$2 SNG hand question

X

xinsomniacboix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey, can you guys tell me if i made a mistake here?

full tilt poker Game #10508667251: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (79371445), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:55:23 ET - 2009/02/08
Seat 1: homer13310 (2,760)
Seat 2: sn99k (2,070)
Seat 3: xinsomniacboix (1,620)
Seat 4: The_Sunshine1 (1,335)
Seat 5: TanFloppedIt (1,425)
Seat 6: baluakertesz (1,425)
Seat 7: meto123 (165)
Seat 8: pyrromaniac (1,200)
Seat 9: SCARFACETERROR (1,500)
meto123 posts the small blind of 15
pyrromaniac posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to xinsomniacboix [Ad Qh]
SCARFACETERROR raises to 105
homer13310 folds
sn99k folds
xinsomniacboix calls 105
The_Sunshine1 folds
TanFloppedIt folds
baluakertesz folds
meto123 raises to 165, and is all in
pyrromaniac folds
SCARFACETERROR calls 60
xinsomniacboix calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Ts 9d Qs]
SCARFACETERROR checks
xinsomniacboix bets 300
SCARFACETERROR raises to 1,335, and is all in
xinsomniacboix calls 1,035
SCARFACETERROR shows [Ah Ac]
xinsomniacboix shows [Ad Qh]
meto123 shows [Qc Kh]
*** TURN *** [Ts 9d Qs] [4d]
*** RIVER *** [Ts 9d Qs 4d] [7d]
SCARFACETERROR shows a pair of Aces
xinsomniacboix shows a pair of Queens
SCARFACETERROR wins the side pot (2,670) with a pair of Aces
meto123 shows a pair of Queens
SCARFACETERROR wins the main pot (525) with a pair of Aces
meto123 stands up
The blinds are now 20/40
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3,195 Main pot 525. Side pot 2,670. | Rake 0
Board: [Ts 9d Qs 4d 7d]
Seat 1: homer13310 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: sn99k didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: xinsomniacboix showed [Ad Qh] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 4: The_Sunshine1 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: TanFloppedIt didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: baluakertesz (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: meto123 (small blind) showed [Qc Kh] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 8: pyrromaniac (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: SCARFACETERROR showed [Ah Ac] and won (3,195) with a pair of Aces

I guess in retrospect he showed a lot of strength with the checkraise, but I just wasn't sure if he was another one of those donks who pushes everything, and I had a decent flop. What would you ahve done?

actually I guess the more important question is: is calling preflop there negative equity?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Next time please don't post the results. You would get a lot better analysis if you had stopped your post as I show below

*** FLOP *** [Ts 9d Qs]
SCARFACETERROR checks
xinsomniacboix bets 300
SCARFACETERROR raises to 1,335, and is all in
xinsomniacboix ????

Don't call off your stack w/ TPTK on such a wet flop. You are only ahead of a bluff here.

Preflop with the short stack BTN I don't mind the call but you have to play the rest very cautiously.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any reads here would be tremendously helpful because there is such a wide range of people that play $2+.25 including many that will donk off their chips in a situation like this.

You are pretty much dead in the water against AA and trips, down 4:1 against KK and slightly down against any combo draw. You are slightly ahead of JJ and AJ without two spades. You are well ahead of AK without two spades. Since you're getting 2:1 for your money, this is a tough decision but if villain is not that tight, I think your call was just fine.

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not a very good flop for you. at this limit though, i probably call too, without any reads on the villain.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i routinely fold this pf against an unknown UTG raiser. although, especially at $2 games, you will get players opening UTG widely, many players are not raising UTG with anything AQ beats. early stage SNG play is about survival and making it through intact to high-blind play where you play push-fold better than your opponents.

that's not to say you shouldn't pass up obviously large edges, but this is questionable. i have no doubt a very skilled postflop player could make calling pf a reasonably profitable move here, but if you have to post here wondering if you made the right flop play you probably should be tossing it preflop.

edit: and yeah please don't post results next time. seeing as this is a quite interesting hand i'll be nice and not move the thread to bbv but next time i (or someone) will :p

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's really not a whole lot that you can do in that hand. The only possible thing that you could have done differently is when he raised you on the flop. He essentialy check raised, making his hand very strong. It is difficult to lay the hand down, and with the amount of chips you had, there wasn't much of a choice.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played a fair bit in these games and sometimes this is a reasonable call.

If you've seen the villain do this before with draws, medium pairs or TPNK then you can make a case for calling.

It's very villain-dependent though - reads are everything and this early in the game I really don't think we can have a strong enough read (in fact, it looks like this is the first hand the villain has played).

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to let this hand go PF at this stage in the SNG. Flop decisions become much easier with hands like these when we're out of the 15/30 levels imo.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands