€200 NLHE Deep Stacked: $ : How do you play KK in a mid-stage MTT

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
€200 NL HE Deep Stacked: $ : How do you play KK in a mid-stage MTT

Ok, this happened twice today in the 20K euros MTT. It was the middle stage before the bubble, my chips were average, I was UTG and got KK. Blinds 200/400. Table pretty lose, a few gamblers in it.

Hero ???

B

bubonicplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many chips you have?

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many chips you have?

I couldn't find it in HH, that's why I didn't post a converted hand. Well I think about 20 big blinds. Maybe more the first time it happened, but not by that much.

jernest

jernest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you had 20BB UTG on a gambling table, I would do one of three things in this situation - all dependent on how your table is playing. You say the table has a few gamblers on it, but what kinda gamblers - call stations, aggro fish? you say you have an average stack - for the tourney or for the table? what kinda stack sizes are we looking at? With the info given these are the choices I would look at:
a) raise maybe 2 - 2.5BB (800 - 1000) looking for a lag to reraise and re-re-raise/shove over the top
b) limp in looking for a lag to raise so to trap and re-raise/shove over the top
c) if you have a/some really loose caller(s) at the table - maybe a fish with a hefty stack that seems to call everything - open shove looking for a call - especially if you have been laying the aggro thick as of late.

Of all of these, I like a) best in most all circumstances - but if you feel you wont get any action, b) might be a good choice if your table has some heavy aggro fish. I have to say I do not like c) much - your stack is a bit too hefty at this point - and you want to get action with those cowboys. plus you can still get away if an A or flush pops....

EDIT: - Sorry did not see that you are on bubble - skip option b) altogether - and now a) should be minimum 2.5 -3.5 may be actually raise 25% of stack. I still prefer a) over c) but unless your table really calls for it b) could bite you in the A$$.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends if there was antes as well. could mean your 20bb stack is effectively less.. but your def raising here. standard raise hoping to get action... get calls cbet/call shove on flop.. bet enough so you can comfortably ship the turn if called..

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No antes at that point if I remember correctly. There were a couple of fish calling raises with stuff like A10, AJ or worse. So I raised 3xbb to 1,200 chips, but everyone folded.

Not many hands later, I get the same situation at another table, do the same raise, and the same shit happens, everybody folds.

Today almost the same thing with KK @ another tourney, and it was the rebuy period for chirst sakes! (I did about 5xbb this time)

So...3 times in 2 days, little value from it, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Could it be that my table image was too tight? Should I have limped? Is it all just a big coincidence?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its only two hands.. sometimes they just dont wake up with a hand.. but perhaps you can start raising wider if you do have a tight image.. i never really have a problem getting action from my big hands.. im in there raising quite a bit :D

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its only two hands.. sometimes they just dont wake up with a hand.. but perhaps you can start raising wider if you do have a tight image.. i never really have a problem getting action from my big hands.. im in there raising quite a bit :D

OK me too in SNG's, the rare times that I do play them. But most times I try to steal or cbet in MTT's I get burnt, people just have a much wider calling range. And with middle-level blinds this can easily mean half your stack... are you successfully LAG-ing in MTT's ?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK me too in SNG's, the rare times that I do play them. But most times I try to steal or cbet in MTT's I get burnt, people just have a much wider calling range. And with middle-level blinds this can easily mean half your stack... are you successfully LAG-ing in MTT's ?

i really dont have the time to sit and play one $3 tournament for 8 hours.. when i can play 200 SNG in 8 hours and make guaranteed money... so the answer is no i guess.. i do ok i guess. moderate ROI but nothing to brag about thats for sure.. late stage i generally use a lot of the SNG concepts im quite used to working with a stack of 5-20 BB's...

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really dont have the time to sit and play one $3 tournament for 8 hours.. when i can play 200 SNG in 8 hours and make guaranteed money... so the answer is no i guess.. i do ok i guess. moderate ROI but nothing to brag about thats for sure.. late stage i generally use a lot of the SNG concepts im quite used to working with a stack of 5-20 BB's...

Wow, that is alot. How many SNG tables do you do at once?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
15-20 20 is pushing it.. i like to have very little overlap...

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise to 999, i like weird bet sizing, but anything in the range of 1k-1.2k is cool, DONT min raise because believe me, this can make you look wayy to strng to some players, and to others they will consider you weak, which even though you have a monster isnt always a great thing. If you get 3 bet, fro a good player it will be to about 4k, you snap shove over the top all day, if you run into AA, sick cooler and UL, but you should never ever fold KK pre so you didnt do anything wrong. You dont hate your opponent folding to your 4 bet shove because you have gained 10 BB's but obviously you love a call aswell