE MTT: JJ against an aggressor with a wide range

65 players, 11 left, top 10% paid, average stacks are about 60k
Blinds are $400 - $2000 - $4000
We have $46.9K behind and are in the SB
Villain is in cutoff and has $47K
We are in seat 4, villain is in seat 1
Everyone folds to the Villain and they raise to 2.5 BB
Button folds, we have JJ
BB is a TAG and we've only seen them play premium hands and fold when raised to otherwise.

What we know about the villain:
We have seen them raise often (about 50%) from MP/Hijack/Cutoff/Button
They have sometimes shown hands when they've raised from those positions (AK a couple times, AQ, AJ, QQ, KQ, KJ, K 10, A X, 10 10, 6 6, 9 2o, 7 5s)
There were 3 TAGs, 1 Nit, after them excluding us. The TAGs usually fold when facing a raise and only reraise with premium hands (AQs+, 10 10)
They have seen us almost never enter a hand without raising. We've had very few hands go to showdown and the ones that went to showdown were premium hands. They have seen us bust 2 players by making calls against bluffs (KJ and Q9)
When they open raise, they've always raised to 2.5 BB
They recently raised pre flop with 75s from MP. BB shoved all in (about 10 BB) and they called with no other player entering the pot.
They played a hand with us where they limped pre flop from cut off, we raised to 3 BB from the BB. They call. Flop is J Spade Spade, both check. Turn is another Spade, both check. River is a K, we bet about 1/4th pot, they think for a while and call (announcing: you either have AK or AQ, I can beat one but not the other). We win the hand.

What do we do here?

Last edited:
S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get most of your post but got a bit confused at the last paragraph. I've read it a few times and now believe that the last paragraph is Not the hand in question (I had a different response written actually). With 10 BB there's no way I'm folding here unless I have a crazy sick read. I shove and pray for a fold. If called I pray for a smaller pair. Gotta take a stand at some point man. Aces don't come around every other hand after all. To win a poker tournament you're probably going to have to win a flip or two.

PS pray you're not dominated by a bigger pair (lots of praying is necessary with jacks lol)

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a shove. It's probably got a good chance that he is trying to steal the blinds.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove is a fine play, stop n go is another line to consider but is made more dangerous having the bb behind.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With JJ this isn't even close lol. Snap shove unless it's an old man who's been a complete NIT. You can reshove pretty light here vs a LAG.