2 tables left, 240 person 6 handed.

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at this point i was sitting in 2nd place, what should i have done with this hand...i put half my stack in and then folded which i already know some of you wont like.

full tilt poker Game #8734193735: $2 + $0.25 Tournament (66585750), Table 30 - 600/1200 Ante 150 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:31:34 ET - 2008/10/30
Seat 1: FEARLESS442 (39,661)
Seat 2: gonz789 (18,719)
Seat 3: mjp516 (42,278)
Seat 6: HC-Grinder8 (23,177)
FEARLESS442 antes 150
gonz789 antes 150
mjp516 antes 150
HC-Grinder8 antes 150
gonz789 posts the small blind of 600
mjp516 posts the big blind of 1,200
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mjp516 [Ah Ks]
HC-Grinder8 has 15 seconds left to act
HC-Grinder8 folds
FEARLESS442 raises to 2,400
gonz789 has 15 seconds left to act
gonz789 folds
mjp516 has 15 seconds left to act
mjp516 raises to 8,900
FEARLESS442 has 15 seconds left to act
FEARLESS442 calls 6,500
*** FLOP *** [7s Js Td]
mjp516 bets 11,500
FEARLESS442 raises to 23,000
mjp516 has requested TIME
mjp516: qq?
mjp516 folds
Uncalled bet of 11,500 returned to FEARLESS442
FEARLESS442 mucks
FEARLESS442 wins the pot (42,000)

i went on to make the final table but finished 6th that guy put me out on a river 2 outer.

K

KillerBoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So deep into the tourney, you must have had at least some read on the other players.. is he a tight player. Does he only bet when he´s strong? Does he like to play draws? The only time you can fold this, is if you are more or less certain he has you beaten. With half your stack already in I´d say go for it. Onthe other hand, even though you have so much in already, your still have around 20BB left to use on another hand. I would have checked flop to see another card "free" but once I put in those 11K, wouldnt have folded to a min raise. He could have had you beaten and probably did too, but it could just as easily be a steal with such as AQ if he didnt think you hit the J. Therefore, my play would have been check, and if he checks a blank turn, then I woulda bet out. All in all, you made a reasonable laydown with a half useless hand, but could have seen a free card to your gutshot. I doubt he had QQ or KK since I dont think he would have given you a chance to hit a cheap ace after he got a J high flop. Aces are out I think, unless he´s a sneaky player. I think he would have reraised you one more time preflop with aces or maybe kings

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
his opr was like 50 dollars in prizes with a -20 percent roi....but they guy was playing pretty tight, i never saw him raise more than minimum pre flop which tells me hes a rook, but i did see him come over the top of a few raises with AQ after our hand. But at this point i really didnt have that much on him, all i had seen him do was call a few raises and fold after the flop.
He went on to win, put me out in 6th, but he got lucky doin that.
He must be pretty decent.
A hand i was thinking he would smooth call a re raise with then love on the flop was 10 10. It could have been AJ, if thats the case hes a really bad player.

K

KillerBoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think.. if he´s at least half bad, he would just check call flop if he nailed his set of T. As you say, if he´s a rook/fish/not very good, AJ is possible but I dont think he would check/raise AJ unless he´s really bad... :) On the other hand, it was a 2-dollar game. Could have had KQ too haha.
Either way, you lived to see FT, so it shows you didnt fold for nothing. Next time at least you know his gamestyle :)

100kpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

If he was a tight player, then betting that flop was the best decision you could have made, because more often than not, he will fold.

Now, let's view the hand from his perspective - he raised with something, you reraised, he called. Probably he has some kind of hand (I think this rules out KQ or KJ).

Now comes the flop, he checks and you make quite a big bet. What does he put you on? I would say he thinks you have KK or AA maybe QQ. And yet he raises, and what is more important he raises min so not to scare you off completely. 80% of the time he hit his JJ or 1010.

Since you still have a pretty decent stack to go and have managed not to pot commit yourself, folding is excellent.

Well played.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is a tight player then his preflop play suggests a pocket pair and not very high. He raised 4x BB and when got re-raised just called. If he has KK or AA he is shoving over the top of your re-raise.

QQ or JJ may just call your re-raise thinking you may have AA, KK or AK and want to see a flop. Once the flop comes ten high, he thinks his over pair is good and cannot get away from them, even if you have AA or KK.

Any other pocker pair may just call your re-raise hoping to hit a set on the flop. He may have done this as well, especially with TT. Folding in this case was your only option. If it was a bluff on his part, good for him, he put you on two overs and knew you could fold to a large re-raise.

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is a tight player then his preflop play suggests a pocket pair and not very high. He raised 4x BB and when got re-raised just called. If he has KK or AA he is shoving over the top of your re-raise.

QQ or JJ may just call your re-raise thinking you may have AA, KK or AK and want to see a flop. Once the flop comes ten high, he thinks his over pair is good and cannot get away from them, even if you have AA or KK.

Any other pocker pair may just call your re-raise hoping to hit a set on the flop. He may have done this as well, especially with TT. Folding in this case was your only option. If it was a bluff on his part, good for him, he put you on two overs and knew you could fold to a large re-raise.

he raised minimum not 4x the bb.

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not mind the play preflop but on flop you should have checked. You are still major chip leader with around 30k in chips and you have a weak draw after flop. No neeed to bet and since you reraised preflop he might think you r going to check raise so he might check and you get a free card. YOu were just overaggressive

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not mind the play preflop but on flop you should have checked. You are still major chip leader with around 30k in chips and you have a weak draw after flop. No neeed to bet and since you reraised preflop he might think you r going to check raise so he might check and you get a free card. YOu were just overaggressive
he had to bet otherwise the other guy would think he was weak and take down the pot.

i cant really guess what he might have. he might have QQ like you said or maybe K or QJ. either way i think the fold was alright

R

RightMeow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everyone else is saying... it is all dependant on whether or not he has a tight image at the table. Its all dependant on the read that you had on the guy. If you had played against him a lot during hte tables you should probably have had some sort of read. But nice finish either way.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands