$2 NLHE STT Turbo: TT early on, Q hits on flop

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: TT early on, Q hits on flop

No reads, too early. Figured his range included hands like A8 or A9, so I decided to call turn and river.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
SB (t1435)
BB (t3600)
UTG (t1430)
Hero (UTG+1) (t1455)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t945)
CO (t1600)
Button (t1535)
Hero's M: 19.40
Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 10
spade.gif
, 10
heart.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t150, 5 folds, BB calls t100
Flop: (t325) Q
heart.gif
, 4
spade.gif
, 8
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks
Turn: (t325) 9
heart.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t150, Hero calls t150
River: (t625) 3
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t275, Hero calls t275
Total pot: t1175

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you check the flop?

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figured only better hands would call (queens) and it would fold out hands like 66-99 (excluding 88), so I didn't see much benefit in betting. I guess I could have done it to protect my hand against lone aces, kings, or jacks though...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the flop check, for pot control, plus, while it's not really a wet board, there are some draws out there, that probably hit his range pretty well, gutshot draws etc.

We could cbet it, but we hate getting called, and were folding to any raise. Opens ourselves up to being bluffed off the hand. and we don't really want to stack off here with 10's with 30bb's

Your play seems fine to me.

I can see reasons to both check and bet this flop, but overall, i like checking the best.

That river bet is kinda scary though...

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the flop check, for pot control, plus, while it's not really a wet board, there are some draws out there, that probably hit his range pretty well, gutshot draws etc.

We could cbet it, but we hate getting called, and were folding to any raise. Opens ourselves up to being bluffed off the hand. and we don't really want to stack off here with 10's with 30bb's

Your play seems fine to me.

I can see reasons to both check and bet this flop, but overall, i like checking the best.

That river bet is kinda scary though...

Yeah on the river I figured he was either betting small for value or betting small because he was scared. Turns out he had 84s.....

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop check is good, pretty standard, calling the turn bet is standard too. I think a fold the to river bet is correct, but calling isn't terrible.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty much OK with this line. I like checking the flop for pot control and because we're never getting called by worse, calling the turn seems fine to me too because now he can be betting all sorts of stuff that we beat.

Calling the river is a lot more marginal and the fact that it's a relatively small bet worries me more. Still, it's only 275 to win 900 and this can be something like A8 / A9 / maybe 55-77 that thinks it's good as well as bluffs often enough to be +chipEV. Whether it's +$EV I'll leave to smarter heads than mine.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty much OK with this line. I like checking the flop for pot control and because we're never getting called by worse, calling the turn seems fine to me too because now he can be betting all sorts of stuff that we beat.

i sort of disagree with this statement. I've seen a ton of people make calls with trash from the bb at these levels because it's cheap and then float the flop(especially one as dry as this) without improving. For example, he can definitely call a flop cbet with A8, 87s, 55-99, maybe even something like JTs, KJs if he's a spewtard.