£20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Nuts on turn, raise a bet or flat, best value?

J

joester110

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Suffered a bit of a bad beat tonight in a live MTT, however wondered if I played it wrong to get to position, or just simply unlucky.

Blinds: 100/200
Starting stack: 15,000
My stack at start of hand: 15,600
Villain stack: 16,700

I'm on the button with :7s4: :8s4:

There was a UTG limp, another limp from middle position, another limp from hijack (VILLAIN). Now, it's a loose table, raising seems to be getting called by most, in hindsight I may raise but was happy to see a flop with my hand. Small blind folds, and BB checks.

Pot is 1100

Flop: :6d4: :9h4: :Kc:

BB checks, UTG checks, middle position bets 300, small raise from a play a donkish, loose player, not much respect. Hijack (VILLAIN) calls, I decide rather than play draw aggressively just call, BB folds, UTG calls.

Pot:2300

Turn: :5s4:
Board: :6d4: :9h4: Kc :5s4:

UTG checks, middle position checks, Hijack (VILLAIN) bets 1750, now here's the turning point, I have the nuts, rainbow flop, loving life, do i flat call and trap, or raise and try to take it down. The villain is a good player, often succesful, but in past has been caught bluffing, so a bluff is certainly in his range. I decide he may have 78 as well, however would he bet so much? AK, doubtful, possibly a single K or even 2 pair - 56, 69, K5 etc. I decide to flat call, UTG and middle folds.

Pot:5800

River: Jd
Board: :6d4: :9h4: Kc :5s4: Jd

My villain then bets 4400, I take a minute to think, possibly a set, slow playing all the way, even then it's quite large for a value bet. By all accounts, I felt I had the best hand, it was the second nuts, only hand that beats me: QT. I decide to raise to 11,000, villain shoves and I snap call.

He flips over whilst apologising: Qd Ts

He'd hit a gutshot on river, he after told me he'd simply sensed weakness on flop and hoped to take it down on turn with a bluff.

Was pretty sick however I can't help but think I'd have still been in and in great shape if I'd raised the turn, he'd surely fold. The guy in middle position said he had KT, so a raise may have brought him in (if he wasn't lying of course!)

Was my play all wrong, or trying to trap their is right? I thought at the time I was getting the best value to call with the nuts, but ended up knocked out cos of that very decision.

Raise the turn?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sick... I play call the turn and hope that the river will be blank. The river is very bad card for us. In this situation, in multi way pot everything was possible, also better straight. I only raise the river when the river is a blank. Here jack or queen gives somebody better straight. So I prefer only call the river. Take care :)

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quietly could also have been a bluff, for as you say you had previously missed you this also could be, I found it well played with the project that you had

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I re raise turn. I want to get myself into a position to make a healthy value bet on the river so re raise turn to like 4K, then look for value on river

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suffered a bit of a bad beat tonight in a live MTT, however wondered if I played it wrong to get to position, or just simply unlucky.

Blinds: 100/200
Starting stack: 15,000
My stack at start of hand: 15,600
Villain stack: 16,700

I'm on the button with :7s4: :8s4:

There was a UTG limp, another limp from middle position, another limp from hijack (VILLAIN). Now, it's a loose table, raising seems to be getting called by most, in hindsight I may raise but was happy to see a flop with my hand. Small blind folds, and BB checks.

Pot is 1100

Flop: :6d4: :9h4: :Kc:

BB checks, UTG checks, middle position bets 300, small raise from a play a donkish, loose player, not much respect. Hijack (VILLAIN) calls, I decide rather than play draw aggressively just call, BB folds, UTG calls.

Pot:2300

Turn: :5s4:
Board: :6d4: :9h4: Kc :5s4:

UTG checks, middle position checks, Hijack (VILLAIN) bets 1750, now here's the turning point, I have the nuts, rainbow flop, loving life, do i flat call and trap, or raise and try to take it down. The villain is a good player, often succesful, but in past has been caught bluffing, so a bluff is certainly in his range. I decide he may have 78 as well, however would he bet so much? AK, doubtful, possibly a single K or even 2 pair - 56, 69, K5 etc. I decide to flat call, UTG and middle folds.

Pot:5800

River: Jd
Board: :6d4: :9h4: Kc :5s4: Jd

My villain then bets 4400, I take a minute to think, possibly a set, slow playing all the way, even then it's quite large for a value bet. By all accounts, I felt I had the best hand, it was the second nuts, only hand that beats me: QT. I decide to raise to 11,000, villain shoves and I snap call.

He flips over whilst apologising: Qd Ts

He'd hit a gutshot on river, he after told me he'd simply sensed weakness on flop and hoped to take it down on turn with a bluff.

Was pretty sick however I can't help but think I'd have still been in and in great shape if I'd raised the turn, he'd surely fold. The guy in middle position said he had KT, so a raise may have brought him in (if he wasn't lying of course!)

Was my play all wrong, or trying to trap their is right? I thought at the time I was getting the best value to call with the nuts, but ended up knocked out cos of that very decision.

Raise the turn?

Yes, you feel it well. IMO you should have reraised cos it was a multiway pot. There was big chance that someone got something, sometimes strong hands like 2 pairs, sets... On the other hand the point is to get the pot bigger in order to make the opponent pot comited by the river.